All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
South Beach new
      #130574 - 12/14/04 09:01 PM
ncartist

Reged: 02/11/04
Loc: Durham, NC

My doctor put me on the South Beach diet about 2 weeks ago, and I have been in constant IBS-D . He gave me an antispasmodic for my colon, but it hasn't stoped it. He said to give it a chance, but this is not working.
I have fibromyalgia, hypoglycemia, hypothryroidism, IBS-D..and I need to loose about 30lbs.

Everything seems to have a different diet. I understand my doctor wants to get my hypoglycemia under control with the high protein, and he wants me to loose weight. But I feel awful. My lower belly hurts all the time. Especially on the right side. So much so that my GYN thought I had an ovarian cyst, but the ultrasound didn't show anything.

I just want to feel better, and I want to loose weight. I try to get some form of exercise daily, but the fibromyalgia prohibits me from doing exercise that is too stenuous. I stick to walking, and basic yoga mostly.

Thanks for listening, and I would love all the advice I can get.

Wendy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: South Beach new
      #130617 - 12/15/04 05:07 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I wouldn't touch the south beach diet with a ten foot pole. It's not a great idea for someone with IBS. Heather's diet is nutritionally sound, withlots of flexibility. IT is based on all four food groups. We have people here with fibro, diabetes, hypoglycemia, and lots of other problems. I suggest you take Heather's diet and tailor it to your needs. Heather's diet is very low fat, and based on the American Food Guide - you will likely lose weight on it as well. I don't want to go against what your doctor recommends, but it's something to discuss with him/her.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I couldn't say it better... new
      #130618 - 12/15/04 05:19 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I second all of that. Eating low-carb made me so sick that it very nearly landed me in the hospital. It IS possible to follow Heather's diet and still work around other health problems, and that's definitely what I'd recommend - before you get any sicker from South Beach. Good luck!

So true! new
      #130762 - 12/15/04 01:20 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

mom thought I should do South beach because I'm hypoglycemic and have tummy issues, I told my doc and had him laughing so hard he fell off the chair... high protein isn't against this diet, but high protein, low carb is... you just need ot find the balance... and the low carb stuff- that says it is has so many nasty chemicals in it that give people issues and when you cut out dairy and red meat- HUGE triggers for IBS'ers you can't survive healthily on south beach-

the recommendation is include protein (fish/chicken, turkey, soy, etc..) in each meal, eat small portions more often.. 6 times a day works for me... and include healthy amounts of soluble fiber... I have lost pounds AND gotten my tummy under control and had fewer issues with my blood sugar since i started this (the few low sugar days have been after I've screwed up and had major bouts of D!)

Good luck

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: I couldn't say it better... new
      #130791 - 12/15/04 02:34 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

At least South Beach is better than Atkins...but it wreaks havoc on your GI tract. My GI doc is very against any low carb diets (and GF unless you have Celiac's). Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: South Beach
      #130797 - 12/15/04 02:44 PM
Elite

Reged: 12/14/04

The IBS diet has helped me lose just over 40 lbs in 8-9 months. You can incorporate the high protien that you need for your hypoglycemia. The IBS diet is low in fat and many people have lost alot of weight on it. My GF has also lost 25-30 lbs on the diet. I would suggest not sticking to the south beach diet if you are feeling that bad for 2 weeks. You will notice a difference if you begin with a soluble fiber supplement and start the IBS diet.

#131969 - 12/20/04 05:34 PM
Cate712

Reged: 07/18/03
Loc: Missouri

Hi HanSolo!

Great to see your little one! I've been away for some time but sneak in to see what's going on once in a while.

I am embarrassed to say that I was drawn into the South Beach diet. I knew better but did it anyway. Since I've spent the money, I guess I'll keep on their message board. Maybe I can convert some of them to Heather's website!

I gained about 10-15 lbs this year because I stopped following Heather's advice. I started feeling better and thought it was great to eat pasta, rice, breads, etc. so I stopped watching my portions. Chocolates crept in too!! Now all the weight I lost after I started my IBS diet came back and hangs over my jeans . So, I've lost money to South Beach and had a miserable weekend cutting all carbs both mentally and physically. I believe it was rock bottom!

Anyway, I'm back and hope I can stop being so shy so I can get to know you all better!

#132035 - 12/21/04 05:24 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Glad you're back. Don't be too hard on yourself. Everyone makes mistakes. Just dust yourself off and keep going. The marvelous thing about Heather's diet (you're right) is all the rice, bread, and pasta we get to eat. Just keep your portions in check. EAt smaller meals and snack more often. You'll be feeling better in notime. Hope to see you around!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1765 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1427

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review