Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Horrifying gym experience!
      #258810 - 04/18/06 08:25 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey ya'll (where my girls at, sinead and tina? ),

So I went to the gym today to take the "Body Blast" class that I had gotten to taken on Tuesday nights until about 5 weeks ago, when I stopped going due to... major laziness.
It is a step class that uses weights and resistence bands so you are constantly moving and lifting and... it's hard, but I always really enjoyed it. So today I was the only one that just had the step, and everyone else had at LEAST one riser, most of them had two.. some had three!
So I got embarassed, and got one level risers for me, thinking it would be alright because I had been so many times before and done pretty well...

It. Did. Not. Go. Well. I was definitely the most unfit, I kept catching a glance of myself in the mirror and I was just shocked by my body. I actually have a tummy that hangs OVER my pants now.. which is new. I noticed it the other day and was quite discouraged, but to see it while I was jumping around, oh my gosh!

To make matters worse, I kept having to stop and my face got like burning hot and I started to feel like I was gonna pass out! I kept having to go and take drinks of water and deep breaths - I am so out of shape, I can't even believe it! I have never had an experience like that before. I felt like my arms and legs turned to lead after some exercises and couldn't carry on, it was so embarassing.

At the end of the class when we were stretching, I was lying on the mat and I was pretty much crying because I was so embarassed and disappointed.

I really do need to get serious about the weight loss thing now, I think I am actually really unhealthy at the moment.

I guess I really need some help, girls.
What a disaster!

I am thinking of posting "Before" pictures as a motivation, but I am pretty embarassed.

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Poor Stephie! new
      #258836 - 04/19/06 02:46 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

You have just cited the reason why I have not gotten back into taking classes at the gym- I am wayy too scared that I will collapse or be the most unfit there!!

That class sounds really difficult and you probably just did too much too soon given that it's a while since you have been to the gym.

Don't be discouraged- turn this around- use it as your motivation. Your short term goal is to be able to do this class in say, two weeks, with no risers. Get other cardio exercise at your own pace and maybe do a beginners level class a couple of times a week to get back used to exercising with a group.

You CAN do it Stephie, and we will watch you

Hang in there.

PS Good work for going to the gym <pat on the back>

--------------------
S.

Re: Horrifying gym experience! new
      #258848 - 04/19/06 04:16 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

I can understand the fear of embarassment, but isn't a gym for becoming healthy and fit when you aren't?

I believe that it doesn't matter how fit you are when you started, just how fit you are at the end. I'm sure all those other people in that class started like you did (or re-started,I should say). Boo to them if they say otherwise. You are making an effort, and you should do it at your own pace, when you're comfortable.

Power to you!

#258874 - 04/19/06 06:33 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hugs, Stephie. I feel the same way. I have a belly pot - the first time in my life INCLUDING AFTER I had kids. My elliptical is being delivered today, so I hopt to get my a$$ moving! Remember, a bit at a time. Don't try to overwhelm yourself. HUGS!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

From the other side... new
      #258879 - 04/19/06 07:35 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Stephie, I am by far, not very fit right now. But in the not too distant past (before pregnancy) I was in semi decent shape. At least, I LOOKED like I was in shape. And I took classes. And there were people in class who didn't "appear" to be in as good of shape, and I never, ever, ever thought anything badly of them because I was always struggling too! And more worried about myself. I guarantee everyone else in that class was worrying about themselves and not you. Whenever I go to classes I sort of feel like "we're all in this together!", sort of like the teacher vs. us, you know? But at the same time, you are there for yourself, and you know your limits, and you know your goals and that's all that matters. Everyone's body is so different that it doesn't even do any good to pay attention to anyone else's. DON'T let your embarrassment get the better of you---I think going to classes is great and really makes a difference and you should keep going.

By the way, I never used a ton of risers either. Only 2 at my MOST fit, usually only one. And it wasn't easy! Believe it or not, give yourself enough time and put enough into it and you'll be adding risers yourself.

Don't be discouraged! It's great that you're excercising!!

--------------------

#258892 - 04/19/06 08:29 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh no!!!!!!!

I've been there in terms of going to a class that was too hard for me! You have to start super slow and just do what you can!

The fact that you're going to the gym again is SUPER. It will help you get rid of the belly overhang! It will take time though. I still have a belly but I know when I lost 15 lbs when my ibs was bad, my tummy was ultra flat. So it's possible to get a big tummy down. I did it. I think it comes with a lot of weight loss -- not ab exercises.

Don't get too discouraged! It takes time to get in shape. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. new
      #258893 - 04/19/06 08:32 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I have been in weight lifting classes where the 60-70 year-old women totally kick my butt weight wise. Age doesn't matter, it's experience. The more classes you go to, the better you'll get!!!

Those older women in the gym totally inspire me too!

#258973 - 04/19/06 12:43 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

DON'T WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK AT THE GYM!!!

You are there for YOU... it's not a talent show or a pageant and your not being judged.... you know when you ARE judged? When you give up or stop coming.... people will notice THAT. There are lots of people who come up to me and say things like, "dang you are really strong" cuz they have seen me in class.... (but I've never noticed them before).... I really don't pay attention to most of the people in the classes unless they are silly, goofy, class clowns, and teachers pets like me!! hehehe Really.... don't worry about others.... I'm STILL out of shape for a girl my age.... but I'm in a heck of a lot better shape then I was a year and a half ago....why? Cuz I DON'T care what others think... if they think I'm fat and out of shape..cuz you know what? I can kickbox their butts right out the door...hehehe (which by the way...I stop about 6 times during kickboxing class and drink water and get my heart rate back down). And the few times that I've taken "Step" class... I've only used ONE.... it is a hard class girl... just be proud of yourself that you took it in the 1st place!!

IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU!! Saddle Up.... and GO!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Aw, you guys are so great! Thanks! new
      #259072 - 04/19/06 08:48 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Thanks bunches guys! I was feeling so low yesterday, but I am hoping that I can just use it as motivation to get my butt in gear and get back to where I want to be.
Adrian and I went and did a big shop at a less expensive grocery store so we could get more food and I got all healthy stuff, lots of stuff to freeze so hopefully I can plan meals easier and stuff.

My two big goals right now are: No chocolate (I may let myself once a week, but maybe not at first) and no pop. Pop is a big weakness for me.

Oh, and needless to say, I am in AGONY today in my thighs from the class. I knew it was coming, though. Hee hee.

Thanks again, ya'll!

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Aw, you guys are so great! Thanks! new
      #259113 - 04/20/06 06:42 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

YOU GO STEPHIE, YOU CAN DO IT!

The no chocolate thing is only really hard one week a month for me (PMT week) but it is possible and when I do eat it I do feel sick so I need to stop (had 2 squares today though)

Pop is EVIL. Mmmm sweet sugariness. Is it diet or regular? If regular it's just empty calories and you are better to have a juice or smoothie that at least has nutritional content. If diet then sweeteners and fizz are bad. I can tolerate the sweeteners but I shake the bottle til there is only the tiniest little bit of fizz left.

Poor you with your thighs. Could you go do some gentle exercise that doesn't use them too much to try to work it out or is that out of the question? Maybe swimming or the cross trainer?

Hang in there, we are all on this journey together and we're with you every step!

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10349

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review