All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hmmm... new
      #183686 - 06/05/05 01:41 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...fat on your arms is NOT the problem tho is it? I'm afraid to say I've heard that some people had to resort to surgery for that. But really looking after the skin will help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HELP! Looking For NON-Surgical Solution For Excessive Arm Flab Due To Weight Loss - SEE PICTURES new
      #183701 - 06/05/05 02:24 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Alright so I did a touch of research on this for you, though I'm sure you've already done tons yourself.

It seems that generally after a lot of weight loss the skin will be a little stretched but that some elasticity will come back to tighten it up a little or a lot (i.e. on pregnant women).

It also seems that having a lot of extra skin is generally the result of losing *weight* but not changing your body composition - i.e you're losing muscle too, not just fat. What this is saying is that people who rush to lose weight really quickly by slashing their calories and not doing any resistance (weight) training are, most likely, losing muscle and not (a lot of) fat, thus the inter-cell fat remains and they get that droopy skin look.

But quite honestly, I don't think that quite applies to someone like you who has lost *so* much weight. Generally the more weight you have to lose the faster it comes off, especially at first. Plus, you ARE weight training, paying attention to your body composition (body fat %) and quite obviously you lost a lot of fat, not just muscle. I think the sheer amount of weight that you lost (and are continuing to lose) is going to kind of make this kind of thing slightly inevitable, and probably that much more difficult to get rid of - as your trainer implied. (Sigh, probably not what you wanted to hear.)

So, keep up the weight training *definitely*. From what I've read, most surgeons will have you wait a year after you're done losing the weight anyway to see how much your skin naturally tighens up; I think that you should expect this to happen to some degree - maybe quite a bit (especially with yoru weight training). And like you said, if you're not done losing the weight you shouldn't consider the sugery yet.

As for the insurance thing, I found this on a Yahoo! Health site: "Insurance may cover the surgery if there are associated health risks, such as repeated bacterial or fungal infections in overhanging skin folds." I don't know if that's an issue/option or whatever... ???

I remember watching an episode of Oprah a while back (a WHILE back, after she had just lost all that weight) swinging her arms folds around proudly for all to see on TV (But then, she's filthy rich and probably got the surgery eventually, right? lol)

Anyway, hope that helps, but sorry I couldn't be more helpful

Re: HELP! Looking For NON-Surgical Solution For Excessive Arm Flab Due To Weight Loss - SEE PICTURES new
      #183717 - 06/05/05 02:58 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Here is another response from the body building site....

Quote:

"Wow! Fabulous transformation.
On the under arm skin problem. Just hang in there. It will eventually shrink. A friend of mine in town is having the same problem and she's starting to see a difference now, her second year into her weight loss. I'm also having a similar problem with my lower abdominal area due to a surgery that created a loose area. It's shrinking slow but sure"

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: HELP! Looking For NON-Surgical Solution For Excessive Arm Flab Due To Weight Loss - SEE PICTURES
      #183728 - 06/05/05 03:20 PM
Shell Marr

WOW Laurel.... thank you so so so very much... i'm emailing this info to my PT right now... I NOW HAVE HOPE!! THANKS!!

--------------------

Oh good! I'm really glad it helped! -nt- new
      #183776 - 06/05/05 06:23 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I second the wait and see... new
      #183837 - 06/06/05 04:12 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a friend of mine has lost 300+ pounds and most of the flab on her arms has shrunk, though it did show up for awhile... its her stomach that has the folds that didn't go away (she lost her leg, and is now wheelchair bound BEFORE the weight loss)... those will be surgivally removed and her insurance has agreed to cover it because she got several infections in the folds and they interfere with her ability to wear a prosthetic leg without someone else to put the leg on her!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: I second the wait and see... new
      #184310 - 06/07/05 10:51 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

a friend of mine has lost 300+ pounds and most of the flab on her arms has shrunk, though it did show up for awhile... its her stomach that has the folds that didn't go away (she lost her leg, and is now wheelchair bound BEFORE the weight loss)... those will be surgivally removed and her insurance has agreed to cover it because she got several infections in the folds and they interfere with her ability to wear a prosthetic leg without someone else to put the leg on her!

Amie

Wow Amie.... sorry that happened to your friend... but it sounds like she is doing good now... let her know that I'm very proud of her too!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 475 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2692

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review