All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questions-to much pain. What am I doing wrong? new
      #99652 - 08/20/04 07:45 AM
Lynn m anderson

Reged: 04/23/04
Loc: Mission Viejo, Calif (orange county)

I found out after many doctors and test that I have IBS. I found your web-site and have been reading and following the recipes. For the past 2 wks I've been hurting so badly and trying to maintain a full time job and family. I'm either in tears or jumping on someone. I've been drinking the fennel tea and just eating sourdough bread because of the pain. Went to the doctor again and they gave me a medicine to try for a month called Donnatal. Should I take this? Please someone tell me how to handle this pain. I'm the type of person who is quite and tries to handle things own my own but right now I'm at the breaking point
--thank you for any response
Lynn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Questions-to much pain. What am I doing wrong?
      #99654 - 08/20/04 08:26 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

It's hard to tell what the cause of the pain is without looking at everything you're eating. Have you tried peppermint tea? It has natural painkillers in it - I would try that over the fennel.
SOurcough bread should be fine as long as it's plain.
Where is the pain? What is it like?

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Questions-to much pain. What am I doing wrong? new
      #99663 - 08/20/04 08:43 AM
Lynn m anderson

The pain is in my lower stomach area. All I eat at work is fruit. Dinner I eat Beets and artichokes. I did eat a salad on saturday night because we went to dinner. That's basically been my diet lately. I have been drinking the peppermint tea also. It would calm my tummy alittle but the pain was still there.

#99673 - 08/20/04 09:03 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm willing to bet that's a good part of your problem. Have you read over the diet guidelines here? How to Eat for IBS If you're really eating basically nothing but fruits and vegetables, you're doing more harm than good... reading through the diet advice there will explain everything. Basically, what you're eating is insoluble fiber - and what you need to be eating is soluble fiber, to cushion the insolubles and make them "safe". Definitely check that information out. Good luck!

PS - Welcome!!

Ooops, I think I misread you... new
      #99674 - 08/20/04 09:06 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You're eating sourdough bread... are you eating some of that *every single time* before you eat something like fruit?

A lot of us, by the way, can't tolerate raw fruits and vegetables very well at all, especially at first. Salads are especially hard; I don't think there's many of us who can eat them at all anymore. It's hard, but for the first few days of the diet, it's really recommended to eat nothing but solubles, and add the insolubles back in slowly, carefully, and safely. Starting out with nothing but BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) for the first few days might really do a lot to stabilize your pain, if you haven't tried that already.

Sorry about the misread!

Re: Ooops, I think I misread you... new
      #99683 - 08/20/04 09:40 AM
Lynn m anderson

Thank you so much. Is Payapa a bad thing to eat? I will start on all solubles and see if that helps. No I haven't eaten the bread before eating the fruit. The fruit are just little cups of fruit without the skin.

#99688 - 08/20/04 09:49 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Owie! I ran into similar difficulties in the past when I tried to "treat" my C by eating lots of raw carrots and bran cereal.

As other people have suggested, please read the pages on this site about the IBS diet. Eating that much insoluble fiber will for sure give you the cramps from hell! Conversely, you can start ramping up the fruits and veggies once you have a good soluble base.

Peppermint tea (as strong as possible) and heat are the best short-term fixes for cramps (that don't require a prescription).

--AC

#99721 - 08/20/04 11:28 AM
Lynn m anderson

Thank you all for responding.I will get start on my peppermint tea and soluble foods.

#99741 - 08/20/04 12:28 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Plain old fruit ... is NOT safe! It can be a terrible trigger - it's mostly insoluble fibre and will give almost any IBSer a bellyache!
Bananas are fine, as are papayas and mangoes. Things like apples, peaches, oranges, are best peeled and cooked.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1210 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1394

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review