All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
What Do You Dip Your Lobster In? new
      #266255 - 05/29/06 07:07 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I was in NH today, and went out to have a lobster.
It tasted good, but it really was lacking taste without butter.

I know when I eat at home I can use the imitation no dairy butter, however when I am eating out this is not a usual option.

I wanted to know what you use to dip your lobster in other than butter and what I can do so the next time I have lobster at a restaraunt I don't go without something to dip it in while not getting a bad feeling inside.

I would think bringing my own butter is one thing however I'd rather not if possible or find another thing to do rather than have to explain it to the restaraunt, people, and just avoid the awardwardness.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What Do You Dip Your Lobster In? new
      #266257 - 05/29/06 07:43 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I'd just take a dipping sauce with me. Earth Balance Buttery Spread is vegan and tastes just like butter. And don't feel awkward explaining anything to people at restaurants. Your health is more important than their opinion.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#266283 - 05/30/06 04:33 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I must be a weirdo... I love the taste of lobster without anything to dip it in. If it's cooked properly, the flavor is delicate and sweet... mmMMmmmm.... hehe.

Anyway. I second the idea to take your own dipper, and hell with what anyone else thinks. Your health is more important than the opinion of a stranger. But if it's just not possible... hmm, maybe ask for lemon wedges and a glass of water, and try diluted lemon juice? I've never tried that, but I like lemon on just about any other seafood, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for lobster.

No sauce for me...
      #266317 - 05/30/06 07:37 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

I spent my early years in Japan where they eat very little butter...crab and lobster are steamed and eaten "au natural". I don't eat it any other way.

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: No sauce for me... new
      #266391 - 05/30/06 11:42 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I love lobster with butter of course.. but a great alternative is sprinkling the juice from a lemon slice on it. tastes great.

--------------------

#266429 - 05/30/06 01:26 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Have you tried olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice? I'm sure pretty much any restaurant would bring some out for you. It can be just as satisfying when you're craving that rich fatty element in your meal...and it's better for both the gut and the arteries!

--------------------
Julia

cocktail sauce --nt-- new
      #266449 - 05/30/06 03:25 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Lots o' Lemons new
      #266508 - 05/30/06 06:22 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I request no butter, but extra slices of lemon. I do the same with crab and shrimp.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#266522 - 05/30/06 07:00 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

When I make lobsters and crabs at home, I season the water with salt and different spices.

#266524 - 05/30/06 07:08 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

I am of the mind if your going to eat lobster, it probably won't hurt with a very little amount of butter. I doubt an oz of it once in a great while would be all that harmful to most people with IBS.

of course I am a chef, so I am also somewhat bias.:)

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#266549 - 05/30/06 09:24 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Have you tried olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice? I'm sure pretty much any restaurant would bring some out for you. It can be just as satisfying when you're craving that rich fatty element in your meal...and it's better for both the gut and the arteries!

Wouldn't the fat in the olive oil, and the acidity in the vinegar cause a reaction problem additionally?

As for cocktail sauce, again, isn't that with the tomatoes, horesradish, a suspect food?

Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#266569 - 05/31/06 05:13 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Cocktail sauce: Some people can tolerate cooked tomatoes. Some cannot at all. Others can tolerate it in small doses. I don't think a small amount is going to hurt you unless you are very sensitive to tomato sauces.

Olive oil & vinegar: Again, a small amount probably isn't going to hurt you.

#266752 - 05/31/06 03:20 PM
Naturapanic

I'm surprised a small amount of olive oil is not harmful because a tablespoon has 14 grams of fat, 100%, which is similar to mayonnaise content.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#266769 - 05/31/06 03:55 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Some of it is the type of fat, some of it is individual tolerance. Personally, a tablespoon of olive oil would just about kill me, but I know there are people who can handle it just fine.

Olive oil would be marginally safer than butter simply because it's non-dairy. I would probably still avoid dipping lobster in it, but that's just me.

Olive oil....Pampered Chef new
      #266891 - 06/01/06 06:29 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

I use a Pampered Chef spray bottle and keep my olive oil in it. It provides a very light spray (much like Pam)and I use it for salad...cooking...whatever.

I am a stable "C". I don't know how olive oil affects others but felt that I should throw that in.

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: Olive oil....Pampered Chef new
      #267330 - 06/02/06 06:25 PM
Naturapanic

So if I go to the restaraunt with my own butter, what do I say so it's not awkward?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#267756 - 06/05/06 04:05 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

So if I go to the restaraunt with my own butter, what do I say so it's not awkward?

Don't say anything.... just use it... I take shakers of soy or rice parm cheese with me to Italian resturants....!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#269257 - 06/13/06 07:48 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Quote:

Don't say anything.... just use it... I take shakers of soy or rice parm cheese with me to Italian resturants....!

You have to say something, because you need the restaraunt to melt the butter once you arrive.

