All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Totally lost
      #150604 - 02/15/05 11:05 PM
Adriane

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii

I am totally frustrated! I know that everyone is different and you have to find what works for you but I can't seem to find it. I have read both of Heathers books and have cut out all of the things that I shouldn't be eating. I am losing weight and I attribute most of that to the fact that I don't want to eat much because it always makes me feel bad. I am taking Levsin(lots), Peppermint Caps and Citrucel daily. I normally feel decent until lunchtime and then even if I just eat a sandwich I bloat like no tomorrow. Then throughout the day I get progressively worse. This rules my life. I have horrible stomach cramping, bloating and awful gas. I honestly cannot remember a day in the last year where I didn't have something going on with my stomach. i feel like I am constantly complaining and not doing things because my stomach hurts. I drink peppermint tea and that doesn't help, I have tried the fennel tea too with no avail. i am so lost and my doctor has no more answers for me. If anyone has ANY ideas for me I would totally appreciate it. This has got to stop, I really can't live like this. Thank God for this website, I at least have an outlet to talk like this. Thanks to anyone listening.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Totally lost new
      #150618 - 02/16/05 02:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Try a different SFS...everyone reacts differently to them. I love Acacia and have NO bloating or gas from it unlike the one I used to be on.

Do you eat lots of small meals and snack? This could help...if I eat a reasonable size meal on an empty tum, I bloat up too, but if I don't let my tum get so empty I have less trouble.

Also, were you properly diagnosed? Did you have a colonoscopy done? Have you been tested for Coeliac?

#150633 - 02/16/05 04:00 AM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

Aloha - I agree with what Linz said...what about an antispasmodic also? I am taking bentyl and zelnorm..besides levsin. I will be moving to Honolulu in August..we can support each other. I used to know it was almost 2:00 - everyday my stomach would start about that time? I started doing more excercise throughout the day and not letting my tummy get so empty (so I wouldn't overeat). Are you keeping a food diary? We WILL figure this out!:-)

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

#150650 - 02/16/05 05:54 AM
jen828

Reged: 02/15/05

hi, I am SO VERY SORRY for your pain--I had the SAME EXPERIENCES!! I have to food combine..where i do not eat starches and proteins together..and i eat fruit ALONE or 25 minutes before something else. This helped me tremendously.?? Good luck!! JEN

#150656 - 02/16/05 06:07 AM
Pat in RI

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Rhode Island, USA

I am totally new to this myself, but I understand where you're coming from. Over the weekend, I was so depressed, I suggested that my husband send me away somewhere so I wouldn't be such a burden to him!! I don't have any answers for you YET, but I'm not going to give up...I'll keep working at it until something works...and I just want to encourage you to do the same. Hang in there, girl!!

#150679 - 02/16/05 07:16 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I know exactly what you mean - EVERY SINGLE day before dinner time I start to feel gross with bloating, gas, sometimes nausea and just an unsettled stomach then after I eat dinner I either feel the same or worse. I too am still looking for answers but I have found that if I go for a walk in the afternoon that sometimes it can help. Exercise is very good for IBS but at the same time I think it takes my mind off of a lot of it. I obsess all day long over how my stomach feels or is going to feel - it has completley taken over my life! Hang in there and hopefully you figure something out (if you do let me know!)

#151026 - 02/16/05 10:40 PM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Hi,
I am so sorry that you are losing weight and hving so much problem. I too went through this but had to control my diet by not taking milk and its products, beef, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, red chillies. Most of the food i cook has very little oil and no chillies at all. From my experience I noticec that if your stomach is empty then the gases form. I also learned that there should be no eating during meals and certainly not before 1 hr. after meals. I have my breakfast at home and come to office by which time more than an hour has passed before I drink black tea. I do this all the time checking the time I finish lunch and dinner and have water later. I bought fennel seeds and roasted them and kept one bottle at home, one in my bag and one in the office. Chew on fennel seeds every hour. Try this it might help.

#151027 - 02/16/05 10:43 PM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

A correction to be made here. There should be no drinking of water or liquids during meals and 1 hour after meals.

#151062 - 02/17/05 06:22 AM
shandy

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Alabama

My guess is that you are eating something you are intolerant to. I had the same symptoms for YEARS - I'd feel fine til lunch and then it was all downhill. I had to schedule anything important in the mornings because I was so sick in the afternoons. Turned out it was it was the soy protein bars I was eating and I've since discovered I can't touch soy product - this discovery changed my life.

Try completely changing what you have for breakfast and lunch to something totally safe (for you) and see if it helps.

Jen

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old
Neither D nor C - just sluggish

Re: Totally lost (Long post) new
      #151306 - 02/17/05 12:23 PM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Wow- what an amazing post- When I read it I thought I was reading something I wrote.
You sound like you are going through exactly what I go through every day- except my cramps start after breakfast and last until bedtime.
I am 5'6" and weigh 109 pounds. (that doesn't make me happy) 3 weeks ago I weighed 119 pounds. But then I had a bout of D, which is something totally new to me- (They diagnosed me as C, although if I eat properly and take my Citrucel I would have a BM faithfully every day) (BUT STILL HAD CRAMPS ALLLLL DAY). It doesn't matter if I have 1 BM or 4, I still have cramps All day. I was prescribed the antispasmodic (hysocyamine)(nulev, levsin,levbid) all the same. Well the .0125mg didn't touch the "pain", the .375 took the "edge" off but to make the pain really be gone- NEED 2 pills which would knock me out- then after 3 days of taking the antispasmodics I got constipated, and couldn't urinate very well. Oh and had extrememly blurry vision, so that ended that. I had to take laxatives for 4 days to have a decent bm and I don't want to get into that habit either. I am on my 15th day of taking 50mg of Zoloft(SSRI), I really don't feel anything from it yet though. I don't know if my story has helped at all but if it did then that makes me happy. Please feel free to write if theres anything else you want to ask me about.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1759 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 49894

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review