All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
allergy to Beano
      #101482 - 08/26/04 06:40 AM
Living Waters Ranch

Reged: 07/23/04
Loc: Georgia, USA

Gas is a big problem for me. I walk regularly, try to stay on Heather's diet, use the yoga posture for gas, and still have a lot of gas. I am pretty stable with my IBS except for this problem. I recently tried Beano, but found I was allergic to it. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Is it safe to use Gas-X or Pepto Bismal on a regular basis?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: allergy to Beano new
      #101488 - 08/26/04 06:52 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I use Phazyme for gas several times a week and it works for me. Also, Pepto Bismol may help but I use that mainly for nausea.

Are you staying away from gas producing foods?

Check other posts because there have been a lot of them on help for gas.

Barbie

--------------------

#101548 - 08/26/04 09:12 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I'm allergic to Beano too, to my great disappointment. I take a generic version of Gas-X every day as a preventive.

But it's really important to follow Heather's diet too. I have no problem with gas producing vegetables like broccoli, but I do need to stay away from the various types of beans, much as I love them. I don't eat them often enough for my body to start producing the enzyme to digest them.

And just make double sure you're not cheating on the diet in any way. Heather did a series of articles on the Seven Sneaky IBS Sins that I highly recommend reading!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#101877 - 08/27/04 08:30 AM
Living Waters Ranch

Barbie,
I have not heard of Phazyme before. What is it and where can you find it? I do include beans in my diet. Do beans have to be excluded alltogether?

#101886 - 08/27/04 08:36 AM
Living Waters Ranch

Laura,
Thanks for the input. Yes, I do eat beans and sometimes fudge on Heather's diet. For the most part, I try to follow it, but my family and I really enjoy beans and bean soup.

#101893 - 08/27/04 08:48 AM
denoon

Reged: 08/11/04
Loc: Highlands, North Carolina

What kind of allergy reaction did you guys have?

#101965 - 08/27/04 12:04 PM
LauraSue

I didn't have a reaction because I read the label and knew I couldn't risk it. In general allergic reactions start with an itchy mouth or a rash.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#101966 - 08/27/04 12:06 PM
LauraSue

Phazyme and Gas-X are brand names for a product called simethicone which is a very effective anti-gas treatment. You can find it in the drugstore near the antacids like Maalox. The big chains like RiteAid all have their store brands too which is what I buy because it's cheaper but just as good!

As far as loving beans, tell me about it! My mom's family is from the south and I grew up on bean soup and cornbread or baked beans with molasses!

They don't have to be excluded from Heather's diet, actually they are very healthy. But they sure do cause gas unless you eat them every day and your body adjusts to them, or take Beano. Otherwise it's Gas-X to the rescue!! And a good airfreshener!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#101971 - 08/27/04 12:33 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

Hi- for me, Beano did not produce any results---but I found that I can eat small amounts of Heinz VEGETARIAN beans--cooked and mashed up a bit--they have not caused any gas-and I did have a problem with gas too--I take Pepto in caplet form and it really helps with gas and nausea too. Good luck and feel good!

#102187 - 08/28/04 10:26 AM
Living Waters Ranch

The allergy reaction I had was hives. Since I have allergies to mold, I never should have tried Beano.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2299 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5994

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review