All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need some advice - gastritis
      #98874 - 08/17/04 09:37 AM
DianeU

Reged: 07/02/04
Loc: Iowa

I was recently diagnosed with gastritis and also suffer from IBS-D. I have been having the gastritis problem since the first of the year. My GI put me on Protonix. I have been taking it for a week now, but haven't felt it doing a whole lot for me. I'm guessing I need to be on it longer to see results, at least I hope. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any other things I can be doing or taking to help this sometimes unbearable pain and pressure in my upper abdomen. Some days I don't have this feeling, but the days I do it is really miserable. I am watching what I eat. I have also looked at past posts on gastritis and only saw that some people are taking Protonix for it.

My GI doesn't seem to think that the gastritis could be causing all of this discomfort. He did blood work on me and an ultrasound and found that everything was normal. A couple of months ago I had the scope down the stomach and that is when they found the gastritis. They took biopsies and found there is NO bacteria. Any advice would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks,
Diane

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need some advice - gastritis new
      #98880 - 08/17/04 09:55 AM
bz

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi Diane,

I'm also IBS-D and take Protonix for GERD. It works for me but you might need to take it a little longer to see results. A week really isn't that long for it to start working.

Did you cut the triggers out of your diet (i.e., coffee, caffeine, soda, acidic foods)? These were always strong triggers for me with regard to the pain.

Good luck and I hope you feel better very soon.

Barbara

#98893 - 08/17/04 11:47 AM
DianeU

Yes, I cut those trigger foods out a long time ago due to the IBS.

Diane

#99034 - 08/18/04 01:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Give it time. I was on Lansoprazole (Zoton????) for GERD for MONTHS. It took a few weeks to work properly, but when I finally came off it, no more reflux!

Are you also eating small meals, in small well-chewed mouthfuls and never drinking anything fast?

Good luck.

#99085 - 08/18/04 09:02 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

I have Gastritis as well. The Gastro guy put me on Protonix for 3 months. After 3 months - it did not work. I next went on Prevacid. After 2 months of not feeling great - I went back to the Gastro guy and he doubled the dose. I then found out I was allergic (broke out in rash) which I am guessing may have contributed to not feeling well. I next went on Nuluv. I had a side effect of severe cramping. I then went on Protonix again with Pamine Forte -and had worse cramps. (it was after that that I received by IBS diagnosis) Was then put on an herbal by Metogenics called Intesol. I also started this diet about 2 months ago. I feel much better than any diet the Gastro guy put me on. The hard part is that everone is different and reacts differently. Unfortunately - the process takes time - hang in there. Anne

#99107 - 08/18/04 09:32 AM
DianeU

Thanks everyone for the advice. Yes, I have started eating smaller meals and eating slower. I noticed that is helping. Chamomile tea also seems to help. I found out when I ate a larger meal that the pressure in my upper abdomen was much worse.

Diane

#99332 - 08/19/04 01:14 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I have Gastritis too. I'm on Protonix for it, and it seems to be working ok. It still acts up sometimes if I eat too much, but it for me Protonix works better then Prilosec or perscription Zantac. I'd say give it more time, at least a month for it to work. I don't really have any other advice, I hope you feel better though

--------------------
IBS-C

#99527 - 08/19/04 04:39 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I've dealt with gastritis too. An Urgent Care doctor put me on Nexium and than I had to wait six weeks for my scopes. When the Gastro. scoped me I still had gastritis and my esopagus was inflammed, but it was only mild. It still took a few months after my scope to feel better.

It takes time to heal and avoid those trigger foods as much as you can. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

#100180 - 08/22/04 06:29 AM
fatgirl1

Reged: 11/04/03

Hi- I really wondered if you could tell me when you referred to trigger foods- what they are. thanks

#100671 - 08/23/04 03:16 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Trigger foods are coffee, cooked tomatoes (raw tomatoes are fine), peppermint, raw broccoli, cauliflower, chocolate, nuts, spicey foods and dairy.

These are my trigger foods, but everyone is different. As long as I take my medication I can handle cooked tomatoes, but the rest of the stuff causes acid reflux for me.

Matter of fact I was in ER Thursday night and my primary doctor thinks I had too much acid in my stomach. I had severe pain after eating spaghetti (sp), which normallly doesn't happen. It will be awhile before I touch tomatoes again.

Hope this helps. Keep a dairy of foods you eat and how you feel afterwards. A dairy not only helps with finding your trigger foods for GERD's, but it works great for IBS trigger foods.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 485 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5590

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review