All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Potato Toppings and Beans
      #278465 - 08/15/06 05:33 PM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

What do you guys use for baked potato toppings? Do I have to eat them plain? Is there anything I can use to flavor them a little other than Butter Buds and Mrs. Dash, which is what I use now?

Also, I would like to get some feedback as far as reactions to beans. As I mentioned before, I'm in the first couple days of this eating plan, and since I'm feeling better, I know I need to incorporate foods like that soon. But naturally, I'm a little nervous. So how did you all react to beans? I tend to get a LOT of gas-at least, before changing my diet I did. So do you suggest I try the Beano before the beans as a precaution? Thanks.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bump-n/t new
      #278487 - 08/15/06 07:45 PM
Ericasmom

--------------------

Re: Potato Toppings and Beans new
      #278514 - 08/16/06 07:58 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Definetly take Beano with the beans, and any other soy or vegetable products that might cause you gas. Beano isn't just for beans!

As for potato toppings, I use tofutti sour supreme as a replacement for sour cream. Also I sometimes have a homemade tomato salsa with it, kinda like Chow Chow you can buy in stores. When I'm desperate I'll jut have ketchup.

Hope that helps,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#278625 - 08/16/06 05:23 PM
Ericasmom

OK-I will get my beano today and try a small amt of beans tomorrow. It is just hard to know when you are ordering out if they have lard or something icky in them. Fortunately, there's a place where I work that uses strictly canola oil in cooking. And I will stick to the black beans as opposed to refries.

As far as the "tofutti sour supreme"-what does it taste like? I used some fat free italian dressing on my potato last night-just discovered it. YUMMEE! Thanks for the help! A

--------------------

#278735 - 08/17/06 08:44 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

At home, I use a little Smart Balance Light on my baked potato along with salt and pepper. If I'm out, I'll use a little - just a little - olive oil, again with salt and pepper. You can also top your baked potato with one of the safe chili recipes from the recipe index. And there's LittleMinnie's Chicken Paprikash - this is delicious on baked potatoes as well as on mashed potatoes or noodles.

When I cook with it, the Tofutti "Better Than Sour Cream" tastes just like dairy sour cream to me. I haven't tried it plain as a topping.

I now eat beans with no problems - and no Beano - but for the first several months on the EFI Diet, I just avoided them. You can try pureeing or mashing some or all of them to help break them down.

As for the Beano, I recommend the tablets rather than the liquid - I swear I can taste the liquid in things.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#278878 - 08/17/06 09:57 PM
Ericasmom

Thanks so much for that helpful feedback! Unfortunately, I'm back in "attack mode" after two great days on the diet. I feel that most of this is stress related due to a fight with hubby last night, lack of sleep, and some ill-advised coffee this AM on top of it. Therefore, I will be on the "soothing" or safe foods mode again for a couple more days, until I get stabilized (sigh!). Doesn't it just make you wish sometimes you could put all of your problems in a big balloon or something and ship them off to the moon?

--------------------

#278992 - 08/18/06 09:39 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

When I first started this diet, it seemed like everything I ate gave me gas, which of course included beans. However, once I stabilized I noticed that I got no gas with beans and they actually sort of soothed my system. I eat them quite frequently now and incorporate them into a lot of foods. If you're going to eat them, just make sure they're not loaded down with fat and lard (etc refried beans). I do best with black beans.

Try Heather's black and white bean dips in the EFI cookbook. They're amazing and I never have a problem with them!

If you do have gas with beans, then do try the beano. It does wonders. I'm with the others here. Take the pill form!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 571 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 809

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review