All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
QUES: probiotics & antibiotics
      #312266 - 07/30/07 01:18 PM
GrannyLiz

Reged: 07/30/07

Hi, I'm new to the board and have a ques. Have had IBS-D since age 33 and am now 77 with IBS-C. I've had all the usual advice - bran, less stress, psyllium seeds, on and on and on. My attacks of pain and degree of C have increased dramatically in the last year until I can no longer function. I have been on a maintenance program of ANTIBIOTICS for recurring infections in a total knee implant (not uncommon) and I am thinking this could be the reason for the increased symptoms. I see PROBIOTICS mentioned in some of the postings and wonder if it is OK to take both antibiotics and probiotics at the same time? Will one weaken the effect of the other? Appreciate any info
Granny Liz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: QUES: probiotics & antibiotics new
      #312272 - 07/30/07 02:50 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Yes,

I know for a fact you can take BioK while on antibiotics - it says so on the box! You have to take them 2 hours apart that's all. But, that is for D, not C. Worth checking into though!

Here is their website

http://www.biokplus.com/

There are a bunch of posts about it from K2 and others - I just started taking it myself yesterday. For the $$, it is well worth it for me!

Best of luck recovering from the knee replacement and this latest IBS setback.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#312282 - 07/30/07 04:02 PM
GrannyLiz

Reged: 07/30/07

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'm looking into the Bio-K for C as well as D
Liz

#312283 - 07/30/07 04:02 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

It's absolutely safe from my understanding, but if you're ever in doubt about your meds interacting with another medication (be it Rx or herbal or whatever), always run it by your doctor, too, for added assurance.

I take probiotics daily and always up my dosage if I ever have to take antibiotics. If you don't want to take them via pill form, you can look for soy yogurt at your health food store. It should contain acidophilus and other beneficial probiotics.

Hope you feel better soon!

#313471 - 08/18/07 09:56 AM
DrJPB

Reged: 07/24/07

Hi Granny Liz,
I take a "super-probiotic" called Symbion and it says you can take them with antibiotics (in fact, recommended), just as far apart as possible (2 - 3 hours). You would think by now that doctors would all recommend taking a good probiotic with antibiotics. It's just common sense you would think. This one really helps my IBS symptoms too. Good luck with your recovery - ouch!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2338

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review