All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
about depression new
      #113069 - 10/14/04 05:09 PM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

Hello all. I saw my doctor today to get results of thyroid level bloodwork I had done. I take synthroid for hyperthroidism & just knew my thyroid levels were out of wack. I have been moody, depressed & having a hard time sleeping for the past two weeks. I have been one big mood swing, one minute I feel like bursting into tears & then the next I could rip someone's head off. This is so not me; I have my moments like everyone does, but not like this. I feel like I am living in a strangers body. I am not suicidal just MOOD SWING DAISY. My thyroid levels were just fine; my doctor diagnosed me with depression. She said it could be hormone related or even IBS related. I am doing fine with my IBS. It seems like this depression came from out of nowhere, is this normal? Is depression part of IBS? My doctor prescribed Zoloft. I took my first pill tonight. I am depressed that I am taking an anti-depressant; but I want to feel myself again. Any comments, thoughts would be appreciated.

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: about depression new
      #113079 - 10/14/04 05:55 PM
LeeW

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Lancaster Co., Pa.

Hi- I don't know about a connection, but I can tell you that when I am having a flare-up (lots of spasms) and am having trouble eating and am anxious all of the time- I get depressed... Who wouldn't! I have been depressed at other times in my life and have never taken an anti-d, but went to lots of therapy! I did take Ambien to sleep and to break the insomnia cycle- and that helped a lot. Are you sleeping? I find fatigue makes depression worse. Try the meds for a month or so, (most need that long to build to a therapeutic level) and see how you feel. Good luck!!

#113091 - 10/14/04 06:55 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Do you know if it's a low doese AD? If do it could be for something other than depression. If you dont' agree with doc's prognosis...maybe go for a 2nd opinion?

*hugs* i would trust your gut. Has anyone ever told you you were depressed before (doc, fam member, close firend?) If not...you may want that 2nd opinion. If they have....consider why they have and how you feel about it. If you think they'rw wrong, maybe discuss it with them...if you think they're right then you have your answer..

wish I could be of more help *hugs*

Feel good...and cheer up!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#113123 - 10/15/04 03:09 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

I agree that IBS can make us depressed in a way, that's hardly surprising, but you say your IBS is okay right now. Mood swings are something else again - they are often linked to hormones - thyroid problems interact with female hormones a lot and are renowned for causing problems both with depression and anger. I know this from friends, not personal experience, so can't give advice, but maybe you should do some internet research on the thyroid connection - maybe it is something that fluctuates and needs retesting?

Josephine

Re: about depression/Replying to all new
      #113124 - 10/15/04 03:26 AM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

I am replying to all your posts with one post:). After giving it some thought, I do agree with the doctor's diagnosis. I have gone through some significant life changes & have a big one coming up. My best friend of 20 years whom I have lived within 30 mins of for 19 of those 20 years is moving to Florida. I thought that I was handling all of these things well, but I guesss I am not the superwoman that I thought. My thyroid levels are fine. I told my doctor that I really didn't want to try the anti-depressant, but I hate feeling the way that I am. She said well lets try it for a month or two & see how you do & then we can ease you off of them. I feel better knowing that there is a plan. I am so thankful for you guys. Big hugs.

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

Re: about depression/Replying to all new
      #113125 - 10/15/04 03:33 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

None of us are quite the superwomen (or supermen) we'd like to be! Good to know you have a supportive doctor - it's important to come off ADs gradually. You will probably feel much better soon, but remember you can always come back here if you need to whinge a bit ...

Josephine

#113126 - 10/15/04 03:37 AM
UrbanRain

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley), Calif.

Hello, everyone. As a chronic depressive since adolescence; I can state that there is a link between my mood and digestive health. I've taken antidepressants for almost 20 years (out of necessity, as I'll get gravely ill if I don't).

It's almost like "which came first, the chicken or the egg." My IBS symptoms exacerbate the depression (and anxiety, for which I smoke --a definate no no) which in turn puts me in a lousy mood which makes the IBS worse. It can be a vicious cycle. My friends and family do not take the IBS too seriously (which I'm learning is NOT my problem, it's theirs), which also aggravates matters).

This post may not give you an immediate, practical solution; yet, I've found that validation (through talking with friends, or prayer) can help both disorders considerably.

Take care, Bob

PS I'm doing the ALA's 7-steps program to address the smoking.

--------------------
Life is transitory, love is not!

Re: about depression
      #113145 - 10/15/04 05:35 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Hello Daisy
I am also taking Zoloft. Let me tell you now if you start haveing side effects they will probbaly go away after a few weeks!!! I had Sweats, Shakes, Felt tired all the time, loss of sex drive. All have gone away!! It took about three weeks. The shakes took a little longer!!

My Brother in law has thyroid problems and let me tell you is he is mood swing donald some days from it. Now you have thyroid and IBS. Who wouldn't get depressed. I had problems in the past with depression but was doing realy well till the IBS came along!! That is when I knew I needed some meds. It is a bouns that the have helped the IBS as well.
There are lots of us taking AD's on the boards. I know there are at least five of us on zoloft. Do a search with no time limits and you will lots of posts and info on this.
You are not alone!!! We are all here for you if you need to talk or have questions or just need to vent!!!
I hope you feel better soon!! I am glad your IBS is doing well. That is GREAT news!!!
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

Welcome! new
      #113183 - 10/15/04 06:59 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hey Urban! Welcome! I can relate to your description of the viscious IBS-anxiety-pain-depression cycle. Well said!

It's so true that if you tackle even one of the spokes in the wheel, you can break the whole cycle! By getting the IBS under control, even moderately(!), I've managed to lessen the severity of my anxiety, reduce the pain, and make me a thoroughly less-depressed person. Not giddy and happy, mind you, but at least acerbic, thoughtful and witty (I've had terrible results with mood stabilizers and anti-depressants. They aggrivate my suicidal tendencies and tendency to self-injure).

And I can sleep at night now, with the pain and anxiety gone, not like when I was jumping out of my skin on prozac or zoloft!! Sleep is key! I'm really glad those drugs work for some people!! Whatever breaks that cycle, I'm for!!!

~nelly~

#113203 - 10/15/04 08:02 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I was somewhat reassured to find this posting. The last three months I too have been in a stranger's body. Ripping into folks for no reason, crying hsyterically in the wee hours of the morning, unable to sleep....I have begun taking 5-HTP, a natural amino acid spplement to help with these problems. It has done wonders for a relative, so I am going to try it. I think my problem is hormone related, and my GYN said if PMS did not improve, he would also treat me with an anti-depressant. I was on Prozac for a couple of years post-partum with my second son and I did get relief. So, I'm hoping the 5-HTP will work instead of meds.

If IBS is all part of this....and mine has been horrible the past year!...it is a bumpy ride! But God is bigger than all of this, so I am trusting Him to show me the way out of this very disturbing place. Know you are not alone!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2320

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review