All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Two Days Down, Three to Go!! -- Countdown to SIX MONTHS STABLE!!!!
      #87325 - 07/07/04 01:09 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Awright! I made it through another day, no D. That means three days to go to a full SIX MONTHS D FREE!!

Bless you Heather!!

Okay, more do's and don'ts. NO RED MEAT!!!

In six months, I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I've eaten red meat. I had one small lamb chop (maybe 2 oz of meat total and that's stretching it), two bites of steak another time, and one SMALL hamburger patty. And on ALL THREE occasions my tummy started rumbling and grumbling and I had to take an Imodium or I wouldn't be about to celebrate six months!

So what have I been eating. A LOT of freakin chicken!! White meat only of course. When I first started out in January, I asked Andy to poach it for me, which is very easy in the microwave (DON'T ask me how, okay). He'd poach it in chicken broth seasoned with salt, pepper, onion powder and oregano. When my tummy was so sick it tasted SO GOOD! As I got better, he started marinating and grilling it for me. He got it a little too spicy once -- he had an oops with the hot sauce!! He also has a couple of other standard ways that we like it, his mom's recipe for sauteed chicken breasts which has a little more fat of course, and a broiled skinless chicken breast with LOTS of paprika (YUM). Plus when we order Chinese, I get steamed chicken with mixed vegetables, sauce on the side. I get three meals out of that.

But you can only eat so much chicken. Unfortunately, I only like certain types of seafood. Anything with too strong a fishy taste or too icky a texture makes me gag. So I eat A LOT of canned tuna. Another one of my staples. Once I got stable enough to handle the mayo (or substitute of your choice), tuna salad became a regular meal. I like grilled fresh tuna too. Just had some last weekend. Salmon as long as it's not too strong. Flounder or sole. Shrimp and lobster (but not too much at once because it's so rich). And that's about it on seafood. Love sushi but not the strong flavors or chewy ones.

What's that leave? Egg whites, tofu, nuts. Thank goodness I'm okay with peanut butter. PBJ's have become a constant. Oh yeah, white meat turkey. Love it. There's a deli right near us that roasts their own. We buy a quarter pound and that's TWO meals for me!

But NO RED MEAT!! No beef, no pork (or bacon or ham -- WAH!!). Not even veal. Aside from ethical objections, a veal chop triggered me once. I ate too much and it was just too greasy. No lamb. No hotdogs, bratwurst, chili dogs, bologna, salami, pepperoni, NOTHING!!

How do I do it? Easy. If I cheat, I get sick. I don't want to get sick so I don't cheat, it's that simple. Is it always easy? No. Especially when Andy buys himself a steak and cooks it at home with me looking on forlornly (he doesn't do it often). But I still won't cheat. Like Bev says, "Ewww, dead cow carcass!" I guess it helps that I was semi vegetarian for quite a while.

But mostly it was Heather's books that finally convinced me to give up red meat for good in January (other than those minor examples I gave above). And now that I think of it, that's probably the single biggest factor in getting stable this time.

So I repeat, Bless you Heather!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Two Days Down, Three to Go!! -- Countdown to SIX MONTHS STABLE!!!! new
      #87351 - 07/07/04 01:31 PM
LauraSue

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Go you! new
      #87353 - 07/07/04 01:36 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm still rootin' for ya... I know you can do it!

Out of curiosity - since you mentioned red meat and pork - have you ever tried turkey ham? Or is that a big no-no (because of preservatives and whatnot)? I love the stuff, and find I can eat it without any rumblies since I don't eat it but a couple times a year... so I was just curious.

I was vegan for a short while, and vegetarian for quite a bit longer than that... I didn't have any problems at all giving up red meat this time around, either.

Great tips, LS!

Re: Go you! new
      #87355 - 07/07/04 01:42 PM
LauraSue

Actually, I have eaten it in the past because it was lower fat lower calories. But now I think I'd shy away from the other ingredients. I'd bet anything it has one of the stealth forms of MSG, which can be a problem for me.

I don't really miss it as much as I miss bacon though!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#87364 - 07/07/04 01:57 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yay Laura!!! I know you can do it, just keep going...and going, and going.
You are definitely an insperation for me.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#87434 - 07/07/04 04:13 PM
LauraSue

Thanks, sweetcakes!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#87456 - 07/07/04 05:23 PM
raindew01

Reged: 07/07/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario - Canada.

That's wonderful, LauraSue! Congratulations! (and geez, that gives me hope.)

I get the feeling you don't like tofu. (grinning.) Have you tried all the different soy "meats" out there? There's some pretty good stuff--especially stuff like tvp; you put it in vegetarian chili, and it's wonderful.

Anyway--congratulations. I'm so glad for you.

#87458 - 07/07/04 05:25 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Sweetcakes?? Awwwwwwwe...Blush, blush, blush!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

TVP rocks! new
      #87473 - 07/07/04 05:47 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It makes good chili, for sure. It also makes a pretty good shepherd's pie, with a little tinkering.

But I gotta tell ya, tofu is impossible for me. If you have any really good recipes for it, consider posting them in the recipe forum? Pretty please? *bats eyelashes* Recommendations for soy "meats" that are tasty would be nifty too. I used to live on some of the Morningstar Farms fake chicken stuff (the patties! mmmmmmmmmmmm...) but they're still pretty high in fat, I think.

Re: TVP rocks! new
      #87476 - 07/07/04 05:53 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Casey, what kind of tinkering has worked for you? I'm just curious b/c I've been meaning to try some shepherds pie with TVP.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 252 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3465

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review