All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What do you think caused your ibs?
      #358661 - 05/15/10 03:58 PM
ibsKiller

Reged: 05/13/10

Did it come on following a period of stress, did you get it after returning from holiday, did it come due to junk food etc?

Just thought it would be interesting to see what the indirect causes may have been.

For me, I already had chronic fatigue syndrome, i kept eating junk food and then developed constipation, i continued to eat junk and developed ibs. It was junk food for me.

Edited by ibsKiller (05/15/10 04:00 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What do you think caused your ibs? new
      #358668 - 05/16/10 05:08 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Kids......

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#358669 - 05/16/10 06:10 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

tee hee hee, funny Dragonfly!!!!!

#358671 - 05/16/10 09:51 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The only confirmed cause of IBS is GI infections. Hereditary is a know dispositions to IBS. Beyond that there are no other known causes although there are likely to be a number of them. There is no evidence that food, even junk food, is a cause. Chronic fatigue (CFIDS) co-occurs with IBS fairly frequently. I had it too.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#358676 - 05/16/10 02:21 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

My doc told me it was post-infectious IBS, and I'm inclined to believe her. (She was a good doctor, and I wish she hadn't moved away.) However, touchy stomachs run in my family, so I was probably already pre-disposed.

#358684 - 05/16/10 06:34 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I had a major GI tract infection after living in Italy for 3 months on exchange and was eating and drinking unpasturized dairy products and foods my tum was not accustomed to at all. I came home very ill. Plus touchy tums run in my family. On top of migraines and arthritis and hiatle hernia - guess I'm just "lucky" to get all the family hands down genetically!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#358717 - 05/18/10 11:53 AM
jhuggs

Reged: 03/18/09
Loc: Erie, PA

I honestly believe it was antiobiotics that caused my IBS. Starting from age 10 until I turned 27 I suffered from at least 2 strep throat infections a year. At 27 I had my tonsils removed. The strep infections stopped but not my IBS.

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

#358773 - 05/19/10 08:21 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

My mom has it, so I was already pre-disposed, but she has D, not C like me. Mine started after a week-long trip to France. I came back miserable, my biological clock was completely screwed up. It was all downhill from there. It probably didn't help that a doctor I saw upon my return told me to "eat yogurt" and then another told me to "eat more fiber". Yeah.......

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#358774 - 05/19/10 09:55 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I have a bunch of causes:

1. Hereditary - my great-grandfather also had IBS and also a longer-than-usual colon (which unfortunately I also have, confirmed by a GI doc after a colonoscopy). According to my mom I've always been prone to C even as a kid (no pain or bloating back then)

2. Antibiotics - I was a sickly child and I was on some sort of antibiotics (usually penicillin) at least 2-3 times a year. I had a good doctor who was very cautious about not prescribing them too often but these were the times when I really needed them. I've had it all - flu, pneumonia, even a scarlet fever (3x).

3. Lifestyle - we always ate fairly healthy at home, meaning regular balanced meals. Junk food such as soda, chips, candy were only a treat rather than a part of my daily diet. I didn't feel the need to overeat and was always pretty skinny. When I was 16 my gynecologist decided it wasn't normal that my periods weren't regular and put me on a hormone pill which really increased my appetite. I would buy cookies or chips on the way home from school and just eat the whole bag in one sitting. Not only I gained 15 pounds in 2 months but I also think this sudden junk food increase was harsh on my digestive system.

At the age of 17 I started noticing my distended belly but I thought I just needed to lose weight (not really at 130lbs and 5'9"). By the time I was 21 the pain, big C, and bloating were stuck with me. That's when I started looking into causes, go the the doctors' and eventually got diagnosed with IBS.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#358794 - 05/20/10 10:04 AM
ladyjane

Reged: 09/16/07

ANTIBIOTICS!
I swear they are the devil lol. I've always had a nervous stomach but my gassy and frequent bowel movements sped up dramatically after a couple of rounds of antibiotics for strep, yeast and acute bronchitis. I honestly believe that antibiotics have killed my gut and probiotics don't replenish them because they never make it past your stomach into your intestines alive. So don't believe the probiotic hype.

We are stuck with this "functional disorder" aka "imaginary sickness" for the rest of our lives sad to say.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1346 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15958

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review