All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
rice cakes and fiber
      #34918 - 01/02/04 03:27 PM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

I'm sorry to ask this question again -- I know its been asked before and i did do a search -- but i still could not come up with the answer.

Rice cakes seem to work as a good soluble fiber, starting food, and setback food. They have become a real staple for my daughter. We were wondering about the fact that she is eating rice cakes made with brown rice -- wouldn't they also contain some insoluble fiber? Also - why is the fiber content listed as "0" on many of the rice cakes?

In doing my searching i came upon some of my old posts, and just wanted to mention to you all - how much better my daughter is doing than she was a few months ago. (home now for Christmas break) She is feeling good almost all the time, cheerful and at a good weight now. Any of the old struggles with "C" and indigestion seem to have gone from almost intolerable to very mild. Its like a miracle. All thanks to Heather's diet, soluble fiber supplements and all you wonderful and caring people on this board. It is still challenging and sometimes difficult to be eating so specifically and to fit in all the right things, and leave out all the wrong things --- in the dorm situation and especially off campus -- but she is amazinly diligent about following the guidelines and its also so good to know that she has some control over how she feels and knows how to get straightened out if she gets feeling bad. Thank you all sooo much.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: rice cakes and fiber new
      #34922 - 01/02/04 03:42 PM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

Wonderful to hear that your daughter is doing so well. I only wish this website was dispensed on prescription with every diagnosis of IBS, instead of us poor people having to desperately search for it amidst the vast sea of overwhelmingly wierd and scary dietary and health advice out there!

As for rice cakes, many seem to be just fine with them and standard brown rice. I know there's some insoluble fibre, but maybe with brown rice it's a much gentler form than other insoluble fibres? Just guessing here. As for the fibre content on the packet, I can only think that there isn't much substance to a single rice cake made up of puffed rice.

When I first tried rice cakes I thought it resembled a polystyrene(?sp) tile, but I think they're an acquired taste and I now rather enjoy them!

#34938 - 01/02/04 05:13 PM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

I have eaten rice cakes almost everyday since I discovered them...until I skipped a few days and bam an attck...may be coinsidence....I was even a little c with them, I get the apple cinnamon they seem to be safe, and yummy

--------------------
Gretchen

Styro-cakes!!!!!! new
      #34946 - 01/02/04 06:21 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I think you are right on Shells.....in one rice cake they really DON'T know how much fiber is in one, don't care, or don't feel the need to test it to give that information (sigh). Anyway, if they make you feel good then chomp away. I personally have learned to love them. I have a package in each of our cars, in my (always ready) travel bag, and usually one in a zip-lock in my purse. Eating one not only is low, low calorie but gives you that (mostly) soluble fiber you need on the tummy before consuming any other foods. When I'm home I often splurge and add a teaspoon of peanut butter, or cinnamon/sugar/ or natural jelly (without HFCS)..................yum. Besides that, I take them to the movies and while every one else is eating the high cal buttered popcorn I have my stro-cakes!!!!
(No one fights me for them either!!!)
Kandee

--------------------

Re: Styro-cakes!!!!!! new
      #36967 - 01/12/04 05:20 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

KAndee,
What is HCFS, and when you put on the cinnamon sugar, how do you make it stick? This is such a great snack idea. I tend to eat baked chips and pretzels, so another option is great!
Thanks,
Joan

#37031 - 01/12/04 07:25 PM
Kandee

Hi Joan,
HFCS is High Fructose Corn Syrup....if you have a problem with it (I do) then it will almost always trigger me. Look at the US made jams and jellies...almost all of them use it, so I buy ones that usually come from France or England (available in just my local grocery store). They use only sugar.....or...........use one that's fruit only...

As to how to make the cinnamon/sugar stick???? I just spray the rice cake with Pam first.......Bingo it sticks. I do this with toast too....(Rice bread toast that is). I LOVE Baked Lays but can't do pretzels due to a wheat allergy so it has to be styro-cakes nekkid or with something yummy on them. I suppose some soy cream cheese with jam would be good too, or use the styro-cake like you would an English muffin and take some soy/rice cheese with a slice of tomato and broil until bubbly. I love melted cheese on styro-cakes, especially with soup.

Kandee

--------------------

#37071 - 01/13/04 06:26 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

Great idea on taking them to the movies. My family goes to movies alot, and I feel very deprived because I cannot snarf down the popcorn with them! I'll buy those mini rice cakes and take them with me from now on and that'll be my "popcorn". Thanks for the tip!

#37084 - 01/13/04 07:32 AM
sugar

Reged: 02/08/03
Loc: Calistoga, CA

The last time I ate rice cakes they were carmel flavored.
They triggard a bad attack. Rice cakes have always
given me gas and I can't figure out why. I love them.
I have some plain ones here that I bought to take to the show
but I'm afraid to eat them after having that attack.
Why would a rice cake give me gas?
Before I knew I wasn't supposed to drink apple
juice I used to love to eat rice cakes and drink
apple juice. I can see that the juice is what
was giving me the gas but now I'm

--------------------
A Safe Place

#37090 - 01/13/04 08:00 AM
Kandee

Try the plain ones Val. For some reason I CAN'T tolerate the flavored ones, but can the plain ones...........oh and another thing. The brand makes a difference. I bought some at a health food store and they were to high in insoluble fiber (brown rice) so they triggered me. Good old Quaker Plain, lightly salted, 35 cal. in each is my mainstay!!

Kandee

--------------------

#371148 - 04/28/14 12:46 AM
samathaalnutt

Reged: 04/28/14

we shouldn't ignore the daily security in our life such as the GPS tracking or other method used by someone to steal our privacy. Therefore a cell phone signal blocker device which can be got from http://www.jammerfromchina.com/categories/Mobile_Phone_Jammers/ with a good function of cutting off cell phone signals as well as other frequency bands signals can help to create the security system to protect us. And then we can enjoy the quiet and peaceful environment.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 386 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15712

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review