All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Prenatal Vitamins w/o stool softener
      #347698 - 06/30/09 06:21 PM
amy259

Reged: 06/30/09

I would like to start taking prenatal vitamins but the nurse at my OBGYN's office says that most vitamins have stool softeners in them. She told me to try to take Centrum...which I don't think is a good vitamin brand. Does anyone have a suggestion for prenatal vitamins that DON'T contain stool softener (prescription or non)? If I have a problem with constipation after taking the vitamins for a while then I'll worry about taking a stool softener but I don't need it right now. Thanks for your advice!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Prenatal Vitamins w/o stool softener new
      #347704 - 07/01/09 07:22 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Prenatal vitamins really aren't necessary. Are you already taking a good multivitamin that has a good amount of iron and calcium? If so, then I wouldn't worry about it. I took Target's generic version of the "Women's One a Day" vitamins throughout my pregnancy, and now while breastfeeding, and my OB was perfectly happy with that. So I would double-check that it's really necessary to take something like that. I think the pre-natals have the stool softeners because they tend to be extra high in iron. But again, your current vitamin may have plenty of iron already.

The only other thing you need is folic acid, and I got a separate supplement for that from my OB.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 793 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1463

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review