Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need help again
      #170246 - 04/15/05 02:36 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,

I went to my doctor the other day and she acknowledged that I have gained A LOT of weight and that I am now overweight (Obese according to my little chart on the Diet and Exercise Program!!) and she said that it is probably because of my D finally stopping.. But that doesn't seem to account for why I weigh 20 lbs more than I ever have, even at my laziest and most stable!!
So she took me of amitriptyline, which she said should help but will take 6 weeks to know for sure!

I told her about my diet, and she said that I definitely need to try and eat fewer carbs, and more protein and veggies. I am still pretty scared of veggies, and I am REALLY scared of eating fewer carbs. She said if I get nervous, I can take an extra one of my colitis meds and I should be okay but I am hesitant.
She said the worst carbs because of sugar content are potatoes, rice and pasta.

So what is a SAFE way that I can reduce my number of carbs and increase the other stuff to lose weight, without getting sick??

I am still trying to get in the exercise I need, but I know I need to do more of that too.
Cutting down on sugar is really hard for me, but I am feeling so blah.. I am still slowly creeping up and up on the scale.

Please help if you can!!
Thanks all!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need help again new
      #170249 - 04/15/05 02:42 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Sweetheart, are you on a fibre supplement? This can help you reduce the amount of SF in your diet, but not comprimise the good that it does for your GI system. I would seriously consider it. It's low in calories and simply "can't hurt!".

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Need help again new
      #170254 - 04/15/05 03:19 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

One of the best ways I've found to reduce my carbs a little while still eating them is to measure, measure, measure! So often we think we're eating a "portion", but we really aren't. When I was trying to gain weight, I ate potatoes like crazy, so I can definitely vouch for their ability to put on pounds - you can eat a lot of them without even realizing it. Now I measure: a serving of potatoes is 1/2 cup. I almost never eat baked potatoes any more, because depending on the size, they're sometimes 4-5 servings!

Personally, I've found rice to be really good, because you can eat smaller amounts of it and it's still filling, unlike pasta. I do mostly avoid pasta now. But rice is still good, as long as you don't eat a lot of it.

I know all about the fear of veggies... stick with the easier ones for now, like carrots and peas. Once you feel more confident about them, you can try the others. Increasing protein shouldn't be too hard - chicken and fish tend to be "neutral", not SF but not IF either, so you should be able to increase those without too many worries.

And I'm with Alicia - a SFS would help, too. Then you'll know you're getting your SF, even if you're not necessarily "eating" it as much.

Oh yeah!! new
      #170267 - 04/15/05 05:27 PM
Stephie

You are so clever! I can't believe I didn't think of that! I was wracking my brains like, "What am I gonna do??" Hee hee.
I went off SFS when my stomach was really bad and I tried to start from scratch. I was stable for a while, so figured I would just go back on it when I was 'not so stable' but then I never did.
What a good idea, thank goodness for you!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Casey! new
      #170268 - 04/15/05 05:32 PM
Stephie

What would I do without you guys??

Thanks for the reply, that really helps. I think I will cut out potatoes, and maybe only have small amounts of pasta every once in a while.
I think rice is a good idea too, I could have smaller amounts more easily 'cause you are right about it being way easier to measure.

I have been a bit better with veggies, I have been asparagus pretty often and some other stuff but I would only eat it WITH lots of SF... I'll have to tinker around with it I guess and see how my belly reacts.

Thanks again, you all are so helpful, I was in total 'There is no way around this!!' mode.

**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Casey! new
      #170396 - 04/16/05 06:11 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Steph-

The best safe and completely guilt free food I know is veggie soup. The veggies are all cooked and since they're in tomato broth you can eat as much of it as you like and not feel bad- the water fills you up and it's almost no calories. Good luck!

Veggie soup new
      #170813 - 04/18/05 08:42 AM
Stephie

Do you have a recipe for this?
I have never made soup before and am not really sure where to start... how clueless is that??

Anyway, thanks again, this is a great idea!!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Veggie soup new
      #170914 - 04/18/05 12:47 PM
chinagrl

Hmm... I might be the wrong person to ask about making food. I am incredibly lazy. My general recipe- find safe soup stock, make hot water and mix it with the soup stock powder. Add a small can of mixed veggies. Cook. Voila! I also eat a lot of safe canned soup. You could also do the same thing with the soup stock powder (or a big jar of tomato juice) and add cut up veggies and cook until they are tender if you're into the cutting up veggies thing.

What a fab idea! new
      #171012 - 04/18/05 05:48 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I never thought of this befoe! Geting tom juice and cutting up veggies and cooking and them mushing. Veggie soup....hurray!

Thanks China

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: What a fab idea! new
      #171118 - 04/18/05 08:27 PM
chinagrl

No problem Ruchie! I like the new picture. Maybe veggie soup can substitute for cheese? I'm a cheese fiend too. I don't keep it in the house.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3792

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review