Help For Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Education, Support, & Self Help for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Heather & Company View Cart
Shop for IBSIBS Message BoardsIBS News & ReviewsStore Finder
Home
IBS Diet & Recipes
IBS Books
IBS Supplements
Yoga for IBS
Hypnosis for IBS
Tummy Teas
Get The IBS Diet Cheat Sheet
Get Trigger Foods, Safe Foods, Ten Commandments of Eating for IBS, More!

Enter First Name:

Enter Email:

We value your privacy

SQL ERROR: Unable to do_query: SELECT B_Number FROM w3t_Posts WHERE B_Topic = 1 AND B_Board = 'diet' AND B_Approved = 'yes' ORDER BY B_Last_Post DESC LIMIT 12
Error writing file '/tmp/MYLBvQiY' (Errcode: 28)QUERY ERROR
Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /var/www/boards/wwwroot/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 158
All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Discussion Board

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey
Which calcium supplement do you suggest of IBS-D?
      #290321 - 11/16/06 08:30 PM

I'd like to try to take a calcium supplement, but I'm not sure which one or how much. I did a search but I'm not sure about the whole calcium-magnesium ratio (I understand that magnesium helps to absorb the calcium, but can you just take calcium by itself?) I thought the calcium might also help with D. Is it calcium citrate that I should be looking for in the store? How many milligrams/day and does it matter if you take it before/after food, morning or night? Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada
Re: Which calcium supplement do you suggest of IBS-D? new
      #290322 - 11/16/06 08:35 PM

I take a tablet which has 333mg calcium, 150mg magnesium. Any calcium/magnesium supplement will have the correct ratio. I can't remember what type of calcium it is though, and I don't have the original bottle.

When I was less stable (had more D) I took Calcium only. I switched to the magnesium ones cuz they were cheaper, and I have no problems with them either.

I used to take 3 per day but now only 1, since I am also getting calcium from soy milk, and enriched cereals (my oatmeal has calcium). I usually take it with a meal, lunch or dinner usually.

--------------------
Kat

Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)
      #290323 - 11/16/06 08:44 PM

I did some research on this a while back and this is what I came up with:

calcium citrate is good if you’re constipated (Citracal)

calcium carbonate is good if you have diarrhea:
Tums (but they have mineral oil)
Caltrate
OsCal
Viactiv (but most - perhaps all - flavors have dairy)

My understanding is that magnesium is bad for diarrhea so I don't take it and no one - not my Family Practice doctor or my orthopedist or my endocrinologist - has suggested I do so.

I take my calcium in the form of Tums. At some point I read that your body can't handle more than 500mg of calcium at a time, so that's how much I take at once. I take mine with lunch, with dinner, and right before bed for a total of 1500mg a day. I like Tums because I have mild reflux so I'm getting 2 for the price of 1, but I think *any* calcium carbonate will have an antacid effect because - as far as I can tell - it's the calcium carbonate itself that acts as the antacid in Tums. There's nothing else in there except color and flavor.

I started very slowly with 200mg of calcium per day and went up very slowly, adding no more than 200mg per day at a time.

I have a vague sense that calcium is more "bioavailable" if you take it with food - I guess you're fooling your body into thinking you're eating something that has calcium - but I don't know that for sure.

One thing I did find out was that I'm not getting enough Vitamin D. My endocrinologist checked for that the last time I saw her. Apparently you need Vitamin D to process calcium. She wants me to get 1200 IU of Vitamin D per day which is 3 times the Recommended Daily Allowance - you should check with your doctor before getting that much. I've been getting 400 from my multi-vitamin (One A Day Essential) and I'm adding the rest gradually - 200 IU at a time. If you're out and about outside your body is probably making enough Vitamin D from the exposure to sunlight. Some calcium supplements have Vitamin D built right in.

So:
calcium carbonate if you're IBS-D
1500mg per day
500mg at a time
make sure you're getting or your body is making enough Vitamin D

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey
      #290326 - 11/16/06 09:01 PM