All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
very important question about wheat and Lepicol
      #312748 - 08/07/07 02:06 PM
zuzanka23

Reged: 07/20/07
Loc: UK

hi everyone, I wanted to ask u all a question. I started buying healthy food from a health food shop and one say I asked a sales assistant a quedtion about IBS. that lady told me she has ibs too and she told me the worst food to eat is WHEAT and DIARY PRODUCTS. well I already know about diary but I thought that wheat is ok. I mean I read on here that pasta and white bread is ok, but she said NO NO to these. do u know if that's the truth? I also got something called Lepicol which is powder that u mix with water and drink and its supposed to make your bowel healthy. Has anyone tried that before?? I would really appreaciate everything u can say to this. Thank you very much for any advices.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I think... new
      #312895 - 08/09/07 07:47 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

....many Health food store employees try to scare people away from wheat so that they can sell them all the expensive wheat free and/or gluten free products. They are horribly expensive.

Also, one of my coworkers, who has never shopped in a HFS mentioned that she has been hearing lots about how eating "gluten free" seems to be a fad now.

I don't know what to believe. I don't know what or who to believe. Many people with IBS have been helped by avoiding wheat products....but it may be psychological too. I think most dieticians and doctors still would say wheat is okay for IBS. I've been wheat free and I don't think it has helped. In fact, it may have caused different, but worse, symptoms. It is very expensive (talking 7 or 8 bucks for a loaf consisting of 13 pieces). And very limiting to the diet.

But, like I said, some people say it really helps them...and I believe them.

IBS is just a mystery. Not one thing helps any two people.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: very important question about wheat and Lepicol new
      #312897 - 08/09/07 08:17 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I know it's in contradiction to Heather's diet but i find that cutting out wheat and dairy works wonders for me (i'm IBS-C), as well as minimising rather than cutting out the other trigger foods on the EFI diet.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#312900 - 08/09/07 09:04 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi, I went wheat free for about a month over the winter, and it seemed to help a bit with my IBS. However, after reading over Heather's guidelines, I think one of the reasons that it might have been somewhat effective is because I was avoiding all the high-fat baked goods that I used to consume (I have a horrible sweet tooth!). I also went dairy free at the time as well, since I am lactose intolerant, so that probably helped contribute. I agree that lately it seems to be a "diet fad" for even your non-IBS folks, so its hard to judge. Personally, I try to keep a balance between wheat and other sources of SF. I don't cut it out altogether, because it is a good source of soluble fiber and I am IBS-D. Have you ever had the gluten intolerance tests done? There are two methods -- blood work and the procedure where they put a tube down into your stomach to look at the hairs (villi). Anyway, that's what I can contribute -- sorry, I've never heard of that medicine/supplement that you got at the HFS. Keep us posted on how it fares with you!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant.

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

very important question about wheat and Lepicol new
      #312985 - 08/10/07 10:57 AM
zuzanka23

Reged: 07/20/07
Loc: UK

hello, thank you very much for your advices. Well i am trying to stop eating wheat, but it's like everything i like to eat contains wheat, so its quite difficult. anyway, I bought some wheat free bread which tastes ok and some cakes as well. I havent tried that Lepicol out yet, because i wanted to see if anyone has got any experience with it, but i might try it soon. I am going for a food sensitivity test on monday, do u think thats a good idea?? Well i hope they will be able to tell me if i am sensitive to some food and see if that works. I will keep u informed and if u have any other ideas i should know about, please let me know. I also wanted to ask, does anyone know if eating food that contains egg is really that bad? I mean like all the cakes that are wheat free still contain some egg, so its hard to eat anything. Please let me know. Thank you.

#313005 - 08/10/07 07:12 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I think the bottom line here is you want to eat something that won't have an effect on you. If it bothers you, don't eat it. Many people are sensitive or allergic to wheat and don't realize it. I suppose you could take it out of your diet for awhile and see if you feel better, or not. All grains, by the way, especially wheat and corn, are commonly contaminated with fungal poisons, which can contribute to fungal problems, manifesting as IBS/IBD symptoms. If you've ever taken antibiotics, they are also fungal toxins.(People with IBD and IBS have found relief by eliminating grains and sugar til their gut heals and gets rid of the fungus/yeast).If you can eat it with no problems, count yourself lucky, and go make yourself a sandwich

#313251 - 08/15/07 03:10 AM
saraUK

Reged: 07/26/07

I saw my nutritionist yesterday and she said that even if you don't have a wheat/gluten intolerance or allergy, wheat can be very difficult for the gut to digest, so if you're having an ibs attack or are not feeling particularly well it's best to avoid wheat and try rye, oats and millet. try the rye breads in health food shops or bakery counters- I make rye loaf at home (if you add raisins and toast the slices its like a lovely tea loaf)
ref the Lepicol- I used to take this and it is a good supplement. you may find though that you get more gas/bloating as it does affect some people this way. don't let this put you off though, try it and if it doesnt suit you try Heather's Acacia fibre as this won't cause bloating.
good luck!

#313253 - 08/15/07 04:29 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

My experience is similar to the one of caputsky. I went on a GF diet last year and initially is seemed to work wonders. I felt better, my stomach didn't seem to bloat as much, etc. Well, that lasted about 3 months and even during these I'd get attacks out of nowhere. The diet seemed to stop working as I was able to find more substitutes for the foods I previously ate (e.g., a gluten free cake that also happened to be full of butter and made me hurt and bloated for days). I think the reason why it seemed to work was that I was just avoiding all kinds of foods and mostly survived on plain rice cakes.
Now I'm trying Heather's diet and it seems that quitting dairy really worked for my C (although I miss cheese).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 284 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4621

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review