All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Spiced Pear Snack Cake
      #123077 - 11/18/04 07:05 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

This is an adaptation of a recipe from a 1950s cake cookbook... I found it wasn't very "spicy", you might consider adding more cinnamon and nutmeg to suit your tastes. The texture of the finished cake is almost quick-bread like, making it good for breakfast, and also a little something different when you're tired of banana bread. LOL

2 tbsp canola oil
2 egg whites
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 canned pear halves, chopped finely
Juice from 1-lb can of juice-pack pears (3/4 to 1 cup)
1/2 cup raisins (optional; I used 1/4 c raisins and 1/4 c walnuts)
1 2/3 cups flour
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil, egg whites, brown sugar, and pears. Add the pear juice. Beat with a mixer at medium speed for 1 minute.

Add the remaining ingredients, stir to combine. Mix at low speed for 1 minute.

Pour the batter into an 8" square pan that's been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

Dust with powdered sugar once cooled, if desired. Cut into 9 squares and enjoy!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yum! -nt new
      #123152 - 11/18/04 09:04 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Spiced Pear Snack Cake new
      #123519 - 11/19/04 06:17 AM
tc2004

Reged: 05/26/04
Loc: Texas

Casey,
This sounds good. I wander if peaches would work in this because I don't care for pears? I would use more cinnamon though. I love cinnamon.
I'll have to print this one out.
P.S. Casey I hope your feeling better. Don't you just hate it when your being good and you get sick anyway caused from something else? Feel better

Terry

Re: Spiced Pear Snack Cake new
      #123536 - 11/19/04 06:47 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You know, I was just thinking that it might be good with peaches... but be sure to get juice-pack peaches, not the kind in syrup. If you try it, let us know how it comes out!

I'll tell ya, though, the finished cake doesn't taste much at all like pears. The chunks of pear completely disintegrate into the batter when you mix it.

And thanks. I'm feeling a little better now, but yeah, it's really frustrating to do everything right and still be sick. I think we put up with SO much from IBS that we should be immune to everything else.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 254 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2366

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review