All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
These sharp pains. HELP!
      #46163 - 02/23/04 08:35 AM
Jerryn

Reged: 02/22/04
Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

sorry to sound so desperate but these sharp pains in my sides high on my chest are hard to bare. I use microwaved magic bags that help calm them down. Been to ER and doctor about same pains, had bloodwork and several EKG's, heart is fine. Chest Xrays show nothing. They make me feel like it is all in my head. I have also tried several anti depresssants and the side effects are unbearable. VERY depressed over all this pain. Currently on Ativan .5 mg twice a day and Dicetel for IBS.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: These sharp pains. HELP! new
      #46168 - 02/23/04 09:11 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Have you tried Peppermint Tea, or even peppermint caps/altoids (strong mints you can get at a drug store)? Also, fennel tee (you can buy the seeds and brew them in hot water...though I am not fussy on fennel). I find peppermint great for reducing gas! It gives me heartburn, but since you had the operation, you should be fine with that. There are also certain yoga poses you can do that are great at helping eliminate gas, just do a search through the Yoga board...

Hope this helps!

#46172 - 02/23/04 09:15 AM
Jerryn

Thanks again but the peppermint tea is a no no for me. I had the operation but there are still a lot of foods etc. that stir up the old stomach acids. I'm headed for the yoga section now. Thanks again. I am willing to try anything at this point

#46175 - 02/23/04 09:23 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Sorry

Than, perhaps you should try the fennel! You can get past the taste, it really does help. I have heard (but haven't tried it) that the fennel tea Heather sells on this website is much better and you can order it. If not, you can simply buy fennel seeds at the store (I found mine in Indian/ethnic section) and brew them in a tea ball...they have a slight black licorice taste to them, and don't believe they cause heartburn.

Also, can/do you take beano? This is supposed to help when taken with meals...just try a "gas" search on this board, there are many talks on this subject.

#46192 - 02/23/04 12:18 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

Hi there and sorry that you are feeling so miserable. I am sure it's IBS related, but are you sure that it is not muscular? I had a back injury due to a car accident and sometimes my muscle over my rib burns really bad and it burns into my breastbone. It honestly feels the same as when I get heartburn and gas. THe only thing that helps this is heat packs and seeing the chiropractor. You should check with one to make sure nothing is off or pulled. Also, have you tried Protonix as is works well for heartburn and chest pain due to acid and gas? Hope ya get to feeling better soon.
Leah

#46225 - 02/23/04 04:24 PM
Jerryn

Quote:

I am sure it's IBS related, but are you sure that it is not muscular? I had a back injury due to a car accident and sometimes my muscle over my rib burns really bad and it burns into my breastbone. It honestly feels the same as when I get heartburn and gas. THe only thing that helps this is heat packs and seeing the chiropractor. You should check with one to make sure nothing is off or pulled. Also, have you tried Protonix as is works well for heartburn and chest pain due to acid and gas? Hope ya get to feeling better soon.
Leah

Hi Leah. Thanks for the info. I too had a car accident but it was in July/99. You've got a good point about the rib type injury. I'll check it out further. Heat pads do help alleviate the pain quite a bit, but when I put the heat pads to my chest/rib cage area, I also feel a lot of gas move around. sorry for gruesome details. And as far as Protonix goes, I've tried them all. Really gone the whole route as far as acid reflux meds goes including 2 surgeries.

#46405 - 02/24/04 12:17 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

Yes, I'd check into the rib injury issue. Have you figured out if there are any foods that make the gas pains worse?
Leah

#46564 - 02/25/04 11:22 AM
BetsyZG

Reged: 01/19/04
Loc: Virginia

I know exactly what you are talking about...When my attacks are at their worst I get those same pains...it even hurt to bend over. (which with toddlers I am ALWAYS doing) It is almost like pressure from within. Keep in mind your lower intestine snakes up right under your rib cage...at least I remember that from pictures I have seen. I am going to look into coated peppermint supplements. They have a coating....like some aspirins and other meds that allow it to go through your stomach with out causing the burn. I read about them in a pharmacy q&A in our local paper. They said you can find them at healthfood stores. Check with your doc though. I don't like flavored teas so I would rather go that route. I have also been on Zelnorm for about 6 wks now and I have not had one of my bad attacks since. I am still gassy but the pains are gone so far. I am more "regular" also. Good luck. I know it is miserable.

#46695 - 02/26/04 09:57 AM
Jerryn

Quote:

Yes, I'd check into the rib injury issue. Have you figured out if there are any foods that make the gas pains worse?
Leah

We checked the rib injury aspect and we are quite content it is not that. My doc strongly feels the pain I am feeling is from my small intestine. The pain I feel feels like my intestines are collapsing. Do you know what I mean? It is a sharp, burning tingly type pain and is really intense up under the rib cage.

#46699 - 02/26/04 10:02 AM
Jerryn

thanks for replying. The pains are intense in that area where the intestines are. feel like they are collapsing sometimes. Is that part of a spasm? Also, I can't take anything pepermint as I have GERD (acid reflux). Bummer Are you aware if men ever get prescribed Zelnorm? The ads seemed to be geared for women. I take Dicetel, 300 mgs/day and it doesn't seem to be helping to much.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 278 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2723

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review