All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
THe Probiotic/GERD Nightmare
      #359743 - 07/15/10 11:05 AM
annaC

Reged: 07/15/10

Hello
I am new to this board and desperate for answers, or even someone who can relate. I have done multiple searches online regarding this issue, and come up empty. All I find is the same thing--that probiotics are the miracle cure for all forms of IBS, colitis, reflux, etc, and that low acid, yeast, microbes, etc are the underlying cause of all digestive disorders. I totally understand what antibiotics, constipation, and a poor, sugary diet do the the digestive tract in this regard. I have been suffering with reflux and constipation for almost my entire life. (I am 34). I have been on a very strict anti candida diet for eight years!! but am still suffering with reflux, bloating, intestinal spasms, straining to have bm's. I have tried probiotics many times, in many different brands, some dairy free, I've tried it as homemade SCD yogurt, and the result is always the same: Probiotics cause me terrible inflammation, bloating and spasms. They make my gut feel ten times worse almost instantly. It doesn't take much. Consistent use of probiotics can give me reflux so bad that I have to sleep sitting straight up in a chair for weeks at a time, and make it almost impossible to eat. It is very debilitating. I am trying to understand why something that is supposed to be so great for treating my issues causes so much distress. I know I need healthy bacteria; I just can't seem to tolerate it. So many people are helped by probiotics; anyone on here become worse from their use??? Anyone know why this could happen?
Thank you
annaC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: THe Probiotic/GERD Nightmare new
      #359752 - 07/15/10 04:22 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Have you tried Align, VSL#3 or digestive advantage? In clincal trials these probiotics have been shown to be moderate useful for bloating and pain for some people. Most probiotics have not been shown to be clinically effect for managing IBS symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359754 - 07/15/10 07:47 PM
ELF

Reged: 06/05/10
Loc: Kansas City, MO

Anna C,
I can definitely relate! I'm convinced that my IBS is caused by probiotics - I can trace it back to the day I ate a particular (very popular) yogurt. I went from a completely normal, functioning digestive system to severe heartburn, spasms, etc. overnight. At first I didn't know what was causing it, so in my quest to find something to reduce the gas it was recommended to take acidophilus pearls, which I'm sure only made the issue worse. 7 months later I'm still paying for it. All my doctors seem to know about probiotics is that they're 'wonderful', but no one seems to know about the adverse effects and what to do about them.

I find that Gaviscon helps with the heartburn, but have yet to find something that works well for bloating, spasms and gas other than dicyclomine.

I'm sorry you have the misery of all this, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one who is affected by probiotics this way.

Feel better!

--------------------
IBS-D since 12/2009

#359765 - 07/16/10 07:36 AM
annaC

Thank you so much for responding and sharing your struggle. wow, that is quite a powerful reaction. Good to know I'm not crazy. With all my issues--severe lifelong constipation, antibiotics, etc, the chances of me having candida are great. My dr keeps pushing the probiotics but even a few grains can spell disaster. I wish I knew why they affected some people, like us, in this way. Thank you for sharing your experience and advice
annaC

#359766 - 07/16/10 07:38 AM
annaC

Hi Syl
I did not know that most probiotics have not been shown to be helpful with IBS. I wish I could find that. Everything I read says they are the only answer. I looked up align--it contains a strain of bifido, which is usually the roughest on my IBS but I could give this one a try. Thanks for the tips!
annaC

#359769 - 07/16/10 08:16 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might check the American College of Gastroenterology Task Force on IBS An Evidence-Based Systematic Review on the Management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Check section 2.11 "Effectiveness of probiotics in the management of irritable bowel syndrome" on page S20. In summary it says "In single organism studies, lactobacilli do not appear effective for patients with IBS; bifidobacteria and certain combinations of probiotics demonstrate some efficacy". To date Bifidobacterium infantis found in Align has been shown to be quite effective.

Note that not all bifido species are known to be effective and all probiotics are likely to cause an increase in bloating for a week or two. If you do a search of the IBS diet board using a long time period you find many informative posts on this issue.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1366 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3643

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review