All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
weird gas smell new
      #301222 - 03/02/07 06:12 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

For a long time now I have had sort of a diesel fuel odor. I can't find anything in a search on it (I was hoping it would be easily explained) so I wondered if anyone else has experienced this or knows anything about it. It is certainly irregular.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: weird gas smell new
      #301249 - 03/02/07 10:19 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I get that sometimes, too. I haven't been able to figure it out, though. Could be food, could be hromones, could be a combination. Admittedly, I'm not really putting a lot of effort into it at the moment.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#301252 - 03/02/07 01:04 PM
fee

Reged: 01/09/07

Interesting and funny article about smell of farts at http://www.abc.net.au/spark/smelly/begone/begone04.htm
"The compounds in a typical flatus are hydrogen sulphide (1.06 micro mol/L) methanethiol (0.21 micro mol/L) and dimethyl sulphide (0.08 micro mol/L). The judges thought that hydrogen sulphide smelt like "rotten eggs" and methanethiol like "decomposing vegetables", while dimethyl sulphide actually smelt "sweet"."
I don't think this answers your question, but it's good to laugh.
Rubber smell...I've had this...thinking retrospectively that it could have been breaking down of bad bacteria in the bowel, perhaps a tummy bug.
I now take turmeric as a supplement and this smells a bit iffy too. :-]

#301264 - 03/02/07 02:35 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

You know, sometimes I notice a smell after I wipe (not immediately after a bm). It's foul and makes me embarrassed, feeling like I want to shower right away. It seems I get it after a few bms that day but I've never pinpointed what foods I've eaten that might have caused it. This has only been in the past month or so...which is weird b/c I'm more stable now then I've ever been (versus when I used to have d you would have thought of more odor). Anyway, sorry that doesn't help you but at least you will not feel alone.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#301315 - 03/03/07 06:28 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

That is similar. I'm not really talking about farts- they don't smell like it; more like just going to the bathroom. I wish there was some info on this.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#301354 - 03/04/07 04:26 AM
fee

Hi LM,
I remember foul petrol like smell from mucous after BM. I wondered if there had been a tear/injury/infection down there that caused the mucous with offensive odour.
If I find any info I'll post up.

Re: weird gas smell - info
      #301357 - 03/04/07 05:01 AM
fee

Hi LM,
There is plenty of talk about this subject at www.poopreport.com
but you'd need a very strong stomach to read it!
In summary, anal mucous is attributed to
1) effect of starting probiotics (body ridding itself of bad bacteria)
2) breaking down of Mucoidal Plaque
At www.ibdcrohns.about.com
mucus in the stool is identified as a common symptom of
1) irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
2) ulcerative colitis (UC)
3) Crohn's disease (CD).
4) bacterial infection
5) anal fissure
6) bowel obstruction
This site states "mucus in the stool in the setting of IBS or UC is not necessarily a cause for alarm, but should be mentioned to a physician."
Elsewhere, it is suggested that you take sample of mucous to doctor for testing.
Hope this helps
F

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1260 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2139

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review