All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Levsin or Immodium? new
      #274534 - 07/18/06 11:27 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

What's better to take on a daily basis to prevent D...Immodium or an antispasmodic prescription medication? And does anyone know how long it's safe to take on a daily basis?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Levsin or Immodium? new
      #274545 - 07/18/06 11:57 AM
SLHoutz56841

Reged: 12/05/04
Loc: We are right in the middle of the state of Pennsylvania, USA :)

I have used both ... Immodium would cause the opposite problem for me and I was miserable that way ... so I was on Levsin and it helped for a while ... but I am refractory so nothing helps me for very long what I do have on hand now is called Lomotil ... I take it if I have been to the potty more than 3 times and can "sense" I'm going to have a problem ... it takes about an hour or so but everything settles down and I can leave the house etc., and it doesn't plug me up either ... just gets rid of the urgency and other assorted nasties ... also it's really cheap!

Sandy

PS it is a prescription though ...

--------------------
IBS-D, GERD, Hiatal Hernia --- very unstable

Re: Levsin or Immodium?
      #274577 - 07/18/06 03:36 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I also take Lomotil and it works for me. As Sandy said (I'm Sandy also!)I only take it if I sense it it's going to be one of those days! Otherwise I just take my fiber, an occasional 1/2 dose of Imodium and sometimes anti anti-spasmmotic but for me, they don't work that well.

Sandy

#274578 - 07/18/06 03:36 PM
Jennifer Renee

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Florida, USA

Since Immodium is over the counter, it's not as severe and generally gentler on your system. However, whenever I've taken it, it helps for a day or two, than on the third day it all starts over. If you take it too often, you could also develop an immunity (like any medicine)

Levsin for me helped, but I had a horrible reaction to it hours later so I won't touch it. But I always have a freakish reaction so don't let me influence you with that!

Those are just my opinions, by no means am I an expert! I take Bentyl now when I absolutely have to.

--------------------
~*If you can dream it, you can do it*~ Walt Disney

#274580 - 07/18/06 03:39 PM
caroll56

Reged: 04/01/06

I've never tried immodium, however, a friend of mine has and with good results. Levbid is my antispasmodic & my GI doc gives me the script. I think levsin is in the same family. I've stayed on it for a week to ensure all quiets down. Lots of trial and error. I'm about to try the Acadia that Heather recommends. I'm hoping the soluable/insoluable diet (not real clear yet) has something to it. Good luck to ya

#274589 - 07/18/06 04:29 PM
caroll56

Wow!!! We all feel about the same. Do you all drink coffee, i.e, dunkin donuts, w/cream and sugar??

#274604 - 07/18/06 05:26 PM
SLHoutz56841

Reged: 12/05/04
Loc: We are right in the middle of the state of Pennsylvania, USA :)

I have tried the new coffee from Folgers called smooth and gentle or something like that and it didn't bother me at all which was wonderful as i love coffee but it doesn't love me!

Sandy .. the other Sandy

--------------------
IBS-D, GERD, Hiatal Hernia --- very unstable

#275967 - 07/27/06 07:10 PM
caroll56

I'm going on Tues to see the GI doc. I have the Levbid & found it very helpful The longest I've ever taken it was one week. It quieted down the worse symptoms. I am going to ask him if I can take on an as needed basis. I tend to be more constipation than D with nasty discomfort. I've had the D problem from time to time as well.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1911 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1987

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review