All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
IBS/Gluten Intolerance/Celiac Disease
      #362554 - 12/18/10 05:18 AM
catarific

Reged: 09/25/10
Loc: Florida, USA

I have been diagnosed for years with IBS and never had much trouble keeping it in check until this year. I had continuous bouts of diarrhea for three months straight - went to the Gastroenterologist - took many tests including celiac and he concluded I had IBS and to continue being my own detective. Well, come to find, that I have an intolerance to gluten. I am not sure if it is celiac - since my blood work came back negative. I have heard that if you are gluten free (which I had been) prior to testing - you could get a false negative. Anyway, I proceeded to stop eating gluten foods - and lo and behold - the diarrhea has stopped, the stomach pains have gone - and I even noticed that some rashes I have had are gone too. I no longer have sinusitis as well and my dry skin is clearing up. For years - I have had these conditions and never ever thought of having an intolerance to gluten (wheat). So for those of you who have been diagnosed with IBS and are not finding relief (esepecially IBS D), why not try a gluten free diet and see how you feel?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Catarific.. new
      #362557 - 12/18/10 07:09 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Catarific
How is the book?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: Catarific.. new
      #362559 - 12/18/10 07:38 AM
catarific

Well the book is basically only a recipe book - it does not tell much about the diet itself. But at the back, they provide a dining out card with what foods to eat with what and how to combine the foods for better digestion. I do basically follow the combinations and now I no longer am eating wheat so I am really feeling almost like new . I have modified the provided food list to remove all foods containing gluten. The recipes in the book are not geared for people with gluten sensitivity - so I do not use the recipes - but I do follow the basic food combining principles and that works like a charm!

Edited by catarific (12/18/10 07:40 AM)

Re: IBS/Gluten Intolerance/Celiac Disease new
      #362582 - 12/19/10 06:26 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You must be eating gluten in order for a blood test to give a positive result. If the result is positive while eating gluten then you will likely need a endoscopy to take a biospy of the small intestine to confirm celiac disease.

Gluten is found in more foods than just wheat. It is in barley, rye, spelt and possibily oats.

If you think you may have Celiac Disease it is important to get a correct diagnosis. Untreated this disease can cause intestinal damage. It is probably wise to get retested. This disease can have serious consequences if gone untreated.

If you don't have celiac disease then it is possible that you have problems with fructans in wheat. This is a known problem for many individuals with GI disorders. You can read about it in the links in my signature.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362583 - 12/19/10 06:52 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

If you were to have celiac read the book by Peter Green. Not only is gluten everywhere, including non-food items, but many of the symptoms would surprise you...many more than originally thought, and not always connected to the belly.

I found the book most informative.

#362586 - 12/19/10 08:01 AM
catarific

Trust me when I say I have read every book I could lay my hands on in the library.

And there are numerous conditions that are not stomach/intestinal related that can develop with either celiac disease or gluten intolerance. What irks me is that my gastroenterologist knew I was avoiding gluten and starches when I saw him and yet he still told me to take a celiac blood test - which came back negative. Then he suggested a colonoscopy - which after doing extensive research before hand found that a colonoscopy will not determine if you have celiac disease. After again speaking to the doctor, he suggested an endoscopy, and yet again, he did not tell me to start eating gluten regulary for at least 2 months prior to the procedure. This is important because if being gluten free, the villi can start healing and not show true when examined. Think it is time to look for a gastroenterologist who is more knowledgable regarding celiac disease. That is the true wonder of reading and going into online forums and learning so much that others share.

#362589 - 12/19/10 01:34 PM
Gerikat

Wow, I would certainly find a new doc. The guy that wrote this book is the doc who helped Elizabeth Hasselback from The View discover her issues. He is supposed to be an expert on the subject.

Yes, I know about the other conditions that can develop from celiac that are not stomach related. I learned this from his book. Surprising, indeed.

Good luck in your search for a good doc. I haven't found one yet!

#362604 - 12/20/10 12:26 PM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

Just so you know Elisabeth Hasselbeck also has a book for celiac's. When I first started having trouble my family doctor thought it might be celiac's and put me on the gluten free diet. My mother-in-law bought me Elisabeth Hasselbeck's book The G Free Diet. I thought it was a really good book and very helpful. It however didn't work for me because when I went to a GI doctor it wasn't celiac's he determined it was IBS. I followed Heather's advice and diet and have been doing very well now.

#362606 - 12/20/10 03:21 PM
Gerikat

Yes, I read that one too. She is an expert, having lived with this herself for years. You certainly don't have to be a doctor to be an expert, not if you live it every day of your life.

#362627 - 12/21/10 07:47 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

That is so true!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 627 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10268

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review