Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
stomach upset all the time...?...
      #5374 - 04/07/03 06:58 PM
GEA

Reged: 04/06/03
Loc: San Diego, CA

Hi Everyone!
Glad to find this forum since I am a little new to this. I have been following Heather's diet. I have cut way back on portions when I eat. I am not eating that much, but if I eat just a little itsy bitsy more, I pay. And sometimes I don't eat hardly anything, and I still pay. I continually feel this terrible uneasiness in my stomach and it doesn't leave until my stomach is empty. It's almost easier to stay hungry to avoid this upset stomach. I am newly diagnosed, and for the first time I am really trying to pay attention to these symptoms. I always just thought I had bad digestive problems, and tried to ignore it. I am mostly C but I have been swinging to D on and off lately. Am I just not stable yet, and that is why I feel this uneasy feeling all the time? Will this feeling go away, or am I finally just in touch with my illness enough to know what it is I'm experiencing all the time? Also I am up to 3 T. of Citracel and still have some C. I drink lots of peppermint tea now too. Any clues. recommendations, ideas or expertise, much appreciated...
Thanks, GEA

--------------------
~GEA~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: stomach upset all the time...?... new
      #5397 - 04/07/03 10:55 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi GEA and welcome to the board,

I can certainly relate to the stomach feeling upset all the time. I have come to the realisation that it will never feel completely "normal" again but near to normal is great compared to doubled over in agony!

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. I'm not sure how long you've been following heather's diet but stick to it. It takes a while to stabilise especially if you lean towards IBS-C.

Everyone is different but I find the following helps me the most:
1. heather's diet without exception
2. SF supplements - 2 T twice daily
3. exercise daily
4. plenty of water but not too close to meals.
5. relaxation, yoga, meditation, time to myself for stress relief.

I find stress is my biggest trigger and I have ordered the IBS Audio Program to try to help with that. Have a read on the hypnotherapy board if you are interested.

All the best,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#5400 - 04/07/03 11:54 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

hi GEA,

i've had a really hard time with nausea lately, too. someone on here mentioned to me it might be because of having an empty stomach. i'd suggest that you eat just a little bit all thru the day, and never let your stomach be completely empty... maybe that will help? i'm going to try it myself.

hope you start feeling better soon!

beth

#5420 - 04/08/03 07:31 AM
GEA

Hi KinOz,
Thank You for your warm welcome and help... I like all your tips and I am doing most of them, I am a little lax on doing the Yoga, and I do like to do it and I think it does help, it's just finding the time to do it....I am gardening now and that is relaxing... I have been on the diet probably three weeks or so. I was starting to think that maybe it's the peppermint tea that is keeping my stomach feeling so terrible all the time, but that is hard to really believe that's it. I did get the peppermint enteric pills and took one and I was terribly sick for some hours after so I haven't taken anymore of those!!! Anyone hear of this before?
I just upped my dose of Citracel to 4 T. and day and that worked pretty good this morning! Metamucil gives me gas.
All these years without knowing that what I had was a real condition with a name!!! I think I have had this for years now. It just is hard to get used to the idea. I got really so bad with D. and not being able to eat, losing weight, that I was basically forced to go to the Doctor to find out what was wrong with me. It took a couple of months of testing to find out that it was IBS. Now all my symptoms are starting to make sense to me.
So glad I have found this board with all of you out there! I have people that understand how I feel and what I am going through! Thank You!!!
Take Care,
GEA

--------------------
~GEA~

#5421 - 04/08/03 07:34 AM
GEA

Hi Beth!
Thanks for your reply and information. That is really hard for me to keep eating even a little, because I feel so upset, but I will try to do that and see if that helps.I will let you know if it helps..... Hope your stomach is doing better this morning!
Take Care,
GEA

--------------------
~GEA~

#5422 - 04/08/03 07:35 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I get nauseated frequently with my iBS and have found that ginger really works; both tea and crystallized forms. I know that stress plays a BIG role in mine; so I try to do the yoga and deep breathing. Also, a really good book to look into for all digestive problems is called " healthy Digestion the Natural Way" by D. Lindsey Berkson. It has tips for relaxation, reflexology ( foot massage) and deep breathing techniques that REALLY work. She also has different supplements mentioned per digstive ailment and different "smoothies" to try; those help alot. Look into it; it is worth buying! Good luck!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#5461 - 04/08/03 12:24 PM
GEA

Hi Tnchawk,
Thank You for your ideas and suggestions. I think I am going to give the peppermint tea a break today just to be sure that is not what is making me so upset. I have some ginger root brewing right now! I will drink that for the rest of today and see if it helps. I will have to look for that book... looks like a good one...
Thanks!
GEA

--------------------
~GEA~

#5475 - 04/08/03 01:09 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome, GEA! Know that you are not alone. Chances are, someone else has been there no matter what the problem. I agree - lay off the peppermint tea for a few days. It can be upsetting to some people. Try the ginger, also fennel and chamomile help others. There's lots of talk about fennel tea - just hit the search button. Fennel is great for bloating and gas.
I know EXACTLY how you feel when you say it's easier to stay hungry than it is to try to eat. I was exactly like that when I was first diagnosed. Unfortunately, I dropped 20 lbs that I couldn't afford to lose. Stick with Heather's diet and be sure to ask any questions at all that you may have. Also, the search button is great for topics already discussed. You can find helpful hints there. At the beginning of this board, there is FAQ and Dietary Guidelines that you can highlight. There is tons of helpful information - especially "How to break the cycle of attacks" Also, click on the First Year IBS icon at the top (blue and white) and it has tons of ideas on how to start to get stabilized. Take care, and take heart. You WILL get better. Take it a day at a time, a bite at a time if you must. It does not help to be upset when you are eating. Try to relax and chew thoroughly. If you are upset while eating - I find my digestion goes right out the window. My tummy can't digest when I'm all tense. Relax and take care.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#5513 - 04/09/03 03:51 AM
pasnacha

Reged: 04/09/03

Hi KinOz and everyone,

I can relate to being relieved to have a diagnosis. I am newly diagnosed. I am happy that I can finally get the right help. It took about 4 years for me. I kept thinking it was all in my head. I was in graphic design school and had to drop out recently because it was just too much stress on my tummy. My doctor says I may not be able to go back to it, but maybe with the right diet, excercise and all, I can. I am so glad there is people who can relate. I have heard about how yoga can help, I will give it a try.

#5531 - 04/09/03 07:03 AM
GEA

Hi HanSolo and all,
Thank You so much for the tips...I looked at the 'first year' and found it very interesting and informative. I am really beginning to think that Yoga is basically essential to getting my balance back. I have done yoga in the past, and then I always slack off and have a problem finding the time to fit it in, but I am going to start making an effort to do it no matter what. I did a little last night, and it just really gets me feeling so much more balanced and just the feeling of well-being that comes over me makes it worth while.

Also I stopped the Peppermint tea and drank Ginger tea yesterday. I believe that the peppermint tea was making my stomach REALLY upset!! WOW, I'm really VERY surprised! I thought it was helping, but for me, it was upsetting me.!!!So what works for most people may not work for you! And may even cause an upset!!!

I have learned so much from this board already, and I am so grateful! Thank You so much to all of you!

Take Care,
GEA

--------------------
~GEA~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3361 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2681

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review