All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
For Niki: What to eat when... (really long post)
      #100046 - 08/21/04 03:46 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

... you're sick of "what to eat when you can't eat anything", but are still too sick to really COOK.

This is (basically) the email I sent to heather7476... she can eat light Italian dressing and feel fine... if you're not at a stage yet where you can do that, just go crazy with whatever dry or fresh herbs you can tolerate. Like I stressed to her, it's all about going with what you can safely eat at the time. I probably have a lot more ideas beyond this; because of my problems with nausea, I've been eating "bland and safe" for 6 weeks now.

Anyway, here goes...

Fat-Free Chicken Gravy

Heat 1 cup water and 2 tsp chicken bouillon in a small saucepan. In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp flour, 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 tsp bouillon. When the water in the saucepan boils, pour in the flour mixture, whisking constantly, and cook till thickened. Season to taste with salt, pepper, onion powder, and parsley.

Having a little gravy to pour over top makes even boiled chicken taste better. But once you have some gravy to work with, you can also...

* Heat some chopped or shredded leftover cooked chicken directly in the gravy, and serve it over toast as hot open-faced sandwiches.

* If you can tolerate cooked peas and carrots right now, add those plus some cut-up cooked potato and cooked chicken to make chicken stew. If not, just make it with the potato and chicken for a nice change from chicken noodle soup.

* Toss the gravy with some cooked pasta (1 1/2 to 2 cups) and chicken, and cooked vegetables of choice (if you can tolerate them... if not, just go heavy on the chicken). Season to taste with salt and pepper and any herbs and spices you feel like adding (I usually add more onion powder and a pinch of thyme). Put it in a casserole dish, top with Italian breadcrumbs or finely crushed crackers and a generous spray of butter-flavor cooking spray (if you like casseroles with a "crunch" on top). Bake for about 1/2 hour, maybe a little less, just till hot through and browning on top. It's still kind of bland, but it's more filling and feels more like "real food" than chicken noodle soup! And as you introduce more insolubles into your diet, you can make the casserole more interesting... one of the last ones I made had spinach, mushrooms, and roasted onions, and I think it was pretty darn good.

----------------

My mom used to make something called "blue moon chicken", because she didn't make it very often (just once in a blue moon!). The recipe itself is pretty safe except for the frying part, but I think it could still be done with cooking spray and a nonstick pan.

Blue Moon Chicken

Set out 3 plates or shallow bowls. In one, put some flour. In the next, a couple egg whites, beaten. In the third, Italian breadcrumbs.

She always used chicken breast "tenders", but you can take the normal breast halves and cut them in half widthwise - you want chicken that's not more than 1/2" thick. Heat a nonstick pan, spray it with cooking spray. Dredge the chicken pieces in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs till well-coated. "Fry" in the hot pan till golden-browned and done, turning once. (Should only take a couple minutes per side.) You'll probably have to do this in batches, so wipe out the pan in between batches of chicken - otherwise the cooking spray burns a little and smells horrible, heh.

Serve with a drizzle of honey, or, if you can tolerate the spice, some honey mustard. If you're beyond the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" stage, you can also mix half fat-free mayo and half Italian dressing (thanks for the idea, Kree!) to make a creamy dipping sauce.

-----------

Once you have a Foreman grill, I think you'll find that you feel a whole lot better about cooking for yourself - you seriously get a lot of flavor for very little effort. On days that you're feeling kind of blah, just salt and pepper the chicken and throw it on - it takes about 7-8 minutes. On days you're feeling like a little more spice, marinate the chicken first, for about an hour, in light Italian (or any vinaigrette) dressing. It makes the grill a little messier to
clean up, but the flavor is worth it.

Until you have a grill, though, how about just trying it panfried? Cut the chicken like I suggested for the "blue moon chicken", and cook it in a pan with a little cooking spray. It's not quite grilled, but it's still going to have more flavor than boiled.

Once you have some grilled or panfried chicken, you can...

* Eat it as is. Or top with the gravy or a little honey.

* Have a grilled chicken sandwich! If you can tolerate light Italian dressing, you can definitely handle a little mustard, so mix together a little honey and mustard, spread it on a roll or good bread, add the chicken, and enjoy!

-------------

I don't know if you eat much turkey, but turkey burgers are a good change of pace. Buy a 1-lb package of ground turkey breast (make sure it's the breast meat, not the light and dark mixed). Combine in a bowl with 1 large egg white, 1/2 tsp (or more) of salt and a little pepper. Once it's well mixed, shape it gently into 4 patties. Stick each one in a sandwich bag, stick 'em in the freezer, and you have 4 quick meals - they grill on the Foreman frozen in less than 10 minutes, and probably wouldn't take much more than that in a nonstick pan.

