All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about pears
      #109520 - 10/01/04 09:35 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I read somewhere, I have no idea where, that certain pears are better to eat than others where IBS is concerned. I can't remember which pears are worse than others. I did a search, but came up with nothing. Did anyone else see this article/post (which ever it may be)? Or does anyone know the answer? Please help! Thanks!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about pears new
      #109525 - 10/01/04 09:57 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

This is the only thing that I found......

Quote:

http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/thanksgiving111802.html

Cinnamon Pear Tart with Almond Crust
Makes a 9" pie - 8 generous or 16 small slices

This makes a beautiful, cinnamon-scented pie mounded high with juicy pear slices. The richly flavored almond crust is accented by the delicate touch of almond extract in the filling. Bartlett or Comice pears work well here, but Bosc pears will not cook down as much and will stay very firm .

Crust:
1 cup almonds
1/4 cup unbleached white flour
2 T brown sugar
1/8 t salt
1/8 t cinnamon
1 t vanilla extract
1-2 T water

Generously spray a 9" pie plate (preferably Pyrex or ceramic) with cooking oil. Set aside. In a blender or food processor combine the almonds and 2 T of the flour. Pulse on and off until the nuts are finely ground. If using a blender, stop and scrape down sides with a rubber spatula as needed. Transfer nut mixture to a medium size bowl, and add remaining flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Mix with a fork until well blended. Add water one tablespoon at a time, mixing well, until the dough holds together when you squeeze it in your hand. You want to add just enough water to let the dough hold together, without making it sticky. With your hands, press the dough evenly across the bottom and slightly up the sides of the prepared pie plate. Set aside and make filling.

Filling:
6 medium size firm-ripe pears, peeled and cored, cut into 1/4" slices
2 T unbleached white flour
1 t cinnamon
3 T packed brown sugar
zest of 1 lemon
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T almond extract
1/8 t salt

Preheat oven to 375F. Add pear slices to a large bowl and sprinkle gradually with the flour as you toss them gently with a rubber spatula. Add remaining ingredients and gently combine with the spatula. Turn filling out into unbaked crust. Bake for 35 minutes and cool on a metal rack. Serve warm.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

I saw that too... new
      #109530 - 10/01/04 10:02 AM
RachelT

but it wasn't what I was looking for. I remember reading something about asian pears and red pears, and how one kind or another would cause IBS symptems to flare up.

Thanks for trying though, Shell!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#109708 - 10/01/04 07:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

I have always heard pears were gas producing. If you've seen the movie The Madness of King George you'll see what I mean. My hub blames pears for gas all the time especially green ones.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#109715 - 10/01/04 07:54 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not going to be of any help here, but I just thought I'd throw in that raw/fresh pears have always given me a stomachache, but canned pears (I buy the kind in light syrup or juice) are just fine.

Re: I saw that too... new
      #109755 - 10/02/04 07:45 AM
Teresa Lynn

Reged: 09/16/04

Hi Becky,
I found this information which may be what you're looking for. According to the Chinese, pears are considered a cooling fruit and they are excellent for fevers, ulcers or other stomach ailments. . For the Chinese, almonds come in two main varieties: there are "northern" (bitter) and "southern" (sweet) almonds. Both are used by the Chinese for food and medicine. … Sweet almonds have a neutral nature, while the bitter are warming, but both lubricate the intestines and temper coughs. Almond tea made with almonds steeped in boiling water, then sweetened with rock sugar, is often drunk as a remedy for coughing.

Recipe from ""A Spoonful of Ginger" by Nina Simonds
6 nearly ripe Asian pears
2 lemons
6 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons "southern" Chinese almonds

1. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each pear so that it will stand upright. Peel the pears and rub the surface with a cut lemon half to prevent them from turning brown. Cut the top squarely off each pear, slicing about 2 inches from the top, and with a melon baler or spoon, carefully remove the core and seeds. Do not cut through to the bottom of the pear. Reserve the tops.

2. Arrange the pears on a pie plate or some kind of a heatproof plate. Spoon a tablespoon of the honey into each pear and sprinkle some of the almonds on top. Place the reserved tops on the pears, if necessary securing them with toothpicks. Place the plate in a steamer tray if using.

3. Fill a wok or large pot with enough water to reach the bottom of the steamer tray and bring to a boil.

4. Cover and steam 40 to 45 minutes, or until the fruit is tender when pierced with a knife. Serve the Asian pears warm, at room temperature or cold.
Teresa

Thanks Teresa Lynn! new
      #109758 - 10/02/04 07:51 AM
RachelT

But that's still not what I'm looking for. However, I love the info you just posted! That's awesome knowledge to have! Thanks!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1759 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1003

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review