All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Natural Calm ?
      #298808 - 02/03/07 02:09 PM
jshelt

Reged: 01/31/07

So I am thinking of trying Natural Calm. I am constipated again because my period is over. When I have taken MOM bad stomach pain and gas and when I have taked Miralax horrible gas pains. Does natural calm give anyone gas? Also, is there anything else that any of you take for constipation?

Thanks for all of your help and insights!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Natural Calm ? new
      #298811 - 02/03/07 02:25 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Quote:

when I have taked Miralax horrible gas pains

I was the same... well, mine weren't horrible, but I had so much more gas... and it did hurt.

Quote:

Does natural calm give anyone gas?

It didn't cause me to have gas. I haven't read gas to be a side effect (and Miralax tells you you might get gas if you take it, right).

Quote:

Also, is there anything else that any of you take for constipation?

I think Magnesium Citrate (the ingredient in Natural Calm) is the best thing. Are you in the US? If you are, you can find Magnesium Citrate generic in some pharmacies (in a little glass bottle, different flavors like cherry and lemon... cherry is nice, lemon is well... lemon, I didn't like it). Ask for it, it's cheaper to get it this way. Also, I didn't like Natural Calm's flavors as much as the cherry generic flavor (OK, I'm a baby, I like tasty things)

I am glad you decided to take Natural Calm, though, because I think it had a tremendous effect on my stabilization. Thanks to the folks on this board, who told me about Natural Calm, I stabilized fine (and thanks to Heather's diet too!). So, now I encourage C people to get Natural Calm, because it is soooo gentle and so good for us.

Go for it!
--J

#298813 - 02/03/07 02:39 PM
jshelt

Reged: 01/31/07

Thanks Jeio. I am in Arizona so I will look for it at one of the many drug stores we have here. I will have to post my result from it later.

#298819 - 02/03/07 03:33 PM
christie71

Reged: 01/20/07

I too, am thinking of incorporating Natural Calm or Magnesium Citrate, into my "regimen". Do most people taking this for constipation take the dose on the bottle and daily?

#298829 - 02/03/07 07:59 PM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

what dose of the natural calm did you take?

#298838 - 02/03/07 10:22 PM
Jeio

No, the bottle is 10 oz, I took 2 oz for awhile, then had to increase to 2.5 oz, and then had to decrease back to 2 and then 1.5 oz until I could stop taking it completely (because I had incorporated enough IF in my diet to keep C away).

#298839 - 02/03/07 10:25 PM
Jeio

I took Mag Citrate, never figured out the right dose for Natural Calm. I was trying to take more (because the dose I was at didn't work), but the taste was getting terrible and I cound NOT stand it. It was not going to happen -- taking something I absolutely HATE in a larger concentration for a long time, so I just dropped the natural calm in favor of the generic thing that I actually could stand the taste of.

Sorry can't be of any help for Natural Calm. They have dosage guidelines on the container, though.

--J

#298845 - 02/04/07 05:26 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

The container says you can take 3 teaspoons a day...but I only take 1 tsp and only every 3 days or so. But I take Miralax also. When I don't take Miralax (substituting Zelnorm for a week at a time) I take the NC (1 tsp) every night.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#299113 - 02/06/07 12:08 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I love the stuff and take 2-3 teaspoons every night. I found that regular old magnesium citrate did not work nearly as well as the Natural Calm.

MoM usually gave me D, as well as gas and some cramping the following day. Not very gentle!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#299482 - 02/10/07 02:06 PM
Jennifer86

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: UK

Quote:

I am glad you decided to take Natural Calm, though, because I think it had a tremendous effect on my stabilization. Thanks to the folks on this board, who told me about Natural Calm, I stabilized fine (and thanks to Heather's diet too!). So, now I encourage C people to get Natural Calm, because it is soooo gentle and so good for us.

Jeio,

Remember me...a while ago you advised me to try Natural Calm but I couldn't find it in my health food shops over here. I did find a bottle of magnesium citrate (food supplement) which you have to take 3 times a day. Not sure if it's the right stuff? It doesn't necessarily say it helps constipation...it says "Magnesium helps to regulate calcium transport and is essential for proper bone mineralisation. Magnesium also plays a role in muscle contractions and nerve impulses." Unless by muscle contractions it means contractions of the bowel muscle?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1059 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9788

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review