All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Simple Car trips are nerve wracking!
      #305506 - 04/20/07 08:54 AM
Heath

Reged: 04/20/07

I have struggled with IBS-D for quite some time ( approximately 10 years) and have recently decided to do more than just struggle. My Dr prescribed dicyclomine for my attacks and she seems pretty well informed about the issues I face. My most pressing problem is my fear of traveling, simply a 30 minute car ride is pure torture. I believe I induce attacks by the nervous behaviour of the days leading up to the drive. My Dr suggested the possiblity of lorazepam to difuse the anxiety. Has anyone had experience with this drug and/or information about it making my situation worse instead of better?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Simple Car trips are nerve wracking! new
      #305514 - 04/20/07 09:35 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

Heath
I can really relate to what you wrote.
In 2000 i went on an Drug called Paxil for other reasons than IBS. However i found that it greatly improved my IBS symptoms. Having said that, i believe that anti depressants/anti anxiety drugs may indeed be able to help.
I am seriously thinking of going back on Paxil.

mybellhurts

#305515 - 04/20/07 09:48 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Hi,
Im on a drug called Elavil which helps with the IBS-D as well as the anxiety. You have to be careful with some of the anti-anxiety meds, because some increase serotonin levels in the gut, speeding things up (good for C'ers, bad for D'ers)So far, Elavil is the only anti-anxiety drug I know of that is good for IBS-D

Re: Lyndeigh new
      #305516 - 04/20/07 10:14 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

My understanding is that Elavil is not an anti-anxiety medication, at least not at the low doses usually prescribed to manage IBS and pain. But you're right, like other tricyclic anti-depressants prescribed at low doses, it's really helpful for those suffering from IBS-D.

#305517 - 04/20/07 10:16 AM
lalala

I've taken lorazepam for panic attacks and IBS attacks. However, a lot of people claim that hypnotherapy has helped them manage the stress, anxiety, and nervous behavior that can trigger IBS symptoms. If you're not ready to try anti-anxiety meds, I'd recommend checking out the Hypnosis for IBS board for more info.

Re: Maria new
      #305525 - 04/20/07 10:41 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

My Primary Care Physican told me that Elavil can be used to treat anxiety. Since I have started taking it, I have noticed a great deal of decrease in my anxiety.

Re: Lyndeigh new
      #305528 - 04/20/07 10:48 AM
lalala

Obviously, my PCP told me a different story. Oh well! I'm just glad that it IS helping you and you're feeling better. That's also great news for other IBS-Ders with anxiety issues who are reading this. Best wishes!

#305530 - 04/20/07 11:01 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I am taking 10mg of Lexapro for anxiety. It has also helped with my ibs-d but I should note that I was on the road to stability for about 5 months when I started taking it.

Follow this diet, think about trying Acacia (definitely will help with the d), consider the hypno too...I just finished that. Also, you might want to try taking a calcium supplement...make sure it is calcium carbonate (NOT citrate) which will help (I took Caltrate Plus...600 mg daily...but the recommended is 1000-1200 daily.)

As far as driving anxiety goes, I totally hear you. You are certainly not the only one here who feels that way. Never mind 30 minutes...I used to stress over 10-15 if it was with someone I didn't know well. I do take clorazapam(I thought that was the spelling?) which is the generic for klonopin. Just 5mg and only when really needed now since I am on the Lexapro. I probably take it like three times/month. It does help and comes in higher dosages too but I didn't want to get addicted to it so that's why I started the lexapro.

If you are new here, you'll see that once you start the diet and have less attacks, you'll feel more confident that you will be "okay" during a car ride b/c you ate well. Nerves definitely play a role...I have sent myself into a tailspin of d just thinking about upcoming events. That's what this message board is all about....helping to support each other and give strategies for eating and stress and getting through those tough moments. Welcome.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#305536 - 04/20/07 12:41 PM
Heath

Reged: 04/20/07

The drug my Dr prescribed is actaully Lorazapam, it's a benzodiazepine just like the clorazapam you were prescribed. Thanks for the support, until I found this web page and message board, I thought I was one of a minority struggling with these issues. Thanks again!

#305562 - 04/20/07 05:26 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

No problem. I strongly encourage you to read all you can on this site and possibly get the books. This is a whole new way of thinking/living with IBS where you actually find that you have "some" control over it and that is half the battle...not feeling hopeless and/or helpless. You are definitely not alone. Finding this board made me feel the same way...like I wasn't a crazy hypochondriac who brought all of this on myself with my nerves. You will really improve, just be patient and diligent b/c it takes a long time to figure out the ins and outs of what works best for you. But rest assured that the SF and other suggestions I made should definitely help with your d visibly very soon. And I certainly wouldn't be opposed to taking the meds if it is going to help you "live." I was very hesitant at first but I figure I only live once and each day was being eaten up by my anxiety over IBS that I was really missing out.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1239 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3011

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review