All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
starting prodiem caps new
      #162053 - 03/18/05 07:12 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I bought Prodiem caplets today and want to start them this weekend while I am off work.

Here is the list of ingredients:

Calcium Polycarbophil 625mg equivalent to 500mg polycarbophil

Caramel, carnauba wax, crospovidone, hydroxpropyl methylcellulose, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, povidone, silicon dioxide, stearic acid, water

anything scary there?

I did a search on the boards before I went to see which one would be the best (besides acacia, next step if this doesn't work). Seems to be the only choice here in Canada that isn't physillium based.

The dosage says 2 caplets and do not exceed 4 doses per day. I was thinking of starting off with one cap for a week then increasing each week thereafter, sound good?

Sorry I know there have been alot of posts about this I am just very apprehensive when putting anything new in my tummy. I know each one works differently for each person but if there was something that red flagged anyone as something that would trigger me I wanted to know beforehand.

Have a great weekend everyone, and I appreciate any info you can give

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

bump for me n/t new
      #162434 - 03/20/05 12:42 PM
Betharoo

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: starting prodiem caps new
      #162439 - 03/20/05 12:54 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Although I can't pronounce a lot of that stuff, nothing jumps out at me that I recognize as bad stuff.

Does it say how many grams of fiber are in each dose? Are you taking any SFS now?

re: Mags2003 starting prodiem caps
      #162465 - 03/20/05 02:38 PM
Betharoo

lol, not being able to even so much as say most of those words is what made me worried most. Worried that they were a name for something else or just didn't recognize them.

They contain 625mg of calcium polycarbophil equivalent to 500 mg of polycarbophil

I am not on any SFS now because I was on Metamucil and had to stop it, made me more gassy and bloated which are both huge enough problems for me already.

Thanks so much for your help!!

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

For SFSs you don't necessarily want to be listening to what it says on the package.... new
      #162515 - 03/20/05 05:46 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

...mostly because lots of them are intended as short-term laxatives, and the directions on the package reflect that. But they work perfectly well (and are totally safe) to use in the long term for IBS.

Each caplet of your SFS only contains 625mg of SF, and you want to work up to getting 12-15 GRAMS a day - so up to 12 doses of 2 pills each (which would be 15g - or you could also do 6 doses of 4 pills each).

For the pills, Heather's recommendations are HERE -- she doesn't mention Prodiem but Calcium Polycarbophil is the same active ingredient that's in Equalactin and Fibercon, however there's a little more SF/caplet in the prodiem (625mg) than there is in Equalactin or Fibercon (500mg). On that page she recommends starting at 2 pills 1x daily and working up to 2 pills 6x daily. I'm doing the math here though and I'm only getting 7.5g a day with that dosage (625mg x 12 pills a day = 7.5g) and you want to be working up to 12-15g -- which she says right after that recommendation. Not sure, hopefully someone else can clear that up.

Oh, and I know. You need to take A LOT of pills with a pill-form SFS.

The SFS choice in Canada is terrible isn't it? I was on Metamucil too for a while (the pills, gawd I was popping those all day) and I didn't like it - felt so bloated all the time. I never tried Prodiem. I'm on Acacia now and I HIGHLY recommend it if the prodiem doesn't work out for you! Good luck with it

Re: Retrograde SFS's new
      #162520 - 03/20/05 06:07 PM
Betharoo

thanks so much for your info and reply. WOW that is alot of pills to take!!! I just started off with one cap, guess I'm not anywhere close to where I should be. Maybe I should be forgetting about the pills because that could be quite expensive. I got a 60 cap bottle and once I work my way up that will only last me about 3 days!!! @ $15
I have never taken a powder, I was on metamucil caps. When I first started the gastro had me making cookies with physillium husks in them. I didn't find time to bake all the time and the physillium was not nice to me
Guess I better get some powder and/or order some acacia
If the prodiem doesn't work that and metamucil are the only 2 SFS's I have seen here in Canada.
I do go to the US quite a bit and the majority of my family lives there so maybe I should get them to send me some Equalactin to try out? seems to be a fav to some here.
Once again, thanks SO MUCH for your info and reply

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#162521 - 03/20/05 06:14 PM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

As per my post that is what I was getting at. The cost for the pills is simply too high at moment. It is the same with Metamucil. It would be nice is Heather's product could be sold in Canada where we did not have to go to post office to pick up and pay the G.S.T. on top.

#162522 - 03/20/05 06:20 PM
retrograde

I think she's working on this. It's now be sold in stores in the US so it's only a matter of time!

#162523 - 03/20/05 06:29 PM
retrograde

Not a problem!

Yeah I know, it's crazy how many pills you have to take just to get a little bit of fiber. I couldn't stand taking all those metamucil caplets all day, and it definitely gets expensive.

For powders, metamucil is really your main choice. I think Prodiem does have a fiber powder... bulk fiber therapy powder, or something like that. From my memory it contains about half of what the Acacia contains fiber-wise per dose, so you'd need to take around 6 tbsp a day for the full 15g. I don't know much about it though or how much SF vs. IF is in it, or if it has a taste or texture to it. That's what I love about Acacia - I definitely don't know I'm taking it, in water, tea or food.

If you go down to the states a lot there are lots of other options though. Benefiber and Citrucel are other good ones (powders) I think too. With Equaltacin you're going to be taking lots and lots of pills all day too (as it actually contains less SF than prodiem) - lots of people on here use that in addition to another fiber, i.e. keep in in their purse for times when they're out, etc. It's really the same with any of the pills. I was *so* reluctant to try the powders when I first started - sounded so gross to me - but honestly, Acacia is great. Totally tasteless and it doesn't gum up the drink or food you're having it in. I haven't had any other powder so I can't really speak for any of the others...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1559 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3440

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review