All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Diet good :) Doctor BAD :( new
      #102569 - 08/30/04 10:04 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

The Good News :- I am doing OK with adding new foods to my diet per my previous post... but still have cramps.

The Bad News :- I got really upset over the weekend as I felt like I was spending all my energy on getting through the working week and just crashing at the weekend, not fit to do anything. So I made an appt with my GP today as I am not due to go back to GI dr for 2 weeks. I didn't feel nearly as bad BEFORE the colonoscopy.

GP still hasn't gotten a report from my colonoscopy (3 weeks ago) from the GI dr so all she knows is what I told her. ... SHE WAS MEAN TO ME!! She is usually so nice & understanding. I said I was avoiding certain foods etc and she said "IBS is a stress related illness, food has nothing to do with it"
so I had tried to explain otherwise. She phoned the GI doc's secretary and got me an appt with him tomorrow at 4pm. I was really upset as she continued asking me if I had any holidays coming up etc. and focusing on stress. I took a month off in February and went to Australia and Japan, had a fabulous break, told her and she said.. "that was very early in the year... you are paying for it now"

YES I ADMIT IT...I have been stressed lately- My boyfriend had an emergency appendectomy at the end of June & was in hospital for a week and at home sick for 6 weeks, my family/parents situation is "difficult" to say the least, so add that to my job as an inhouse lawyer and its stress city BUT I CAN COPE! I am a grownup and ask for help when I need it. I went to therapy last year and learned how to deal the "stuff" in my life and the last thing I needed was to be patronised like that!!!

I know stress affects IBS but she was completely denying that diet has ANYTHING to do with it. Even if it was stress alone that was the problem, she didn't give me any pointers to deal with it, or a note to escape work..nothing. I feel like I have been robbed of €40 for her fee! I am going to the GI doc tomorrow and am so nervous that he will feed me the same lines, fingers crossed for me!

OK, crazy lady rant over, normal service shall resume....How's everyone??

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Diet good :) Doctor BAD :( new
      #102574 - 08/30/04 10:20 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Sinead,
Sorry you had such a bad time - so many doctors seem to understand SO little about IBS! When I read the first part of your post I was thinking about reminding you that while your diet is equally important, stress is a key factor, but it looks like you're keeping that in mind already. And, as you mentioned, insensitive doctors certainly don't help anything!!! I hope you get your results back soon though - maybe then the doctors will be able to tell you something more substantive. Meanwhile - stick with the diet and hope you feel better.
Min

Ugh. new
      #102577 - 08/30/04 10:24 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Don't you just wish those kinds of people would get IBS???? I know that's mean to say, but I hate how stupid people can be about it - if they don't know, they shouldn't say ANYTHING!

--------------------
~Cara~

#102599 - 08/30/04 11:30 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

She's wrong. But don't stress over it!! (Sorry, couldn't resist.) he he

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Diet good :) Doctor BAD :( -GI Doctor GOOD!!!!
      #102853 - 08/31/04 12:10 PM
cailin

UPDATE to my previous post.

I had the appointment with my GI doctor today, I was really nervous about it but it went great. I had a ton of questions that I got to ask him.

We had a long chat about I have been and he was very sympathetic and listened to me. He cancelled my antispasmodic and put me on an antidepressant- Cipramil/citalopram 20mg . He was very nice and gave me a big explanation that he didn't think I was depressed but that research had shown it was useful for IBS etc. I told him I had "read up" on the area so I understood, but he obviously has patients who are very sensitive about taking an antidepressant, but really at this stage I would be happy to have the word "IDIOT" tatooed on my forehead if it made my tummy better!

I told him what my GP(general practitioner doctor) said yesterday and waited for him to agree.. BUT HE DIDN'T - he said that diet did have a lot to do with relieving IBS but that different patients of his were thriving on completely different diets, that a lot depends on the person. I understand that since everyone on the boards talks about being able to tolerate different things. He advised me to continue keeping my food diary to see what triggers me most.

He has written to my GP explaining my illness ("moderately severe IBS"- how can something be both "moderate" and "severe"?? )and the relevant treatment and I am to refer back to her(GP) not him. She will probably see the Antidepressant and think she was right but at least I know the truth!

ANYWAYS, I am so much happier now. Drug attempt No2- is there ANY chance it might be the last? At least I feel supported by my GI doctor which is great

Feeling positive...found a place that has soy icecream on the way back from my appointment!!

Sinead
...in much happier humour!

--------------------
S.

Re: Diet good :) Doctor BAD :( -GI Doctor GOOD!!!! new
      #102854 - 08/31/04 12:13 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Quote:

but really at this stage I would be happy to have the word "IDIOT" tatooed on my forehead if it made my tummy better!

LOL! Sinead, you are SO funny! Glad the doctor visit went well.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#103135 - 09/01/04 10:18 AM
JayJay

Reged: 08/02/04
Loc: Northern New Jersey

I don't know what the deal is in Dublin but you should have had your test results in hours, not weeks. As far as your GP is concerned the quicker you put some distance between you and her, the better. There's got to be other practitioners more knowledgable and empathetic as she. The last thing you need is for your choice of physicians to increase rather than reduce your stress.

#103170 - 09/01/04 11:45 AM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Sounds like this doctor is still of the old school thought that it is ALL stress related - meaning that stress is the cause. There is diarrhea related to stress on occassion that EVERYONE suffers from, but what we have is a real problem of motility and stress merely exacerbates the condition - it does not cause the condition. Doctor's need to get a cluee if they want to keep their honorable reputations.

--------------------
Dana

Jay Jay new
      #103220 - 09/01/04 01:15 PM
cailin

Thanks JayJay, I confused things in my post, I got my results while still sedated after the colonoscopy and got them repeated to me by the nurses later but my general dr never got them from my GI doc (administrative error). I have been happy with my regular doc to date so I am going to give her another chance, she has been really good about other problems that I have...one chance though that's it!!

--------------------
S.

Re: Diet good :) Doctor BAD :( DanaNoel new
      #103228 - 09/01/04 01:23 PM
cailin

Thanks DanaNoel, as I said to JayJay I am going to give her one more chance and see how it goes, at least my GI doc understood so I am getting good and understanding care from him.

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4805 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1817

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review