All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
unusual symptoms
      #167734 - 04/06/05 05:22 PM
koolkat

Reged: 04/06/05

I am new to this site and do not know where to post this. I am desperate to figure out what is wrong with me. My colon does not know how to regulate my body's water. As a result, I am acutely and chronically dehydrated, to the point of total debilitation. I am being treated with standard IBS antidepressants, but hate the side effects. My doctor has no clue what is wrong with me. Does this sound remotely familiar to anyone??!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Well, new
      #167751 - 04/06/05 06:51 PM
_Willow

Loc: Canada.

I odn't know if my dehydration is to your level, but I have A type, more toward C, and I am always dehydrated too. Do you get thirsty? I never do. i have to force myself to drink water. have you tried Zelnorm? Maybe you need a med to counteract the dehydration or you need to eat a ton of fruit like watermelon too?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Ooo! I was dehydrated for months! new
      #167804 - 04/07/05 12:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

One stupid doc even told me to just drink more water! Are you D? That was what I was when I was so dehydrated.

Do you take a SFS? Regulating my symptoms with one helped me so much.

Also, ask your pharmacist for rehydration salts - plain water will go straight through you when you badly dehydrated.

What other meds are you on?

Re: Ooo! I was dehydrated for months! new
      #167946 - 04/07/05 10:10 AM
koolkat

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a SFS? And, no, no Zelnorm. Isn't that the one that you can take for only a short time? I need more than that. Right now I am on amitriptyline (elavil). I've tried two others that give me diarrhea and major pain. This has been developing in me for three and a half years. I don't think it's temporary. Thanks, Koolkat

Re: unusual symptoms new
      #167961 - 04/07/05 10:59 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Sorry to hear things are going badly.
This board is great- alot of good people, experience& knowledge.
I take an AD also- the side effects initially were absolutely terrible- but now I don't really feel any ngative side effects- How long have you been on the AD's?
Melissa

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Re: Ooo! I was dehydrated for months! new
      #168199 - 04/08/05 12:41 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

SFS = Soluble Fibre Supplement. VERY helpful...you should really get one.

And I realised it wasn't temporary (did I give that impression? )...the rehydration salts can be taken everyday if you need them...which I did and it sounds like you do!

Btw, you do know Elavil causes side-effects like dry mouth, yeah? That might not be helping. And to be honest, IMHO a SFS is way more helpful than Elavil in combating IBS anyway!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1744 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 608

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review