----------------

Also, I don't know what you're eating for side dishes, but sometimes that can make all the difference in the world, to give you a little variety. When you're totally sick of bread and pasta, do this:

Peel potatoes and cut into wedges. Spray with cooking spray, salt generously, and lay them out single-layer on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Bake till golden brown, and you have oven "fries", totally safe. (Though you might want to go easy on the ketchup, if you're still trying to stabilize.) This works with sweet potatoes, too.

Mashed potatoes are easy, too. I "bake" my potatoes in the microwave (wash, prick with a fork, 5 minutes on high, turn, another 5 minutes on high) and then let them cool till I can handle them. The skins basically fall right off as they cool. Mash the potatoes with a fork or masher, and then add chicken broth (I find dry bouillon and water has more flavor, but canned broth works too) till you have a good mashed-potato consistency. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and onion/garlic powders.

-----------

Anyway, I can probably keep going, but hopefully this gave you an idea or two.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Niki: What to eat when... (really long post) new
      #100121 - 08/21/04 07:35 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Awesome advice! I know you gave ME some ideas!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#100154 - 08/21/04 11:41 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Casey you ROCK!! This is wonderful info!! I like the chicken gravy & turkey in the baggies ideas......THANKS!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

great ideas and a few more new
      #100166 - 08/22/04 04:58 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I also emailed these to heather before.....at elast soem of them....

if you can handle spices- even if you can't handle the light dressings, or can handle some vinegar.. you can make all kinds of marinades, (if you want suggestions on combinations ask).... and rubs.. just mix dry herbs together and rub on damp chicken or fish (water will do the trick) then grill it... much better grilled outside or on the george then boiled and still loses all the fat....

if you can't handle bullion (I can't find any without msg) do the make your own chicken stock idea.. you can do it cheap too.. buy cheep turkey dark meat (or whole bird) boil it in its entirety- skin and all with some onion/garlic in a big pot of water... (can be done in a crock pot for overnight or all day at work too) will flavor the broth gently... then remove all solids and refrigerate. When cooled it will form a white solid layer of fat. This can be removed. the rest can be used for gravy, flavoring, broth in recipes, etc.. I often freeze it in ice cube trays and then store the cubes in baggies... so I have small amounts for recipes...

oven fried chicken is yummy.. if you have a cast iron skillet you can flash fry the outside with a light coat of pam on the stove and then stick the entire pan in the oven and bake it instead... or just flash fry in one pan and spread out on a cookie sheet to finish baking... either with teh recipe above, or if you can handle corn flakes, or matza meal, there are lots of options for the outer coat, and always dredge in spiced flour first, hten egg and then your coating...

you can try adding cooked veggies (weoll cooked) or canned slowly to your diet too- I am ok with canned tomatoes, which opens up the entire range of spaghetti sauces and things with tomato sauces, and BBQ sauces on them... I mostly make those, but many storebought ones looked safe...

DH and I both love to cook, as we experiment more in the kitchen I'll share the results.. though some have been flops in the taste dept so far.. he was too conservative..

also- if you can't handle regular garlic, many people seem to do better with roasted garlic from some conversations here, and its easy to do and adds a ton of taste to anything.. I use it like butter in a potato too
Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

And adding more ideas to your ideas... new
      #100173 - 08/22/04 06:18 AM
atomic rose

Homemade chicken stock is worth every bit of the effort - it tastes SO MUCH BETTER than that horrid canned stuff (which I never use, because it tastes like water to me). Sometimes the DB and I get one of those precooked rotisserie chickens from the supermarket deli, and I use the skin and bones from *that* - yup, precooked, seasoned, and all - and it makes WONDERFUL stock.

Herb Ox bouillon is the closest thing I've found to an MSG-free bouillon. If you're *allergic* to MSG, you'll probably not want to use it; it does contain hydrolized soy protein, which isn't MSG, but may contain traces of MSG as a byproduct of the manufacturing process. However, for my purposes, it works fine. Since it's a grocery-store brand and really pretty cheap, you might want to try it - not everyone with IBS is sensitive to MSG, especially in tiny amounts.

I've heard that potato flakes make a good breading mixture, too, instead of breadcrumbs, but I haven't tried that yet.

I also forgot to mention FISH! Duh! White fish fillets and pieces can also be prepared "blue moon" style for fish sticks and breaded patties... good on their own, or as a sandwich.

We buy bags of frozen fish fillets from Sam's Club, where they're just a lot cheaper per lb, and then there's always that option in the freezer. A lot of days that I don't feel like cooking, I throw a couple fish fillets on a sprayed cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and dill, and bake. Served with a squirt of lemon juice when it's done baking, it's IBS-safe and the boyfriend eats it too.

