All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Michele
      #258942 - 04/19/06 10:58 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Michele-- I saw your post and wanted to reply, but someone came by and I lost the post! I started taking lorazapam (ativan)0.5 mg/2ce a day, and was trying to learn as much as possible about it, as I've had depression problems while taking valium. "Feelings of worthlessness" was listed as a possible side effect when changing doses, even briefly. (!!!)

I must admit, I doubled up on it to go to sleep every now and again, and am already running low. When I went back to taking 2 pills instead of 4, I did get that worthless feeling. NOT fun. I'm not a fan of these pills anymore. Pain meds work much better for my particular ache, I've decided.

{{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}} for what you're going through!! I'm thinking fo you--

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Michele new
      #258965 - 04/19/06 12:12 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Thanks Nelly! I'm using Xanax which is similar to Ativan. I'm not taking much of it, maybe one .5 mg pill a day, usually at night, sometimes though I need one during the day but other times I don't need any! I've taken it on and off for the last couple of years. I'm definitely taking a LOT less of it now than I was in January, I was taking 4-5 .5mg pills a day! I've been trying to lay off the Vicodin as well, I've been averaging about one a day, usually I take it just before I leave the office so I can eat dinner and relax without being in screaming agony. My doc ok'd two a day but I try not to take that much but sometimes I just gotta. I think if I wasn't having to deal with all this physical pain, I'd be able to deal much better with the mental pain but I'm just feeling wore down right now. Thanks for the much needed hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Nelly & Michele new
      #258966 - 04/19/06 12:20 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I have lorazepam too, but it doesn't do much for the pain. They do affect your reaction to the pain, perhaps making it easier to deal with, but that's about it. I have 1mg pills of lorazepam which I only take as needed (either for really bad IBS attacks or panic attacks, which equals taking 1 mg about 1-2 times a week now). .5 mg doesn't do much, but 2 mg makes me drunk and have black-outs. I definitely have mixed feelings about this medication.

A couple of weeks ago my doctor gave me a prescription for Vicodin since OTC painkillers weren't helping. I've been in really bad pain the last couple of days, a lupus flare which has triggered an IBS-D attack and arthritis-like symptoms, but I'm too anxious to take a painkiller! I'm really worried about side effects, but I feel I need to halt this pain since it's' just getting worse every day. And tomorrow I head back to work. I guess I answered my question - I should take one, but I'm still nervous about it. Would you mind sharing your experience with Vicodin?

Maria... new
      #258968 - 04/19/06 12:26 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I've missed you! Sorry to hear your having a bad spell. Know that we love you! Hugs!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Beth new
      #258977 - 04/19/06 12:47 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

You're so sweet! I was doing really well last week, but I think I got too much sun over the weekend. Anyway, at least I don't have "brain fog." I'm a bit limited physically right now, but I can still work on my writing and other projects. Hugs to you too! How has this week been for you?

Re: Nelly & Michele new
      #258979 - 04/19/06 12:51 PM
michele

The first time or two I took VIcodin, I felt a little "buzzed." It wasn't a bad thing at all though, kinda like having a glass or two of wine. Since I've been taking them for a while, I don't get that at all and they don't even make me tired anymore! I would say to definitely take one NOW if you have to work tomorrow! I think worse case, it'll make you sleepy. There are times when I take two at a time but I'd start off with just one to begin with and in an hour if the pain is still bad, then take another one as long as you don't have to drive anywhere! The Vicodin is strictly a pain pill. It won't reduce inflammation so it doesn't really help my RA any, it just dulls the pain so I can function. You might want to be sure to take it with a piece of toast, especially if your having some IBS issues as well. Vicodin can cause some C if you take too much of it but that doesn't sound like it will be an issue for you. I'm sorry your hurting so bad also right now. I DO understand. I wish it didn't take so long for the placquenil to start working. Hugs!

--------------------

Maria Maria new
      #258981 - 04/19/06 12:53 PM
Nelly

I take vicodin 5/500 for pain. It really helps me to smash that pain-anxiety-depression-lonliness cycle. Without the pain, I do not have any anxiety about attacks because I know one pill will stop the pain attack within 7 minutes. (even bad attacks-- I take up to 2 and a half at a time).

My Rx is for 4 pills a day, which is enough to stop attacks whenever I eat. I am "bad" about conserving meds, because sometimes (especially when I first renew) I will take them at the first ache. Towards the end of the month, they get scarce as a result.

I preffer pain meds to anxiety meds because when I stop taking pain meds, I just get pain. When I stop get anxiety meds, I get monster anxiety, which is extremely scary (as well as painful).

I say whatever works. I think it's important to try everything once, because some of these prescriptions have been extremely helpful to some people. I'm ready to dump the anxiety meds, but the pain meds have been a lifesaver to me. I honestly believe I wouldn't be enjoying the quality of life I have if not for these drugs. Best,

~nelly~

#258984 - 04/19/06 01:06 PM
Nelly

I hear you about feeling worn down! Nothing like a JOB to get me aching for BED. I have about 4 cameras on me at this very moment, so I've been trying not to dip into my handbag for drugs, LOL! Kinda makes me realize how much I'm carrying around with me...!

I've taken xanax too, and it's much easier on my depression than valium. I might just hold onto my lorazapam Rx in case I run out of vics. But both of them together is just overkill for me, I think. I don't know, maybe I'll have a day where I'll need everything at once. I've done that, like, freaked out that nothing's working fast enough and thrown everything at a bad attack. Then an hour later I'm discoing around the apartment when everything kicks in.

~nelly~

#258986 - 04/19/06 01:22 PM
michele

Discoing around the apartment sounds like fun!! I know what you mean though, I had a lunch scheduled and shopping with two girls this past Saturday at the MALL (can we say panic attack waiting to happen!) so I took both a Vic and a Zanaz and weeee, everything was just ducky! Until the pills wore off when I got home and realized I had walked too much because I HURT so bad all over I just wanted to sit in my chair and cry! Its an awful cycle sometimes, gotta take a pill to get through fill-in-the-blank (ex: work, grocery shopping, the mall, whatever!) but then because you DID do something, you hurt worse but if you don't do anything than you feel so isolated and worthless. Whats a girl to do??

--------------------

ativan saved me. new
      #258989 - 04/19/06 01:36 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Three years ago i was on valium for panic attacks and it did nothing. I went tothe hospital and they gave me an ativan and for the first time in months I felt relaxed. Not dopey, just calm. NO panic. I take only one a day now which I probably don't even need. I have not had a panic attack in three years!!!

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 938

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review