All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Getting Health Insurance
      #146018 - 02/02/05 06:04 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

Is anyone else in a similar situation that they cannot get health insurance? I have UC, was first diagnosed in May 2001. Lost my job October 2002, along with insurance coverage. I did not opt for COBRA (should have - I didn't know this was going to be an issue!).

I am now a Realtor...we are considered "independent contractors" so there's no group insurance.

I've been turned down by Blue Cross and Unicare, and neither is willing to have an exclusion for the UC - apparently it's on their "NO WAY CAN THESE PEOPLE BE COVERED" list, along with AIDS, cancer and the like. I feel so discriminated against!

There is a program through the state that offers coverage to everyone, but 1) there's a waiting list to even be accepted, 2) it's like $300/month for one person, and 3) you can't use it until you've had 9 months of coverage. What a deal. Thanks, Illinois.

I wish I'd be able to care for the UC more by visiting the doc more often but I just can't afford to. And honestly, being a clutz, I'm most concerned about other things that might happen to me, like falling off a ladder and being able to have routine check ups.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks, everyone!

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Getting Health Insurance new
      #146170 - 02/03/05 06:39 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Is UC Uterine Cancer? Most health insurances won't pay for cancer, especially if it's a preexisting condition. I actually opted not to divulge to my insurance that I was treated for ovarian cysts (so i paid out of pocket). This way, if they get bad and I need surgury again, I have the option of putting it on my new insurance, when I get new insurance.

I'm always wary of new diagnoses, which is also why I haven't sought proper traditional treatment for my fibro. I want to keep that pre-existing condition off the books for as long as possible!

~nelly~

UC=Ulcerative Colitis -nt- new
      #146172 - 02/03/05 06:40 AM
Brendarific

--------------------

I should have known that!! new
      #146174 - 02/03/05 06:42 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

That's a tough one. What's the treatment for UC, besides initial surgery and meds? Do you have to have additional surgeries? How much are your meds a month?

~nelly~

#146188 - 02/03/05 07:14 AM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

I don't have insurance either. I wasn't turned down, but it's just too expensive for us. Along with my age and weight and high blood pressure, the premium is just way out of our price range.

My husband is disabled and I stay home to care for him. He is covered with Medicare, but I'm not. I don't even qualify for Medicaid through our state. Have you tried that yet?

I've found a wonderful doctor who lets me make payments on my bills with her. It's not an ideal situation, but it's workable and better than nothing.
Good luck to you,
Terri

#146232 - 02/03/05 08:31 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Brenda,
I'm sorry you're having trouble with this! I have CD and currently swallow about US$3,000 worth of pills a month! Thank God I have good insurrance that has me paying only about US$40 a month for these meds. Do you have Jill's book? I remember there is a section in the book on insurance issues. I can check my copy tonight when I go home if you don't have it. I remember she included lots of options. If that comes up blank, and you"re still having problems with this let me know and I'll ask my father in law, he formulates insurance plans for small companies and may have ideas on which ones are best for cases like this. Best of luck and I hope the tummy's doing it's thing!
Mindy

#146431 - 02/03/05 03:39 PM
Brendarific

Wow, Mindy, that's a lot of $$ for pills!

I currently am taking Asacol, which (God bless him) my gastro doc has given me a ton of "samples." I understand that otherwise they are kinda costly. I also take Prednisone (much to my dismay) but that is very cheap. As I said, it would be great to be covered for the UC, but heaven forbid I break my leg or something, that kind of thing worries me. I'm a clutz!

I did check out Jill's book awhile back from the library. If you could recommend a few insurance companies to try, that would be wonderful. (I live in IL.) That is very kind offer on your part to ask you father in law! I appreciate it!

Thank you so much!

--------------------

REPOST: Getting Health Insurance new
      #277913 - 08/10/06 01:43 PM
Brendarific

Quote:

Is anyone else in a similar situation that they cannot get health insurance? I have UC, was first diagnosed in May 2001. Lost my job October 2002, along with insurance coverage. I did not opt for COBRA (should have - I didn't know this was going to be an issue!).

I am now a Realtor...we are considered "independent contractors" so there's no group insurance.

I've been turned down by Blue Cross and Unicare, and neither is willing to have an exclusion for the UC - apparently it's on their "NO WAY CAN THESE PEOPLE BE COVERED" list, along with AIDS, cancer and the like. I feel so discriminated against!

There is a program through the state that offers coverage to everyone, but 1) there's a waiting list to even be accepted, 2) it's like $300/month for one person, and 3) you can't use it until you've had 9 months of coverage. What a deal. Thanks, Illinois.

I wish I'd be able to care for the UC more by visiting the doc more often but I just can't afford to. And honestly, being a clutz, I'm most concerned about other things that might happen to me, like falling off a ladder and being able to have routine check ups.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks, everyone!

I am reposting this with hopes that anyone might have a suggestion. I am still in the same situation, except now I am no longer taking any meds. I just deal with it and watch what I eat. I know now what foods set me off, and try to avoid them.

I am really in a bind with this. I have other things going on in my life that I don't have time for a full-time, 9-5 job... I think that is the only way I can get insurance is with a large group plan.

Please help if you can. This stinks. And it scares me that if something happens, I could be in a real financial mess!

Thanks, all!

--------------------

#277920 - 08/10/06 02:32 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Have you looked into the HIPAA rules to see if there's anything you can leverage to help your situation? Here is a short fact sheet that will at least get you started.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/newsroom/fshipaa.html

Wishing you all the best...

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#277921 - 08/10/06 02:34 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Nelly, I've got the same dilemma... for a few years, I've had a collection of vague symptions that very much sound like what I'm reading about fibromyalgia, but I'm afraid if I get that label attached to me, it will be the kiss of death for my insurance coverage someday.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 650 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1778

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review