Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Reaction time to Trigger Foods ?
      #172936 - 04/23/05 09:59 AM
cjob68

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Winnipeg,Manitoba,Canada

Hi,
I am wondering how fast it takes for the IBS to react to trigger foods and why ? I find that if I have something that triggers the IBS ( i.e. a coffee or a high fat meal ) I have to run to the washroom either during the meal or right after. This however doesn't really make sense because doesn't it take about 12 hours for the food to go through the intestine ?

Thanks
cjob68

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Reaction time to Trigger Foods ? new
      #172941 - 04/23/05 10:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

No...the gastrocolic reflex (which is designed to tell your body which enzymes to produce) is set off as soon as the food is in your mouth so this can lead to an IBS attack. Most people find the reaction time to trigger foods varies. Plus, the pass-through time is different for each person, particularly in IBS.

#172978 - 04/23/05 02:43 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

As Linz says, you've been caught by your gastrocolic reflex. If you've got Heather's "The First Year-IBS", on pages 16-17 there are charts showing violent contractions in the very lower end of the colon within 15 minutes of a meal and Heather talks about all the times she's had to "rush from a dinner table before [she's] even finished [her] meal". All I can say is, me, too. Sob.

As I understand it, the idea behind eating soluble fiber before anything else is that, because it's relatively easy to digest, it helps our poor confused digestive systems start up gently, rather than lurching erratically into high gear the way they do with a lot of fat or other trigger foods. Sort of like warming up a car when the engine is cold. And if we snack throughout the day, rather than getting really hungry and empty, our digestive systems sort of hum along without ever really shutting down, so food is less of a shock. If you have a car that starts erratically, then whenever you possibly can you'll let it idle rather than turning it off.

I loved learning this concept - I practically cried when I first read Heather's explanation. For the first time, I understood why breakfast was always such a horrible ordeal for me - my digestive engine was very cold and very, very cranky.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#173076 - 04/24/05 07:23 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

As Linz says, you've been caught by your gastrocolic reflex. If you've got Heather's "The First Year-IBS", on pages 16-17 there are charts showing violent contractions in the very lower end of the colon within 15 minutes of a meal and Heather talks about all the times she's had to "rush from a dinner table before [she's] even finished [her] meal". All I can say is, me, too. Sob.

Here's those charts if you want to see them.

As I understand it, the idea behind eating soluble fiber before anything else is that, because it's relatively easy to digest, it helps our poor confused digestive systems start up gently, rather than lurching erratically into high gear the way they do with a lot of fat or other trigger foods. Sort of like warming up a car when the engine is cold. And if we snack throughout the day, rather than getting really hungry and empty, our digestive systems sort of hum along without ever really shutting down, so food is less of a shock. If you have a car that starts erratically, then whenever you possibly can you'll let it idle rather than turning it off. I LOVE this analogy!!

I loved learning this concept - I practically cried when I first read Heather's explanation. For the first time, I understood why breakfast was always such a horrible ordeal for me - my digestive engine was very cold and very, very cranky.

Gosh, Melissa... new
      #173082 - 04/24/05 08:23 AM
Sand

I though I'd gone through the whole Website. It looks like there are whole vast areas I never got to. I had no idea The First Year stuff was out there somewhere. Thanks for the info.

I'm glad you like the car analogy. Unfortunately, where it breaks down is in the whole trade-in thing - I haven't yet found a way to get a new digestive system.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Gosh, Melissa... new
      #173106 - 04/24/05 10:35 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I though I'd gone through the whole Website. It looks like there are whole vast areas I never got to. I had no idea The First Year stuff was out there somewhere. Thanks for the info. Go to the left where it says Diet and Recipes, then scroll down to the bottom and click on where it says "My Story". Practically an entire book is there. Just keep going to the next page when you get to the bottom.

I'm glad you like the car analogy. Unfortunately, where it breaks down is in the whole trade-in thing - I haven't yet found a way to get a new digestive system. LMBO...me too, but then I could use an overhaul of the entire outer body as well..LOL
Yes, Melissa's analogy is great.......and makes sense to all of us with IBS. Personally, mornings are ok for me...it's the end of the day that nails me...Kandee

--------------------

Re: Gosh, Melissa... new
      #173117 - 04/24/05 11:37 AM
Sand

Quote:

Quote:

I though I'd gone through the whole Website. It looks like there are whole vast areas I never got to. I had no idea The First Year stuff was out there somewhere. Thanks for the info. Go to the left where it says Diet and Recipes, then scroll down to the bottom and click on where it says "My Story". Practically an entire book is there. Just keep going to the next page when you get to the bottom. Oh, look at that. Surely I must have seen this at some point. Maybe I skipped it because I own the actual book and then, my memory being what it is (talk about needing an overhaul!) I just forgot it was there. Thanks to you and Melissa for pointing it out to me.

I'm glad you like the car analogy. Unfortunately, where it breaks down is in the whole trade-in thing - I haven't yet found a way to get a new digestive system. LMBO...me too, but then I could use an overhaul of the entire outer body as well..LOL
Yes, Melissa's analogy is great.......and makes sense to all of us with IBS. Personally, mornings are ok for me...it's the end of the day that nails me...Kandee
Hmm. I can't quite figure out a way to extend my car analogy to your end of the day problem. Unless you're overheating and have thrown a rod.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 705 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1695

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review