All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: IBS-C Gas Bloating Probiotics Success Story new
      #321422 - 01/01/08 08:32 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I was always wondering if the VSL would provide any relief for those of us with C. I have always seen it advertised for D relief.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SIBO and IBS new
      #321425 - 01/01/08 09:43 AM
gigi1234

Reged: 06/10/06

When I used to take acacia it gave me gas. Not as bad as psyllium ( ) but still pretty bad.

Re: IBS-C Gas Bloating Probiotics Success Story new
      #321426 - 01/01/08 09:48 AM
gigi1234

No. I can't do the acacia. It causes gas for me and never seemed to help anyway. I think people who have IBS-D respond better to it. I am firmly in the C camp and in some ways acacia only made things worse for me. Right now I am taking only VSL#3 and a small amount of magnesium supplement and have been doing better than I have in a long time. I am careful with my diet but I am not into Heather's diet. I am intolerant of starches and grains.

Re: Probiotics
      #321427 - 01/01/08 09:52 AM
gigi1234

I looked at Align too but it has so many chemical additives, including sodium caseinate. I have severe allergies to casein so I don't want that! The VSL#3 doesn't have all these additives.

#321435 - 01/01/08 11:22 AM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Quote:

CJ,
Hi. I've been reading this thread & oh I'm so frustrated and down...
My Doc never got back to me after my insurance decided they won't cover the camera pill test...
Am I understanding correctly that VSL#3 is a product I should consider if I'm suffering from gas like never before? My D and cramps are gone but I'm left with bad G and I'm losing all hope and don't know where to turn. I've been taking Heather's Soluble Fiber powder 2 Tblsp. daily and I'm off all wheat, dairy and sugar. Is the VSL#3 better than Heather's SF?
Any knowledge on this subject?
Thanks much.

I agree with some of the others that the acacia fiber might be contributing to the gas - I've been following Heather's diet exclusively for over 4 weeks and taking the acacia for a little over 2 weeks. Since starting the acacia, the gas is out of this world, I think it's also affecting my GERD as I'm burping alot and getting more heartburn - like you, my D is sooo much better!! I was taking 1/2 tsp acacia twice a day then increased to 1 tsp twice a day, but now I'm going back down to 1/2 tsp twice a day and see how it goes, if the gas continues then I'll discontinue the use altogether.

I also started taking a probiotic just yesterday it's called Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic. It has 70 billion viable cells and you take it 3 times per day for the first month (that totals up to $90.00 for the first month). I've only taken 2 pills so far and my gas is much better today but it's just too soon to tell.

I've also been listening to the hynotherapy CDS (just got them yesterday), but so far I absolutely love them - whether they work or not, they sure are relaxing!!!

I know I'm probably making too many changes at one time - so if I do get relief, I'm not going to know what to attribute it to, but I have been in excruiating pain for 10 months solid and I just need some relief NOW!!

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Question for Gigi new
      #321449 - 01/01/08 04:00 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Gigi, have you noticed a really warm feeling in your gut since you've been taking the probiotic? I just started mine yesterday and today I'm getting this warm feeling - Not an uncomfortable heat at all, it's actually kind of a calm warmth.

Thanks and hope you're still doing great with it!

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

To: CJ Re: SIBO and IBS new
      #321465 - 01/01/08 07:55 PM

Unregistered

CJ, thanks so much for responding.
I purchased the VSL#3 but cancelled my purchase as I kept reading more on the subject and there seems to be such controversy among users. I feel like I need someone to monitor with me what's happening to me as I think I'm losing my mind trying to figure this thing out alone. I hope to find a nutritionist who has knowledge in this area. And I'm hoping together we can lick this sucker!
I too started the hypnosis cds but never got past 2 weeks as things got hectic in my life. I would start again, but I don't have much faith in it. It's nice and relaxing, but I don't see it changing my digestive system all that much.
That's the thing with this "nobody knows what the h-- to do for us" situation. I find that I'm trying so many things at once and then when all hell breaks loose I have no clue where it came from. But I do wish you well and lots of luck with the new products. I'd love to hear updates from you re: Udo and if I come upon something/someone that helps me I'll keep you posted too.
SarahT

#321466 - 01/01/08 08:03 PM

Unregistered

You wrote: Have you considered that the Acacia could be causing the gas? Is the gas worse than before you started the Acacia?

Jordy,
If you were asking me this question...I'm starting to consider this a strong possibility and yes I've never had gas the way I have now but I fear to stop taking it because my D has disappeared since I started on Acacia, however I still go too often but at least it's not as urgent and the consistency is much better.
I'm hoping to start on a probiotic which a friend of mine is recommending. I don't know the name yet but I do know that it needs refrigeration and that its supposed to be extremely gentle on the tummy. When I have more info I will post it and I'll keep you guys posted on my success. Because from here on it has to be ONLY success, right guys?!!!!
Happy and IBS FREE NEW YEAR to everyone!!

Re: To: CJ Re: SIBO and IBS new
      #321479 - 01/02/08 08:09 AM
Jordy

Quote:

I feel like I need someone to monitor with me what's happening to me as I think I'm losing my mind trying to figure this thing out alone

You have the same thoughts as I.
Quote:

"nobody knows what the h-- to do for us" situation. I find that I'm trying so many things at once and then when all hell breaks loose I have no clue where it came from

I empathize with this also. I have no idea what helps (if anything) and what hurts. I feel dizzy...playing this guessing game. I don't know what to take and what to stop and what to eat and what to avoid. Nobody can give me answers. Oh, how I wish I could figure just a piece of this out. I can't even figure out if SFS helps or hurts me...after years of dealing with this, I still have no clue about any of it.

--------------------

#321480 - 01/02/08 08:16 AM
Jordy

Yes, I was asking you, Sarah. I am in the same situation, I think. Why can't something work without causing another symtpom to worsen???

Keep me posted on the probiotic you are going to try. I'll try anything new. Do you remember the name of it? Is it from Udo? I just bought one of their versions....I think it was this one. Udo's Choice. I wonder if a different one of his would have been a better choice. I haven't tried this one yet. I'm afraid to do anything right now.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 226 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63544

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review