All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
the casein blues new
      #215383 - 09/23/05 08:54 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Casein is a milk product which, of corse, is an IBS no-no! Ironically (as far as I know) all soy and rice "cheeses" contain casein. Heather includes these cheeses in some of her recipes. She has said the small amount of casein in these cheeses should be tolerable for IBS people. However, I don't know. Basically you would have to try it to see if you could tolerate it. Personally I stay away from anything containing casein.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Edible Soy Cheddar! new
      #216887 - 10/01/05 01:51 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

It DOES exist! I found it at Whole Foods. The brand name is Lisanatti Premium Soy Station cheddar style. It tastes much, much, much more like cheddar cheese than the Galaxy stuff (in my humble opinion, of course ) It melted great in the baked chimichangas I made last night.

It says it's gluten free. However, it DOES contain casein and carrageenan, and (last ingredient listed on the lablel) cultured lactic acid. These ingredients didn't seem to bother me, but I know that won't be true for everyone.

According to the label, they also make almond cheese.

Overall, though, I really liked it and it was safe for me. Mac & cheese, here I come!

Re: Beth you should really cut this out! new
      #216901 - 10/01/05 05:51 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

NO, I don't eat it at all. I don't eat any foods that are questionable...even one's that aren't on the list like carageenan.

I was just thinking about trying some rice cheese with casein because quite a few people seem to be okay with it. I don't think I will chance anything until, and if, I ever feel better.

Linz, when I read your subject line, I thought you were telling me to "cut it out" as in posting questions. I am having a particularly "food/supplement/symptom" questioning week on the boards. I haven't been feeling well, and my body is not liking the Acacia so far. Just another disappointing experience which is not going well. I was so hoping the Acacia would work for me.

I'm one of the people that can handle casien ok, I have rice cheese whenever and have not ever had a problem with it. I'm also very lactose intolerent, so you'd think I would but hey, guess not! Then again, maybe there's different amounts of casien in different brands...I wonder if that would make a difference, since I only eat a certain brand of rice cheese, I don't know if other types would bother me. Anyway, I say give it a try and see if it affects you. Otherwise how will you know?

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Edible Soy Cheddar! new
      #216932 - 10/01/05 08:20 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, that's a really good brand! Try their almond cheezes too, they're very creamy and delicious. Unfortunately, I'm starting to really believe that casein affects my IBS. But you're right--if you can tolerate casein, Lisanattie makes the best fake cheeses!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 738 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5064

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review