All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Safe restaurant list?
      #363206 - 01/28/11 11:42 AM
Stacey72

Reged: 01/20/11

Is there a list of safe restaurants available?

Thank u!
Stacey

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Safe restaurant list? new
      #363207 - 01/28/11 11:46 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There are no safe restaurants except maybe sushi. But there are things you can specifically get at some restaurants. There are very few posted at the Brand Name Recommendations sticky post on the first page of this forum. Even when something has no dairy or red meat and seems pretty low fat, a particular chef/cook might add too much oil or butter. It would be hard to say anything would always be safe for anyone.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#363217 - 01/28/11 08:00 PM
Stacey72

Reged: 01/20/11

Thank you!

#363224 - 01/29/11 08:53 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Stacey, it's so funny the way we say "safe" as if we are going to be killed or something. I think we need a new word for IBS.

I eat in any restaurant that I want, except fast food. There is always something that you can order from the menu. For the restuarants that listen to me, well they get a big, fat tip. If it is not how I order it, I send it back. Don't let some from these boards scare you away from restaurants, and enjoying yourself. It can be done!

Also, since I have done 3 rounds of the hypnosis, food really isn't an issue for me anymore. The most I expereince now, on occasion, is a bit of gas. I eat very healthy, even salads to start a meal, with no problems at all.

So, don't limit yourself with restaurants. Just order what you know will benefit your body and not hurt it.

#363225 - 01/29/11 09:09 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is difficult to find a restaurant that prepares "IBS safe" food. I frequently run into difficulties. Even when I ask the chef to prepare a grilled chicken breast, white rice and boiled carrots. Invariably, the chef thinks he will do me a favor by adding a sauce to the chicken or some sort of garnish. I cannot count the number of times I have had to send it back to the kitchen and have them prepare exactly what was ordered.

Eating out at restaurants can be very frustrating at the best of times

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363228 - 01/29/11 09:18 AM
NASCARAFN161

Reged: 01/09/11

Quote:

Eating out at restaurants can be very frustrating at the best of times

You said it. O~o

#363268 - 02/01/11 02:55 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Eating out can be a pain but its not as hard as you may think. I seem to do just fine with subay turkey and quizno's and some baked chips or pretzels. Cracker barrel has a great grilled fish (order plain) and roasted turkey and they serve baked poatoes and I bring my own butter and have a salad and bring my own dressing as well. At a steak house pretty much the same order grilled chicken plain and a baked potato or sweet potato plain and bring your own stuff. Even grilled shrimp is safe as long as there's no butter or and theres very little oil used. hth good luck
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#363278 - 02/02/11 08:22 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I agree with Syl. I generally ask for a plain grilled chicken breast, but have found they add seasonings, etc...however I still find it is the safest thing to try. Also a baked potato (there isn't much they can do with that) however I have found more and more restaurants do not serve them anymore substituting mashed (dairy, etc) or something deep fried, both NOT an option! I also eat gluten free so I have to bring my own bread, crackers, etc...

I have been to Cracker Barrel and had ordered the turkey but it was swimming in gravy (fat and wheat for me a problem).

I don't know about everyone else but the added stress of it all doesn't help either It is difficult as eating out is such a favorite pastime for most people and they have no idea how difficult this can be for IBSers!

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

OF COURSE NO TURKEY AND GRAVEY! new
      #363281 - 02/02/11 12:18 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Not the turkey and gravy the have a rosted turkey sandwitch that I have had plenty of timea nd been safe with. Use your own opions when eating out if you don't feel safe then by all means eat before you go or just sip on some safe tea.
emmasmom
ibs0cgas

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1269 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5779

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review