All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about D
      #369726 - 07/07/13 04:08 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I posted this in the living room, but I hear this is a better place to post this question. I haven't had D episodes for quite awhile, but in this past heat wave I started getting them again. I switched to the bland diet, took 3 immodium the first day, started drinking peppermint tea, and I didn't have a movement for 2 days. When I did go it was watery again. So I did the same routine and I didn't go for 2 days and now it's back. The peppermint oil capsules are giving me heartburn, even tho I take them as directed (empty stomach, 1 hour before meals, small amount of water). Anybody else have episodes like this? I'd love to have a formed stool again!
I'm feeling low today, and I know my emotional state isn't helping matters. Sigh.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about D new
      #369727 - 07/07/13 04:56 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

You may want to consider as I mentioned in the LR post, that sometimes as humans, we all get gastric upsets - while this may be IBS, if the pattern seems different, and it continues, you may want to consult with your physician to make sure - you should also ask if the peppermint capsules would cause the heartburn - if they are enteric coated, they are meant to dissolve in the intestines, not the stomach- but for now, dont take them to see if problems subside.

You know we may have all manner of suggestions here for you, but at the end of the day, you cant rely on cyber space to 'treat' your condition - you may need to consult with your doctor for your particular situation if it continues on. Certianly, we can post here that we have or have not had what you have, or that it is only this or that - but for you, it may not be - so you need to make a determination if you should consult your doctor about this newest cycle.

Since you mention you previously have not had D episodes in a while, this may just be a brief bug, and not necessarily IBS - tho a bug can certainly trigger IBS again too. As long as you are doing everything - bland diet, etc. you should probably be better soon. If not, again, ask your doctor and carry on from there. Continue with the hypno, to help you deal with the brain-gut side of things. You may want to consider the acacia fiber to help with a formed stool.

Hope you feel better soon - since you did before, you most likely will again - be patient with yourself - no matter what answers and suggestions you get here, only you will know what is best for your particular situation.

Hope you feel better soon...

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#369728 - 07/08/13 04:23 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you have GERD peppermint capsules may not be the best thing to take as they exacerbate GERD. Peppermint caps may not stop D - they are mostly effective for managing pain and bowel spasms.

It would be helpful if you could post the meals and snacks you have eaten for the past 2-3 days. It may give us some clues for suggestions to give you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369731 - 07/08/13 10:29 AM
Digby

Here's what I've eaten:
-instant oatmeal blend by Eco-Planet that has whole oats, amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat, sorghum, brown rice, millet.
- 1/2 can gluten-free vegetable noodle soup and GF toast.
- Dry turkey sandwich on GF toast, applesauce.
- white rice, miso soup, kappa maki (cucumber roll w/o wasabi)
- a smoothie with almond milk, rice protein powder, banana, acacia,strawberries, topped with dry GF corn puffs cereal.
- a small amount of rotisserie chicken breast (skin removed), and white rice
- unsalted rice cakes
- dry GF cereal (Gorilla Munch Corn Puffs by EnviroKidz)
- peppermint tea
- mint flavored water

#369732 - 07/08/13 10:30 AM
Digby

I'm seeing my doctor today.

#369734 - 07/08/13 12:29 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Try removing the applesauce and decreasing the foods with high insoluble fiber (quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice, rice cakes made from brown rice and amaranth ) for a few days and see if the D decreases.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 748 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2808

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review