All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Do Graham Crackers make you have loose stools?
      #277598 - 08/08/06 07:48 AM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

I have been eating Graham Crackers off and on for a few days now. They seems to make my stools loose. Does this effect other people too??

Marilla

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Do Graham Crackers make you have loose stools? new
      #277600 - 08/08/06 07:49 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

They are actually one of my safer foods! But, thats what makes ibs so hard, is that everyone is so different!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#277607 - 08/08/06 08:47 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Graham crackers are one of my staples too. I eat them when I can't eat anything else. I love 'em, and they always sound good to me...even if nothing else does.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

They can new
      #277628 - 08/08/06 09:45 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Nabisco Graham Crackers contain the following ingredients

Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], Folic Acid), Graham Flour, Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Molasses Preserved With Sulfur Dioxide, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Leavening (Baking Soda, Calcium Phosphate), Salt, Malted Barley Flour

Note that they contain HFC. Fructose can cause D in IBS individuals that suffer from fructose malabsorption. This is caused by HFC, honey, pears, apples, mellons of all kinds and juice from these fruits. For details see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption
http://www.bashaar.org.il/files/101022005111814.pdf

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: They can...Reply to Syl new
      #277636 - 08/08/06 10:24 AM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

If Graham Crackers contain so many adverse ingredients, why are they on Heather's list "Snacks, Quick Foods, and Good Grub to Grab in a Hurry" dated 04/27/04 in the IBS Diet page. They are so good and I thought I had a safe food, but now am wondering. What do you think??

Marilla

#277641 - 08/08/06 11:12 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

You can buy graham crackers that don't have all that stuff in them. I'm personally fine with them. I eat Nabisco low fat honey grahams or Keebler low fat grahams. But I've also tried grahams from a health food store. And I think the regular Keebler grahams don't have as much in them. I think that's what Heather recommends, but I'm not sure. You just have to read labels.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#277650 - 08/08/06 12:39 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Good question. Heather does not seem to emphasis the problems of fructose malabsorption. Perhaps she is not familiar with the recent research findings that a large percentage of IBS suffers have problems digesting carbohydrates, in particular, lactose and fructose. I have had IBS for 40+ years. Recently I discovered this research. I found that if I removed high fructose fruits, vegetables, honey and of course corn syrup my IBS pain and alternating D/C was reduced by more than 50%. I can now identify other individual triggers. I have known for 20+ years that graham crackers are on my 'do not eat list' I am sure it is because of the corn syrup, honey and/or fat content. Of course it depends on who made them. Too bad - I really enjoyed them with peanut butter!

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Edited by Syl (08/08/06 05:13 PM)

#277673 - 08/08/06 03:30 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

My understanding is that graham flour is a whole wheat flour. I treat graham crackers like I do brown rice - I eat them both, but in moderation and only if I am doing well otherwise. Someone correct me if I am wrong about graham flour being a whole wheat flour.

#277700 - 08/08/06 08:37 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Good question. Heather does not seem to emphasis the problems of fructose malabsorption. Perhaps she is not familiar with the recent research findings that a large percentage of IBS suffers have problems digesting carbohydrates, in particular, lactose and fructose.

Perhaps you have not read Heather's EFI Guidelines. Heather is quite clear that both lactose and fructose can present problems for IBSers. She recommends avoiding dairy completely due to problems with lactose as well as with the dairy proteins whey and casein. She recommends caution around fructose. (web page)

If you do a Search within the Website for "fructose" you can find references to the role of fructose in IBS in the Newsletters. There are also references to the role of fructose in IBS dating back to at least 2003.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Graham flour is a form of whole wheat flour (m) new
      #277702 - 08/08/06 08:47 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

although modern graham flours may not contain the wheat germ, only the bran. You can do a Search on graham flour on the Recipe Board and find some old threads about this. Store-bought graham crackers seem to list plain white flour as the first ingredient and graham flour further down, so graham crackers are a combination of a soluble fiber flour and an insoluble fiber flour. I think your analogy with brown rice is an excellent one.

BTW, graham crackers are no longer on the What To Eat When You Can't Eat Anything list on the Board, although they are on the list in the EFI Book. (web page)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 942 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9453

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review