All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Waste of a co-pay and an hour of my time!
      #332430 - 07/14/08 12:21 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

So I just wasted 35 dollars and an hour of my time. I went to get allergy tested mainly for avacados and honey. I also seem to have a reaction to eggs and bananas. All they had was the test for eggs and bananas, so he couldnt do the avacado and honey tests the ones I cared most about. Ugh, but I found out that I am not "allergic" to eggs or bananas but he said that just because I didnt have an immediate reaction doesnt mean that I wont have a delayed intolerance to those things. So what exactly did that tell me?! He suggested doing some sort of blind food test where he masks the honey with other food, I eat it and then he sees me react! I was like.... no! I dont need a doctor for me to see how I react! He asked me how I know that this is food allergies and not just my "IBS acting up". I told him that its a completely different feeling and I've been dealing with these "food allergies" for years and I've been dealing with IBS for months. I just now decided that for once and for all I wanted to know exactly what I was allergic to. Oh well. I guess I will try bananas again and see what happens. Not today though... I'm not feeling brave!! Thanks for letting me vent! Hope you are all feeling well!

Stef

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Waste of a co-pay and an hour of my time! new
      #332433 - 07/14/08 01:08 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Awww, Stef.
I am so sorry your doctor is an idiot. I completely understand your frustration. I think we all have been there! I gave up on western medicine a LONG time ago! Which is wierd, since I am an RN...heheee

I had an allergy test done years ago, and it said I was not allergic to anything. Very frustrating!

I'm giving you ((((hugs)))) and a kick in the pants for the Doc!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#332441 - 07/14/08 02:51 PM

Unregistered

Stef, I am so sorry you had such a time at the dr. I don't understand these dr. sometimes
I know for sure I can not tolerate egges, and never been tested for alergies, but I know with my IBS what makes me sick
I feel for you
Hang in there, and know we support you and here is a good place to vent.
Hugs to you
Hugs, DeeDee

#332447 - 07/14/08 03:23 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

What a sucky day!
I thought when you went to have allergy testing done they did a whole pile of stuff?
If you are thinking of trying bananas again make sure you eat really safe and then you'll know if the banana did it.
I used to have a problem with bananas.When I had one sometimes they would give me gas.Since I found out that they are sf I haven't had a problem.I eat them all the time.I wonder if that is a mind gut connection.If now that Heather said these are ok my mind and body believe it and I don't have a problem anymore.Weird!

I'm sorry to hear your doc is a quack!maybe you could look for a better one.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Thank you all for letting me vent! new
      #332466 - 07/14/08 08:05 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Thanks all for your nice words everyone. Its nice to be able to vent here and have people not only understand but be able to relate to the situation. I thought I was going to get some answers and instead it was just a waste. All of us on this board have been to a doctor and walked out going "what did I just pay for?!" Its just frustrating. I also thought he would test me for a lot of things. But instead he asked me what I wanted to be tested for and I just knew off the top of my head the food that causes my reactions so I told him those. Oh well, live and learn right?! Thanks again everyone!

Stef

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 216 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3304

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review