All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Grape Nuts?
      #340428 - 01/04/09 04:01 PM
em76

Reged: 05/10/08
Loc: Massachusetts

I have been having a craving for Grape Nuts lately - and I am a little confused on whether or not they would be ok. I did a search on here and found a conversation from 2003 where Heather stated they are ok, but maybe they have had an ingredient change?

WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT FLOUR, WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, SALT, DRIED YEAST, SOY LECITHIN. VITAMINS AND MINERALS: REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, ZINC OXIDE (SOURCE OF ZINC), VITAMIN B6, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D.

The Whole grain wheat flour is making them forbidden isn't it? Don't want to dismiss this cereal without checking first b/c back in the day I loved this stuff.

--------------------
Started EFI 6/13/2008: IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Grape Nuts? new
      #340443 - 01/05/09 08:26 AM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

I used to eat Grape Nuts about 3 or 4 years back and I remember that they did not settle well. They seemed to be really hard to digest.

Re: Grape Nuts? new
      #340446 - 01/05/09 08:57 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

In that old thread the poster said Grape-Nuts was a barley cereal. Based on the current ingredient list it's mostly whole wheat with a little barley so it looks like the ingredients have changed. Consider Grape-Nuts a source of Insoluble Fiber. It doesn't mean you can't eat it but you'll need a good SF base when you do so. You could try stirring a little into oatmeal or applesauce and see how you do.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

kind of like 'Colon Blow' -nt new
      #340473 - 01/05/09 05:41 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 585 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3293

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review