I plan on bringing my butter, but I would like to know, what do I say to the waitress, "I can't have regular butter, could you please microwave this?"
What do I say to my guests who I will be with, I want to enjoy my lobster because I am spending a lot of dough, at the same time, I want to have proper manners and not make a scene or draw attention.
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#269259 - 06/13/06 08:09 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

how about just eating it with a little salt and pepper?

Can you eat something other than the lobster at the restaurant?

#269280 - 06/13/06 09:14 PM
Naturapanic

If possible I want to use butter, I tried salt and pepper the last time, and it simply was not the same.
Also lobster is one if not the most favorite dish of mine, since I can't eat a lot of things, it is one thing I really want to enjoy.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Tell the waitress/waiter of your needs new
      #269303 - 06/14/06 02:26 AM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

Usually when we go to a resturant anymore I have scoped out the menu in advance and while everyone is deciding I make my special request first for the way that I need my meal prepared. Telling them that you have food allergies instead of going into the big long explanation works great. I have had the best service lately this way and fabulous food.

I also leave a nice tip and make sure to thank the for their attention to my special needs. I have been to one resturant quite a few times now and had the same waiter (seems to help to stick with the same people since they remember me). He remembers my dietary needs and takes excellent care of me. I get the "kids" applesauce and house bread (so delicious-I usually get two loaves to take home) instead of the salad and haven't had to ask for it just get the "same as last time?" The nice thing is that this waiter has even suggested specials that he is aware that will meet my needs-had excellent seafood dish that was broiled and topped with a fruit salsa and served with couscous. I wouldn't have tried it but he knew it would work for me.

Course my future in-laws always took in their ranch dressing with them to fancy italian restuarants since they didn't want a vinagrette on their salad. Drove me crazy initially but now it makes sense...customer is happy and comes back.

Good luck!

-Michelle

can you make it at home? new
      #269316 - 06/14/06 06:45 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Rather than eating lobster out and having to worry about bringing your own butter substitute, why not just make it yourself at home? Do you have a grocery store that sells live lobsters? It's not too hard to make -- just bring a pot of water to a boil, say a prayer and an apology, and plunge the little guy in there. When he's red, he's done! Then you can top it with whatever you like, and order something else when you are out.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: can you make it at home? new
      #269503 - 06/14/06 06:56 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks for all your suggestions, I take it none of you like the thought of bringing my own butter and asking it be made?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

2 choices from Cooking Light new
      #269880 - 06/16/06 05:19 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Roasted Lobster Tails with Ginger Dipping Sauce

Sauce:
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon water
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon plum sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
3/4 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger

Lobster:
2 (8-ounce) frozen lobster tails, thawed
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Sliced green onions (optional)

Preheat oven to 425°.
To prepare sauce, combine mustard and water in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Stir in soy sauce, plum sauce, sherry, and ginger; set aside.

To prepare lobster, make a lengthwise cut through the top of each lobster shell using kitchen shears, cutting to, but not through, lobster meat; press shell open. Place the lobster tails, cut sides up, in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Combine the oils and pepper, and spoon over the lobster meat.

Bake at 425° for 13 minutes or until the lobster meat turns opaque. Serve lobster with sauce, and garnish with onions, if desired.

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 1 lobster tail and 2 tablespoons dipping sauce)

CALORIES 194(23% from fat); FAT 5g (sat 0.8g,mono 1.4g,poly 2.1g); PROTEIN 27.6g; CHOLESTEROL 92mg; CALCIUM 86mg; SODIUM 1263mg; FIBER 0.2g; IRON 1.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 8.3g
Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2000

Thai Hot Sauce

Who needs butter when you can have this spicy, gutsy dipping sauce? An amazing blend of hot, sour, and salty, it's an unrivaled complement to sweet, buttery lobster meat. This sauce uses the entire pepper--seeds and all. For a milder sauce, halve the jalapeņos, then remove and discard the seeds and membranes.
This recipe goes with Spicy Grilled Corn

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
10 red or green jalapeņo peppers
10 garlic cloves, peeled

Place all ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.

Note: Store extra sauce in an airtight container for 1 week in the refrigerator.

Yield: 1 cup (serving size: 2 tablespoons)

CALORIES 13(7% from fat); FAT 0.1g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 0.5g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 10mg; SODIUM 295mg; FIBER 0.3g; IRON 0.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 3.1g
Cooking Light, JULY 2001

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Out new
      #270469 - 06/21/06 07:50 PM
Naturapanic

I went to eat the lobster, I brought my own butter?
Have you done this before?
I got a weird look from the waiter, and the people I was at the table with found it amusing.
It was all in good taste, and I explained to the waiter that I could not have regular butter.

I wanted to know, in the future what is best, if I bring my butter or skip the trouble?
I recall Heather's book saying people should understand our illness along with that going out to eat we are being served, but does this cross the etiqutte line?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1615 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6300

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review