All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Quinoa
      #306064 - 04/28/07 07:31 AM
JBMills

Reged: 04/22/07
Loc: Fresno, CA

Well Ive recently read an article stating how good quinoa is for you and Im very interested. However I have IBS-D and it appears that Quinoa is popular with people with IBS-C. Id like to try this but I dont need to eat anything thats gonna cause me to go anymore. Anyone have any helpful info?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Quinoa new
      #306113 - 04/28/07 10:41 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Quinoa is actually considered soluble fibre.

#306516 - 05/04/07 06:22 AM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

How does one prepare quinoa anyway?
Are there good recipes out there?
It intrigues me but I have no idea what to do with it!

Quinoa high SF new
      #306528 - 05/04/07 09:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I am looking for another good source of SF. Quinoa is included on the list of foods high in SF.

I have been trying to find research information that shows that Quinoa is high in SF. I have found three references in the literature (see below) that show that SF is 13%, 8% and 20% of the total dietary fibre content in processed Quinoa indicating that it contains much more IF that SF.

Also, I talked to people at the Northern Quinoa Corporation who process and sell Quinoa. They told me their product contains about 13.5% dietary fibre of which 2.4% is SF and about 11% is IF.

Can someone point me to some information that shows Quinoa is high SF?

Thanks

References
Ruales, J. and B. M. Nair, 1994: Properties of starch and dietary fibre in raw and processed quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa, Willd) seeds. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition (Formerly Qualitas Plantarum), 45, 223-246.

Ranhotra GS, et al., 1993: Composition and Protein Nutritional Quality of Quinoa, Cereal Chemistry 70 (3): 303-305 MAY-JUN 1993

Ahamed N.T., 1998: A lesser-known grain, Chenopodium quinoa: Review of the chemical composition of its edible parts, Food and Nutrition Bulletin - Volume 19, Number 1

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Wow new
      #306548 - 05/04/07 12:37 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I've been using quinoa as an SF buffer with my peas. It sounds like it's mostly IF, though.

I'd like to see some info that says it's SF also. I'd feel a bit safer eating it.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#306551 - 05/04/07 12:57 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

If you buy the grains, you make it just like rice. Add water 2:1 ratio and boil, covered, for about 15 minutes.

If you buy the flakes, you heat up hot water, put the quinoa in it and only cook it for about 90 seconds. Directions are on packages.

They also have quinoa flour, pasta, breads. You use and spice up quinoa just as you would rice. It's a nice change from rice.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Quinoa high SF new
      #306562 - 05/04/07 02:48 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

All I know is, I've been using it as a SF base for quite some time now, with no issues whatsoever. And I wouldn't call myself stable yet, either.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

the only thing I wonder new
      #306565 - 05/04/07 05:44 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

about the SF/IF statistics on foods is whether they are taken cooked or raw. It might account for the disparity so common in the various lists.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Uncooked vs cooked new
      #306583 - 05/05/07 05:38 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Cooking does not seem to account for the difference. Here is the fibre content reported for raw, raw washed and cooked Quinoa in the reference given below.

Raw Quinoa has about 13% dietary fibre of which 11% is IF and 2% SF.

Raw washed Quinoa has about 13% dietary fibre of which 10.5% is IF and 2.5% is SF

Cooked Quinoa has about 12.0% dietary fibre of which 11% is IF and 1.0% is SF

Cooking actually significantly reduces the amount of SF.

Reference
Ruales, J. and B. M. Nair, 1994: Properties of starch and dietary fibre in raw and processed quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa, Willd) seeds. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition (Formerly Qualitas Plantarum), 45, 223-246.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2891 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1559

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review