All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Miscellaneous new
      #278272 - 08/14/06 11:26 AM
funmom

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: California

.I'm the type that USUALLY is fine - sometimes need to watch what I eat and when I'm stressed I REALLY have to watch what I eat. I have had 5 experiences (over the last 10 yrs) where I've started to black out from the severe pain. I've noticed that the pain seems to come AFTER a few days of no bowel movement (usually due to stress) and then when I FINALLY do something about it to make myself go.............it does come out but with blinding pain........is that what you've found? Now if I do pass out, do you just come out of it on your own? That scares me.............anyways, down to my REAL question.
I am used to looking at the fiber content on the back of packages.............and the "safe foods" you mentioned - graham crackers, pretzels, etc. have only 1 gram of fiber per serving.........is that because it is insoluble fiber that they are measuring?? And I always thought that bread/starchy stuff was binding...........please help me to understand. I have 4 kids and we are an active family and I cannot afford to be in a bathroom in a public place passing out while leaving my 3 yr old unattended!!
Also, I usually eat cantaloupe and peanuts to keep me regular............but you don't list those as safe foods.
Also, my dr. prescribed my Wellbutrin XL.................I"ve been on it for 3 wks now.........what are your thoughts on that?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Please read the IBS diet guidelines thoroughly new
      #278294 - 08/14/06 01:18 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It sounds like you're confused about the types of fiber and how to eat them. Re-read the IBS diet section of this website thoroughly... everything is explained in there in detail.

Basically, disregard the fiber counts on labels. Sometimes it's soluble, sometimes insoluble, sometimes the 2 combined, and I've never been able to make any sense out of it. It's basically irrelevant. Eat soluble fiber foods (white bread, rice, potatoes, etc) as the base of your diet. They are NOT binding, as long as you balance them out with insoluble fiber foods (like your cantaloupe and peanuts). You need both types of fiber in your diet for good health - bowel and otherwise.

What is meant by "safe" foods is that you can eat them with wild abandon and little worry about whether or not they'll cause an attack. Insoluble foods are actually "safe" as well, but you have to be a little more cautious about how you eat them.

Re: Please read the IBS diet guidelines thoroughly
      #278298 - 08/14/06 02:11 PM
funmom

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: California

Thanks..........I did read through the site carefully....it's just soooo much information that it's often overwhelming!! I've been soooo addicted to reading the labels in regards to fiber..........thanks for the info. And thanks for the info. about the "binding" question........I have only been eating the soluble fiber for the last few days - of course along with the fiber supplement (Citrucel until I get my Acacia - which it should be arriving today) ........and so I think that's part of why I don't feel so good.....I'm not balancing it...I will start back doing that today. THANKS!! I am trying REALLY hard to get back to "normal" so I can continue to enjoy my family, life and vacation next week!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 514 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 566

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review