All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tired of Ab Pain, Any Suggestions? new
      #337513 - 10/28/08 05:50 PM
Jason63

Reged: 10/14/08

Does anyone have some thoughts on easing abdominal pain? I'm currently on a regime of Andrew Lessman brand fiber pills and aloe vera. I've been taking Heather's Tummy Tamers for almost a week three times a day and really haven't experienced any permanent results. Does it take a while to start working? The only "trigger" food I occasionally eat is dairy (I'm talkin a slice of cheese, a half glass of fat free milk). For the most part I've been pretty faithful to the IBS guidelines. Yet the cramps still persist. I am exercising regularly as well. I don't know if I should get tested for food allergies since I've never been able to successfully identify what gives me soo much grief.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tired of Ab Pain, Any Suggestions? new
      #337534 - 10/29/08 09:34 AM
shannon07

Reged: 10/21/08

Crap I just posted but didnt follow through right so here is take 2. I was saying when I started this diet I had to be REALLY strict with what I ate and took note of how I felt everyday. You have to cut out ALL trigger foods all together, including dairy, most likely. In addition, i dont know how you feel about prescription meds, but I have taken Bentyl or Dicyclomine before meals and at bedtime as needed for spasms and abd pain. It really helps me if I am having a particularly severe attack or just not stabalized well. There is also hyosycamine but it did not work as well for me. Just a few thoughts

Re: Tired of Ab Pain, Any Suggestions?
      #337535 - 10/29/08 10:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Heather warns about problems using soluble fibers containing psyllium husk found in Andrew Lesserman's fibermucil and aloe vera (see bottom of page). You may may want to remove these from you diet as well as diary for a few weeks and see how it goes. If you don't have Acacia fiber you might try Benefiber which in the US contains wheat dextrin.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#337544 - 10/29/08 04:46 PM
Jason63

Wow, here I thought I was taking the correct things for my IBS and they were possible irritating things more. I've gone ahead and ordered the acacia tummy fiber (wish that came in pill form). In the meantime I'm definitely laying off the Aloe Vera, after reading your link. I'm still going to take the Fibermucil on a precautionary level, because I think its helped me with the D side of things. Thank god for this message board. Thanks for your response as well! Much appreciated!

#337545 - 10/29/08 04:55 PM
Jason63

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a bit leary of taking prescriptions again . Since it was an antibiotic behind my initial IBS problems. Isn't D a side effect of taking the Bentyl? I tried that for a short time a couple months back. I suppose if worse comes to worse I'll look into taking it again. But I'd like to take care of this "naturally" if possible.

#337546 - 10/29/08 04:57 PM
lisamonoson

Reged: 07/08/06
Loc: FL

I use Peppermint Tea when I have any pain or think I am getting uncomfy or nauseated. Celestial seasons has a great one. Steep it long enough and drink it. It has been a wonder for me and helps nausea too. Oh I forgot to add that I started using align months ago and it has helped IMMENSLY.. You get it at your pharmacy but you do not need a Prescription.

--------------------
IBS C Mostly .. More stable than ever Since being on the IBS diet! I THANK GOD FOR THIS BOARD! I can alternate to IBS A at times of stress, hormones or anxiety. LACTOSE INTOLERANT

Edited by Avonlady00 (10/29/08 04:59 PM)

#337547 - 10/29/08 05:07 PM
lisamonoson

Reged: 07/08/06
Loc: FL

Forgot to also add that if you stay strict to the diet and get your tummy in the right mode then you can gradually add those fibers in as long as you have good soluble fiber first. Hopefully you have the Cheat sheet found here at the forum. It is like my IBS bible. I use the Peppermint tea if I ever feel off and the Align is a daily probiotic that has really made a difference along with the diet. I cannot eat dairy at all and I am afraid to try. Vanilla Almond milk is very tasty and I now prefer it and dont miss regular milk. I found a fix for my ice cream too in Tofuttis Almond bark. I would say I miss CHEESE terribly but hopefully I will find a solution that tastes good. I just have to choose eat cheese and suffer or don't eat the cheese and feel good. I choose NO PAIN

--------------------
IBS C Mostly .. More stable than ever Since being on the IBS diet! I THANK GOD FOR THIS BOARD! I can alternate to IBS A at times of stress, hormones or anxiety. LACTOSE INTOLERANT

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2373 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2392

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review