All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New GF dieters (Fen, GaGa.....etc) new
      #334112 - 08/06/08 10:16 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How's the diet working for you? Do you feel any better? Any worse?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New GF dieters (Fen, GaGa.....etc)
      #334116 - 08/06/08 11:59 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I actually do feel better - I was going to come on and post something.

I saw the Nutritionist on Monday, and after listening to my history and my symptoms, she recommended that I go gluten free. She also recommended that I follow a diet similar to EFI in the short-term, while the inflammation in my gut calms down. She said that as I continue to eat gluten free, I should be able to better tolerate raw veggies, unpeeled fruits, beans, etc. She also recommended taking a digestive enzyme to help improve digestion and taking fish oil to help speed up the healing in my gut. I continue to follow a dairy free diet, of course.

The last thing she recommended was to wean myself off of FiberCon - she said while it is effective (it really is!) it's not very gentle on our guts either, and is probably contributing to my bloating. She recommended weaning off of the FiberCon and weaning on to Metamucil. I actually stopped taking everything, because I want to see how my BM's change as I go gluten free. Hopefully they will improve!

I actually do feel better. Way less bloating!! I'm pretty fatiuged, though. I'm not sure if that's some kind of detox reaction, but I can barely keep my eyes open this week!

I'll take that over bloating any day, though!

Why do you ask? Are you considering eating gluten again?

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: New GF dieters (Fen, GaGa.....etc) new
      #334157 - 08/07/08 06:49 AM
Jordy

Quote:

She recommended weaning off of the FiberCon and weaning on to Metamucil.

Wait, she wants you on metamucil? This is better for the gut? WOW.

Glad you have less bloat! Is it effecting your C?

Yep, I'm thinking seriously about eating gluten again. Maybe not start out with wheat, but things like barley and spelt. I'm tired of being C and it's the only thing I can pinpoint that coincided with when I got C...when I first started the GF diet. I'm scared, though. I do think I have less pain and bloat with it...but I don't know!

--------------------

Metamucil (psyllium husk) new
      #334166 - 08/07/08 08:03 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might check Heather's comments on psyllium husk: "If you're at all prone to bloating or gas (and many folks with IBS are), please avoid both psyllium and inulin (the main ingredients in Metamucil, Konsyl, Fybogel, Fibersure, and FiberChoice), which can seriously worsen these problems in some people with IBS." I found psyllium husk based SFS cause me problems.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Metamucil (psyllium husk) new
      #334169 - 08/07/08 08:53 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

If you read my post, I haven't actually taken any of the Metamucil. But I guess the bottom line is that my Nutritionist agrees with me that I don't have an "irritable bowel." I have food intolerances that are making my gut act up.

I've stated this before - I think Heather's advice is phenomenal, particularly for IBS-D'ers. But there is no such thing as a hard and fast rule when it comes to IBS. If you take 10 cranky people, chances are good that they're cranky for 10 different reasons. Our bowels are not all irritable for the same reasons.

--------------------
IBS-C

#334171 - 08/07/08 09:20 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Are you saying your nutritionist thinks you don't have IBS but your GI doctor does? Or have you not seen an GI doc?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#334183 - 08/07/08 11:33 AM
Jordy

I'm so proud of you for trying to find something that works for YOU and your body!

Quote:

I've stated this before - I think Heather's advice is phenomenal, particularly for IBS-D'ers. But there is no such thing as a hard and fast rule when it comes to IBS. If you take 10 cranky people, chances are good that they're cranky for 10 different reasons. Our bowels are not all irritable for the same reasons.

Good lesson for us all. I agree...but it's scary because there is no "recipe" for us to follow!

--------------------

my two cents...... new
      #334208 - 08/07/08 07:14 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

I also found that Metamucil and psyllium aggravated my bloating - I did however have awesome bowel movements on the psyllium! But I was at least one dress size larger w/the bloating - I get you though that it was just a recommendation and not something you're actually doing... I think it's impossible for any one plan to work for all people - regardless of the condition...

So good to hear that you're getting relief from the bloating - sounds like your body is giving you the information you need!

#334219 - 08/08/08 09:11 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hey all,

I'm still strictly gluten free which is def helping with BMs but i'm still getting really, really bad bloating- never had it this bad. Will continue gluten free but try to be more stict with the EFI principles.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#334221 - 08/08/08 10:02 AM
IBSrunner

Reged: 07/25/08
Loc: California

whats the EFI diet? I have seen it on the boards before and I'm sure its obvious lol

--------------------
IBS-C Gas and constant Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1456 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3826

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review