Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Effect of Aleve/Naproxen new
      #58979 - 04/07/04 08:14 PM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if it's possible that aleve/naproxen can be a trigger. It almost always causes me pain but it's what my neurologist has me taking for my migraines if the pain is a seven(1-10 pain scale) or worse. My parents and I were already thinking about asking her there's anything else I could take but I just wanted to see if any of you have had experience with this. THanks so much! Have a great night!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Effect of Aleve/Naproxen new
      #58998 - 04/07/04 09:30 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello!
I actually just recently posted a question regarding this. I personally find that Naproxen upsets my stomach and I think it's definately a trigger, but I haven't found another pain medication yet that works as well for my endometriosis, so I take it anyways. I'm going to include a link to the thread that I had started about this, because a lot of people had some good suggestions: http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=57944&page=&view=&sb=5&o=

#59010 - 04/08/04 02:32 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Afraid I've never heard of these (what's in them?), but unfortunately lots of meds for other things do cause IBS flare-ups. These damn sensitive tummies! Talk to your doc.

Re: Effect of Aleve/Naproxen
      #59072 - 04/08/04 07:53 AM
courtneyF

Reged: 03/19/04
Loc: Virginia

When I first went the doctor last year they told me stop taking Aleve or ibuprophen for pain. I was taking painkillers too like Hydrocodeine and other stuff, my pain was so intense and I just wanted it to go away. They said if I needed to take med for pain to take Tylenol, it is easier on the stomach. He said that Aleve has ingredients in it that tear at the stomach lining and eat it away which causes worse irritation. I take Tylenol Extra Strength now if I need to take any pain medicine. Hope this helped!

Courtney*

#59111 - 04/08/04 09:18 AM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

Thank you SO much. I'm going to ask my Dr. about Ultracet b/c I find that tylenol doesn't hurt my stomach as much as others, but isn't quite strong enough for bad migraines. This was so helpful..I don't feel quite in the dark now. Because before we asked and they said that if I don't have an ulcer than I can take NSAIDS (even if they hurt?). Luckily we weren't going to trust that. Thanks much! HOpe you are all well!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

#59125 - 04/08/04 09:54 AM
JuLee

Reged: 03/23/04
Loc: Flushing Queens NYC

i used to take aleve alot.

the big trick is that you CAN NOT have an empty stomach before you take it...i swear it feels like you will die if you do!

have a nice chunk of bread or some rice or pasta then take it. i used to have naproxen prescription strength...before i even had IBS...and if you take it without food WATCH OUT...cause you'll feel worse than before.

#59413 - 04/08/04 07:38 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Tara you poor girl! If I'd had migraines in high school plus IBS, I don't know what I would have done! Bad enough to have had that in college. But maybe it's better since you can be at home with your mom!
I'm usually ok with Aleve, but not Advil (don't ask why, you'd think they'd both upset me!). Definitely eat something first though! Are you on prescription naproxen? I had that for a while for to break the cycle of migraines. Have you got anything to prevent migraines (usually a low dose of a tricyclic anti-depressant, like Pamelor)? What about triptans like Imitrex, Maxalt, Zomig for when you actually get a headache? Seems to me like the goal would be to get rid of the migraine, not only treat the symptom. It's good that you're seeing a neurologist, but maybe you'd like to talk to him/her about other treatment options. You shouldn't have to live with so much pain!

--------------------
--Julie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1615 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3160

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review