All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
corn intolerance
      #362597 - 12/20/10 07:39 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Is this common in people with IBS? Does anyone know if it similar to fructose malabsortion in that a cumulative amount of corn products can cause problems? thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: corn intolerance new
      #362598 - 12/20/10 09:11 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What kind of corn products are you having difficulty with? There isn't a corn intolerances similar to fructose malabsorption. However, some corn products can be high in IF.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362600 - 12/20/10 09:32 AM
Allisonmary

I dont know for sure if it is the corn or what. But it seems that some products that should be safe to eat for IBS make me sick. Im noticing too much cornmeal (which may be bc of IF right?) But also baking any goods seems to cause some trouble and Im wondering if maybe its the baking powder. I hear that corn intolerances are often misdiagnosed and pretty common.

#362603 - 12/20/10 11:46 AM
Syl

Cornmeal is a whole grain. Heather says "Oatmeal, brown rice, and corn meal (polenta) tend to be the best-tolerated whole grains for IBS". I cannot eat cornmeal -- too much IF for me.

Baking powder shouldn't give any problems - it is a mixture of baking soda and cream of tartar (a mild acid).

Except for the IF corn per se is not a known IBS trigger. Do you have difficulties with corn starch?

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

hmm new
      #362607 - 12/20/10 04:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have been predicting that corn allergies and intolerances (pets have these) would be starting soon. Soy allergies are much more prevalent now due to GMO soy, and corn is almost all GMO now plus it is in everything due to government subsidies of corn. That is why corn sweeteners have become so common and food with no nutritional value is so cheap. Anyway I haven't heard of corn allergies yet but am just waiting for it!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: hmm new
      #362613 - 12/20/10 06:46 PM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I totally agree with you on this....I heard high fructose corn syrup has been banned in Europe for years now...it's so sad what has become of our food...

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

corn= mycotoxins new
      #362616 - 12/20/10 06:55 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Plus the fact that corn is universally contaminated with mycotoxins. Now THAT can't be good for the body.

#362624 - 12/21/10 06:02 AM
Allisonmary

Yea, the only thing that has cornmeal that I sometimes eat are breads and it usually is one of the last ingredients. THomas' bagels have cornmeal in them, would you be able to eat those? And im not sure yet about the cornstarch,. I think it may cause me problems. The reason I am wondering about this is becase I had these candies made of cornsyrup (it didnt say HFCS but could it have been?), modified corn starch, and artificial colorings. Not the best choice I know but I've never been so sick in my life. I felt the effects the next day as I would with excess fructans.

Another question, why is it that many foods like bananas dont give me gas when I eat them, but when it comes time to have a bowel movement, it feels like I have so much air and gas. This must be a problem with the large intestine right? Is that common, and would taking beano help eliminate this? It seems that before starting this diet, I would feel most of my pain directly after eating but now my pain is delayed, usually in the mornings when I need to have a bowel mvmt. Anyone else have this?

#362625 - 12/21/10 06:30 AM
Syl

Corn syrup contains glucose. It is safe. I have not had problems with modified corn starch. It is composed mostly of glucoe. I have had troubles with artificial colors and flavors.

Gas is generated in the colon by colonic bacteria which ferment the soluble fiber and resistant starch in bananas and other foods. It is common. It usually occurs many hours after eating. Beano may help with some foods.

--------------------

#362626 - 12/21/10 06:42 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I had testing done that showed I had a corn intolerance. Since I starting avoiding all corn and corn by-products (which is NOT easy, let me tell you!) I have felt much better. This may or may not be your problem - if you can't get tested it certainly wouldn't hurt to try avoiding it and see what happens.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2378 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14500

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review