All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dicyclomine/Bentyl new
      #5435 - 04/08/03 08:49 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Does anyone take this for IBS? I have a prescription and take it as needed. Should I take it all the time? Any suggestions?

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dicyclomine/Bentyl
      #5441 - 04/08/03 09:53 AM
joylyn44

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi~

I used to take 10 mg. of Bentyl 4 times a day, everyday, for gastritis, but now that is better, so I just take it as needed for IBS. When I feel an attack coming on, I usually take 20 mgs. 3-4 times a day and that will relieve most of the symptoms unless they are real bad and then nothing seems to help. I'm from Ohio and a gastronologist in Columbus gave me Wellbutrin (an anti-depressant) also for IBS that I take everyday. I was given 150 mg, but take only 75mg and it has seemed to help the severity of the attacks. He said that he has found anti-depressants help some women with IBS more than the medications for IBS. I know that is just one doctors opinion, others may not agree, but it has helped me.

Re: Dicyclomine/Bentyl new
      #5444 - 04/08/03 10:20 AM
tnchawk

Thank you. My dr aslo prescribed Elavil for the same thing. Can I take them together do you think? I haben't started the Elavil yet; am a little leary of an anti-depressant. Any other thoughts?

--------------------

#5445 - 04/08/03 10:22 AM
Jenn

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: NJ

My doctor put me on 10 mg Bentyl which I would take only as needed. It worked wonders for me at the time. I then switched doctors, and the new doctor wrote me a prescrip. for 20 mg. I did not realize the dosage, but I started taking it with every meal. It continued to work great, but suddenly I started experiencing nausea after meals. I have been off the meds for 4 days now to see if the nausea gets better, and I am starting Heather's diet and I just might try to stay off the meds for good.

#5448 - 04/08/03 10:30 AM
tnchawk

Ok...that is what my scrip is for...20mg...I just take it as needed; I hate to become "dependent" on something. I am going to try the diet. Plus I see a nutritionist/pharmacist next week, so hopefully he can guidem through this. I am so glad that we have this board; I thought I was alone!

--------------------

#5454 - 04/08/03 11:26 AM
joylyn44

Reged: 03/06/03

I have never taken Elavil, but I would think you could take it and the Bentyl as needed. I sure hope the Elavil works for you like the Wellbutrin did for me. I really can't describe how I felt taking the 150 mg of W. but just didn't feel right, so I cut it into and the 75 mg worked for me! So you may not feel like yourself at first, which I don't like, but maybe you can take just half the dose prescribed. Good luck!!

#5481 - 04/08/03 02:55 PM
shelly6686

Reged: 04/03/03
Loc: south carolina

im new to the board but take bentyl 3-4 times a day and most of the time it works just depends on what i am eating

#5482 - 04/08/03 03:02 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03

I've been taking this "as needed", when I anticipated extra stress. Now, however, my doctor wants me to take it regularly, 4x per day. It does help, although I think Levsin helped a little more - I was just sensitive to the Levsin (lots of meds allergies). I would encourage you to try it!

#5500 - 04/08/03 07:39 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I was put on Bentyl by my doctor down here, and found it to be quite inferior to what I was taking before, Dicetel. Unfortunately you can't get Dicetel here, so I have to get a big haul of it every time that I go home.

Re: Dicyclomine/Bentyl-THANKS! new
      #5515 - 04/09/03 04:57 AM
tnchawk

Thank you everyone; I really appreciate the advice. I will try to take it more often. I've just noticed that sometimes it makes me a bit "loopy" But, I suppose no drug is perfect.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1649 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6353

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review