All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: fructose malabsorption question new
      #364899 - 05/26/11 04:18 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I was also wondering I have found info that brown sugar is not safe becasue it is coated with molasses. I do have trouble with a brand of bagel that contains brown sugar which I thought was fructose safe. I have found charts listing it as unsafe and this also makes sense to me based on my symptoms. What do you think about brown sugar?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#364900 - 05/26/11 04:22 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I forget but you told me they were all fructose safe. It is possible that it contained too much sugar. I really think plain sucrose in large quantities is a trigger for me too. I do remember having trouble with the gingert juice I bought from the ginger people though, which I beleive was pure ginger juice.

#364901 - 05/26/11 05:17 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Brown sugar contains 4-6% molasses. The darker the brown sugar the more molasses. Molasses has about 1 gram of excess fructose per 100 grams. A tablespoon of brown sugar contains less than 0.1 grams (< 1/16 teaspoon) of excess fructose. Most individuals with fructose malabsorption can handle that small amount of excess fructose. I don't have problems with brown sugar but I cannot eat pure molasses. Perhaps you are more sensitive to it than me.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365131 - 06/14/11 05:49 AM
Islandsguy123

Reged: 03/02/11
Loc: Savannah,GA

I've read the articles you have SYL. If I start an elimination diet on fructose, should I just pick one type of safe fruit or vegetable on the list at first? How long should I give it?
I've been off of dairy and wheat but mixed results w/o much relief of heavy gas so this is my next try.

I can't seem to get a breath test ordered from my doctors. Feeling desperate and could use advice.

Thx.

#365134 - 06/14/11 06:37 AM
Syl

You should have a good idea in a week or so. Yes, try fruit and veggies on the safe FODMAP list but be careful of the insoluble fiber content as recommended by Heather.

As you probably know sucrose which has equal amounts of glucose and fructose is not a problem. Some people claim that sucrose can be a problem but so far the clinical tests have not shown this to be the case at least when consumed in moderation.

I blend the EFI and FODMAP approaches successfully but you have to pay attention to detail such as insoluble fiber content. Unfortunately, the FODMAP approach leaves issues regarding known IBS triggers such as insoluble fiber, fat, caffeine, etc to the health professional advising the patient.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#365136 - 06/14/11 09:24 AM
boron

Reged: 05/11/11

@Islandsguy123

The quick way to make an elimination diet trial to find out if you have lactose intolerance or fructose malabsorption (FM) is to remove all suspected foods on the beginning, so a complete low-FODMAP diet:
- no lactose (no dairy, and no lactose as a food additive: read labels, or simply avoid all commercial food)
- no fructose (no fruits, fruit products, honey), anything containing "HFCS", "FOS", "oligofructose", "GOS" and "inulin" (read labels, plus avoid wheat, onions, artichokes, asparagus, chicory and leeks)
- I would also avoid sucrose and other sweeteners to be sure.

Avoid commercial foods and drinks (processed, packaged, canned, sweetened...) during the trial to make it simple. You can still eat plain meats and fish, eggs, most vegetables (including white potatoes and white rice), barley, oats, rye, buckwheat...

If you manage to get rid of most symptoms within a week, then you can be quite sure you can lactose intolerance or fructose malabsorption. Then you can start to introduce foods back, one by one. So, you can, for example, drink a glass of milk and give it two days to see if you can tolerate it. If you can, you do not likely have lactose intolerance. And than you add foods which are problematic in FM, but you start with less problematic ones: oranges, grapefruits, bananas, then berries.., then, if all ok, you can try wheat and so on.

If you feel nauseated or ill, please do not loose time with these diets and see a doctor.

--------------------
I don't have IBS.

#365143 - 06/15/11 07:40 AM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

@AllisonMary, what fruit and veggies cán you eat?
It looks like we have some alike triggers besides the 'normal' EFI&FM stuff. Like glucose, corn starch, berries (juice).
(Do sucrose & corn give you the same reaction as fructose does?)

My diet is still really restricted, and I keep having problems constantly with the food I'm trying.

I cán eat bananas, (cooked) courgettes, carrots and yellow/red peppers. Rice syrup. Wheat, potatoes & white rice. Chicken & fish. (that's about what I eat in my basic diet)

I'm (still) not sure about beets, broccoli, green beans, peaches, orange juice.
Probably not: asparagus, spinach.
Defenitely not: tomatoes , corn (starch).

***Can anyone explain to me what happens in your bowel when you have glucose sensitivity? I cannot google it, everything I find is about the blood-glucose level. That level is fine for me.

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

Glucose new
      #365144 - 06/15/11 08:47 AM
Syl

Many of the foods you listed contain glucose in one form or another. For example, carrots, courgettes, orange juice and bananas contain 1, 1, 2.3 and 5 grams of glucose per 100 grams as well as other sugars such as sucrose which is 50% glucose and 50% fructose.

Glucose is the most fundamental form of energy the body consumes. As Heather says "For glucose concerns, your body eventually breaks down all carbohydrates (simple and complex, and no matter what the source or how much/which type of fiber they contain) into glucose, as this is the only fuel the brain can use."

The only way glucose sensitivity can likely occur would be through its effect on blood sugar levels. This why a Google search does not reveal anything about glucose sensitivity but only blood glucose levels.

--------------------

Re: Glucose new
      #365146 - 06/15/11 11:18 AM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

Yes, I see that the fruit and veggies I mentioned contain glucose.
Although sucrose and corn starch contain a lot more glucose per 100g I guess (?)
But I cán tolorate potato starch and wheat, I guess that'll contain an almost equal amount of glucose?
I see the contradiction. But I don't understand it at all?!

The reactions I get from eating sucrose or corn starch are totally different as from eating high fructose food. Sucrose and corn give me likewise reactions as milk, meat etc (ibs-triggers).

Isn't it possible that my bowel can't process too much glucose at once? Which will trigger and IBS-attack..?

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

Re: Glucose new
      #365147 - 06/15/11 12:24 PM
Syl

Sucrose contains 50 grams of glucose and 50 grams of fructose per 100 grams but the two sugars are joined together by a chemical bond making it one molecule called sucrose. The bond has to be broken in digestion in order to separate glucose from fructose. Sucrose is absorbed in the small intestine. The glucose and fructose molecules are not released as individual molecules until they reach the blood stream. It rarely reaches the colon.

Potato & wheat starch are similar to corn starch. They contain similar amounts of glucose which is close to 99%. By definition starch is a carbohydrate consisting of a large number of glucose molecules joined together by chemical bonds.

Glucose is rapidly absorbed small intestine. In the amounts normally consumed it rarely, if ever, reaches the colon. An IV given in a hospital frequently contains glucose as well as electrolytes and water. It is an important fuel for the body. It is not known to directly have negative effects on IBS symptoms.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1288 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20956

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review