When you're feeling better, and once you've worked vegetables back into your diet, try this: lay out fish fillets in a baking pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with thinly sliced onion, and a clove of roasted garlic. Spoon tomato sauce (we like Ragu Light tomato & basil) over top, just to cover each fillet with an even layer. Bake till the fish flakes easily with a fork. It sounds pretty kooky, but it's really good - even if you just push most of the sauce and all the onion off and eat the fish, it's still something that the whole family will like.

Betcha I'll have even more ideas by the time I have some breakfast and actually wake up, heh.

And one more - chicken rice casserole new
      #100178 - 08/22/04 06:28 AM
atomic rose

When you get to a point where you can tolerate soy milk, you can start making "cream" casseroles. You know the kind - the ones we all used to make with canned cream of mushroom/chicken/celery soup. I came up with this one off the top of my head a couple weeks ago... I haven't made this, but Rachel (BeckyT) did and said it came out really good.

Again, it calls for vegetables and such that you might not be able to tolerate right now. Onion might be a bit harsh for you, for example, so omit it and use some onion powder instead. And as always, go with vegetables that are safe for you. When I was starting out, all I ate was carrots, so don't feel bad if that's all you can do right now. Or, heck, if you can't do any at all! You'll get there.

Now, as for a casserole... hmm. It's been a long time since I've made
a "normal" casserole, because I've been eating bland, but I think I
can come up with something. How about...

Take 2 cups of soy or rice milk, put it in a saucepan, bring it to a
boil. Mix 3-4 tablespoons flour in with another 1/4 cup of cold soy
or rice milk, and stir it into the hot 'milk'. Let it cook until it
thickens, it'll only take a couple minutes. This will take the place
of a cream soup. Do you have chicken bouillon, the dry stuff? If so,
stir in 2 tsp of that. If you don't... hmm, let me know and I'll see
what I can think of.

To the pot, add 2 cups cooked rice, 2 cups cooked chopped chicken, 1/2
tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 cup chopped onion, and whatever veggies
you want to add. I'd totally do some canned mushrooms, if you have
them. Make sure it's still a little on the liquidy side... add more
milk or some chicken broth if needed. If it seems too liquidy, add
more rice or chicken.

Pour into a casserole dish, cover with foil, and bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes.

That should work. Heh. It will probably need salt and pepper when
it's done, almost definitely, but I don't know how your tastes go, so
I won't suggest adding any more... I salt things like mad, so my taste
buds are a little screwy.

#100191 - 08/22/04 06:58 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I second that Kree! Guess what my family is having this week for dinner????????????? Yep chicken with gravy!

I do the old fashioned chicken broth also. I take whole or split chicken breast and boil them for a couple of hrs with a tomato, carrots, celery, small onion, parsley, salt, pepper, basil, and a bunch of other spices. I use the broth for soup then peel the chicken for either a casserole or chicken salad.

When I'm in a pinch and need soup and have no broth frozen, I use College Inn chicken broth, boil some white rice and simmer it for a bit for chicken rice soup. I also add my own spices to the College Inn broth. It's not too bad.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Glad I could help! new
      #100192 - 08/22/04 07:06 AM
atomic rose

You might find that you need to really spice the gravy heavier than that. Most of the time, I use that as a base for casseroles, just to keep things from sticking together... it's been a while since I've eaten it just poured over chicken. If you make your own stock, try making it with a cup of stock instead - canned broth definitely won't have any flavor for gravy, but a richer stock will work better than even the bouillon.

Hope it tastes good! LOL!

Thanks for the ideas Casey!!!-nt new
      #100215 - 08/22/04 09:54 AM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

a few more ideas new
      #100218 - 08/22/04 10:05 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

now that I'm on lunch- I can write more.. I wrote the first batch before work this AM.. if you can handle herbs.. try curries... even just rice, chickena nd curry- curry is typically made with water, flour (thickener) and spices, which makes it safe if the spice itself is ok, and is a fairly mild spice...

also- wonderful vegetable stock (even if you can't eat the vegetables yet)- carrots, leeks, turnips, parsnips, onion, pepper, fennel, pinch of salt, basil, parsley, garlic... cook till the vegetables are mush to get all the flavor in the soup... if you want to eat the vegetables I normally add another batch of bite size pieces later.. can have noodles or matza balls cooked in it to give bulk... or be used as stock in various other recipes...

Another option: matza balls... made with egg whites only and with less oil, or without any (haven't tried replacing it, but just leaving it out works, just makes them a bit more dense) are yummy and can be put in any soup or stew just like noodles... and one of the packages I had bought for passover had no MSG (forget which).

moms favorite and one of mine from childhood during passover: all balled up stew.. matza balls, and meatballs (I use turkey) in a tomato based soup.. yummy! kinda like spaghetti but wihtout the noodles...

matza itself is also a fair thing on the diet we're all on right now, just make sure your drinking plenty when you eat a lot of it... it can cause constipation by itself.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4641

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review